UVI Vintage vault vs Arturia V4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ingonator wrote: I have never checked ME80 so no idea how it compares to CS-80V.
I've only demo'd these but, I preferred CS-80V. ME80 was harder/brighter and overall a less convincing analogue emulation than the creamy warm CS-80V.

db3 wrote:
Ingonator wrote: I have never checked ME80 so no idea how it compares to CS-80V.
I've only demo'd these but, I preferred CS-80V. ME80 was harder/brighter and overall a less convincing analogue emulation than the creamy warm CS-80V.
I found exactly the same conclusion in my lats post here. I compared ME80 to both CS-80 V2 and my Korg DW-8000 to also compare to a real analog synth (in lack of a real CS-80...).
As alraedy mentioned ME80 seems to seriously lack in the low end and the overall sound is not really analog like for my taste, also when compared to CS-80 V2 and my DW-8000.

Overall i seem to like CS-80V more than ME-80, independent on how good emulations both plugins are.
Anyway i have a feeling that sound wise none of them actually is a perfect emulation of the real thing while IMO CS-80 V2 sound good on it's own.
Numanoid wrote:
Ingonator wrote:I have never checked ME80 so no idea how it compares to CS-80V.
I think ME80 is the best plug I have ever encountered :hail:
I own a lot of plugins, have owned some more in the past (FWIW this also included Memorymoon and Messiah...) and also checked a lot of demo versions of plugins i had not purchased yet. Not to forget i won and owned several real analog synths.
Based on those experiences ME80 is not even close to the best synth i have ever used, especially if we talk about plugins like e.g. Diva and the Xils Lab synths that sound wise are a LOT better than ME80.
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:I compared ME80 to both CS-80 V2 and my Korg DW-8000 to also compare to a real analog synth (in lack of a real CS-80...).
Erm....
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
Ingonator wrote:I compared ME80 to both CS-80 V2 and my Korg DW-8000 to also compare to a real analog synth (in lack of a real CS-80...).
Erm....
As i tried to explain in my comments (including taht at the previous page) it is not about a 1:1 comparison but about having a reference concerning low end and overall "analog like" sound of a real analog synth where ME80 seriously lacks IMO compared to my DW-8000 and also some plugins like e.g. Diva and others. As i do not have a CS-80 as a reference this is the best i could use for a comparison besides the CS-80 V2 plugin.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Hey, I met Sonny Bono, so there. Well, not really. It was just a dream..... since we're dropping names and whatnot. I guess the internet is really just an outlet for the ego a great deal of the time :hihi: Did I mention I owned a few analog synths in the past? So I really know what I'm talking about here :lol:
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I don't know about Vintage Vault really. I have two products of UVI, Melo and Digital Sensation that I didn't like them that much.

The V4 Collection, I have just upgraded to it from two instruments (Arp 2600v and SEM V) which I like a lot both of them. Anway, for me I like a lot the Arturia synths, although I can't say they sound like the real ones, but they do sound very interesting and musical to me.

The biggest surprise for me in the Collection is Spark 2. Wow! it is really a great drum machine. I'm sure to buy the hardware as well (SparkLE). It is in my near wishlist (but after the 8" monitors :hihi: ). This sounds really good and I also liked the interface a lot. I believe that Arturia did a great job with Spark 2.

I like a lot the two Oberheim emulations. At first I didn't like Matrix 12 a lot when I demoed it, but now with careful listening I begin to like it more and more. SEM V is great and I already consider it from my absolute favourites.

Now, the three old emulations Arp2600 V, Mini V and Modular V I like them a lot since 2005 I think! So, I always like their sounds. They are not accurate emulations like Monark or TimeWARP 2600, but they sound really nice and the presets always inspiring me. But I'm not into learning them because of the small fonts/GUI. The Modular V also needs to have some slight differences/GUI variations in every column, it seems like a spreadsheet of knobs!

I have mixed feelings about the CS-80. I remember that I liked a lot version one (years ago) and I felt that it had a big sound, but I don't feel the same now with the latest version. I have no idea why! Maybe because of age, speakers or its version. I don't know. I need to play with it more.

Jupiter-8 and Prophet are not my favourites. They sound good but they didn't wow me. Judging from the presets, so I need to have a deep look and start to make my own presets and see how I will like them.

The other instruments, I had a little time with them yesterday, so my first impressions about Solina is great. Vox is ok but Wurlitzer is nice :)

So for me even between Vintage Vault (or even Falcon!) and V4 Collection, I would choose V4 Collection :D

EnGee wrote:The V4 Collection, I have just upgraded to it from two instruments (Arp 2600v and SEM V) which I like a lot both of them. Anway, for me I like a lot the Arturia synths, although I can't say they sound like the real ones, but they do sound very interesting and musical to me.

The biggest surprise for me in the Collection is Spark 2. Wow! it is really a great drum machine. I'm sure to buy the hardware as well (SparkLE). It is in my near wishlist (but after the 8" monitors :hihi: ). This sounds really good and I also liked the interface a lot. I believe that Arturia did a great job with Spark 2.
I mostly agree there. While i do not think that all those plugins are perfect emulations of the real thing i still like the sound i could get from most of them and where necessary i do use one or multiple external FXs.
Also some of the additional features like e.g. the hybrid synth in Prophet V (+ import for Prophet 5 and VS Sysex) or the Resonator in Solina V seem to be cool.

Spark 2 inded seems to be cool and is one major reason why i upgraded to V-Collection 4 (for 69 € from 4 single products where most of them were bought at a discount where i own Prophet V since it was released).
Ingo Weidner

XILS V+ is a nice synth with nice aahh choir sounds that i like :) Is there any synth in any of these collection that has same capabilities?

Not quite a year after last post I found this thread (interesting) and look forward to seeing where the just announced IK Multimedia Syntronik (38 synths!) will fit in. Seems to be somewhat sample based, but not entirely. Perhaps a hybrid of Vintage Vault and Vintage Collection?

I had just picked up Arturia's Collection and a day later the IKM package is announced but playing with the Arturia synths and reading this thread supports it was not a bad buy. Still tempted by the IKM package. Wish it didn't duplicate that Arturia package so much though.

Personally, I have replaced Arturia synths with others (mainly, Diva, The Legend, RePro~1, ACE, LuSH 101 and Retrologue).

The main reason that I changed many synths that I owned is after my purchase for my current monitors. Arturia synths couldn't stand a chance against the synths above, sound wise. Headphones are not the best thing to judge sound quality because they are misleading really (my phones are Sennheiser 280 Pro).

Still I have iMini, iProphet and iSEM in my iPod (but it's rare to use my iPad for music making or even synth exploring). I only have Synclavier V now, which has a nice character, although not using it that much now.

Return to “Instruments”