Waves SSL E-Channel for just $29!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1wob2many wrote:
pascal020 wrote:This thread is flooding with fanboi and off-topic crap.

Are you sleeping mods?
We're all very sorry that KVR doesn't meet up to your high standards. We promise to try harder and hope that in time you'll come to forgive us.
No problem. I will adapt to kindergarten standards. :clown:

1rgal9.jpg

krabbencutter wrote:
1rgal9.jpg
How much did you think one could chat about
"...its just $29!, wow, can you imagine, and even less if you... etc.". :hyper:

I think the discourse has so far worderfully supported the topic.

Compyfox wrote:
Burillo wrote:actually, Waves SSL actually does model some kind of saturation (there's a third-order harmonic at around -80dB), and it does alias because of this. see this frequency sweep:
At which frequency were you? You said "sweep", yet this image is obviously from a static position?

I'm not disregarding that this plugin aliases (should be easy to unveil with a sweep nearby the Nyquist frequency) - it is "old code" after all and oversampling technology has improved over the years. Just for the record.
no, that's not a frequency response graph, that's a spectrogram of a sine sweep (so frequency plotted against time - hence not static). the bold pink line is the base (up then down, 0 to Niquist, default REAPER sine sweep JS effect), the green ones are harmonics, etc. i'm sure you know what spectrogram is. no harmonics in T-Racks, plus you can clearly see the antialiasing lowpass there (the sweep doesn't reach the very top end), but in Waves plugin you can see the sweep reaching the very top (so no filtering up to the Nyquist), and you can clearly see a (third-order) harmonic making past the spectrograph's gate (i think it was set at -100dB), although as i already pointed out, it's subtle.

that said, whether oversampling technology has improved over the years is irrelevant - it doesn't have any oversampling in the first place :)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I'm... er... "aware" of what a Spectogram is. Guess I misinterpreted that one with the frequency analysis for a moment...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Perhaps someone could hear the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMUaxrXdVuU

Den* wrote:Perhaps someone could hear the difference.

I was going to post this earlier, but it's a little slow. Whatever differences are there, it's certainly not night and day to me.

To be honest, I find the NLS a good companion for their SSL. It means you're not using the same "tone" on everything, as Andrew Scheps like to word it. Which also means it doesn't lead to other potential issues.

These kind of "comparisons" are more or less useless, the case material here is mainly a dull drumloop. How could you hear differencies of the fine tone colors, frequencies etc. No adjustions done during the "test". In addition to that, I bet most of the people listen this with computer speakers.
On the other hand, that's how the music is often consumpted today, which leads to the question how much more important is how you use your tools, how you put your sounds together (how much less do we debate of that),
the role of a good source material, a good mix, and a good mastering. Nice tools are good to have, but more than half of the hype is just software developers hype$busibess.
How useful null test etc. theoretical measurements with audio spectrometers etc. are in the big picture - how much the music maker/producer is worth concentrating on these (othet than an intellectual excercise). :arrow:

ghettosynth wrote:

I was going to post this earlier, but it's a little slow. Whatever differences are there, it's certainly not night and day to me.
Hi
It depends on your listening equipment and room.
The best way to make a decision is to take demo of Acustica Audio Sand plugin, and Waves E/Channel demo.

http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=189

No channel strip in the world is going to make my music sound worse or better. In the end it's up to the skills of the user ...as always. I actually wish there were a channel strip that you can just slap on to your track, without any tweaking, and by magic make the track sound wonderful. :p
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:No channel strip in the world is going to make my music sound worse or better. In the end it's up to the skills of the user ...as always. I actually wish there were a channel strip that you can just slap on to your track, without any tweaking, and by magic make the track sound wonderful. :p
Neutron supposedly does that

shidostrife wrote:
ATN69 wrote:No channel strip in the world is going to make my music sound worse or better. In the end it's up to the skills of the user ...as always. I actually wish there were a channel strip that you can just slap on to your track, without any tweaking, and by magic make the track sound wonderful. :p
Neutron supposedly does that
Yeah, I tried the demo and it sure can give guidance and help, but it still needs some manual tweaking to get it right.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I bought it because of the presets. :help:

(Neutron yea:
Give it a bass track and it "finds out", that it's a percussion sound. You never stop learning i guess. ;))
- WonderEcho -

Compyfox wrote:
Ichad.c wrote:A better test for analog modelling(for filters not comps) is too test if the transformers are modeled or not. First test 1kHz for distortion, then test 50Hz, if the transformers are modeled, there will be more distortion @50Hz.
IMO 50Hz in plugin form usually gives no suitable results, but that doesn't mean that you can't measure it regardless.
Proof is always better than theory. Here are some pics of a real m6 silicon steel transformer that is in my diy re-amp box. All transformers will have somewhat similar responses, whether it be silicon steel, permalloy or radio-metal. They would have little to none saturation @1kHz compared to 50Hz. The 3rd Harmonic usually dominates.

where to host images

Cheers

Return to “Effects”