Ambient Music - I'm right a piece(may become a small book) about it. Any source suggestions?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:This conversation died too quickly, free bump!
Would you consider Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" ambient?

Jon Hassell certainly isn't, but it's always lumped in with the other Editions EG ambient albums. I really like those early Hassell recordings.

Unfortunately a content free bump...which doesn't do a lot to move the conversation on ;).

But still if anyone has ever come up with a definition of "Ambient Music" that works I'd be interested to know it. It seems to be one of those "I definitely know it when I hear it" things except that no-one quite agrees on exactly what fits in the box.

Steve

I'm also right. A piece about it. Or so.

Tangerine Dream - Zeit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjvF36gzLF8

The first "ambient" album I heard/bought, way back when

slipstick wrote:
Unfortunately a content free bump...which doesn't do a lot to move the conversation on ;).
I left the last nugget of content. My bump was a balance between dominating the conversation and letting fresh eyes have a look. I think that it worked.

SODDI wrote:
Would you consider Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" ambient?

Jon Hassell certainly isn't, but it's always lumped in with the other Editions EG ambient albums. I really like those early Hassell recordings.
You know, kind of, at suitably low volumes. The essence of being furniture doesn't necessarily mean pretty furniture, no? I think that it largely lacks hooks that get your attention. Even at low volumes, hooks jump out and grab you, consider, e.g., elevator music in an actual elevator.

slipstick wrote:
But still if anyone has ever come up with a definition of "Ambient Music" that works I'd be interested to know it. It seems to be one of those "I definitely know it when I hear it" things except that no-one quite agrees on exactly what fits in the box.

Steve
People want to call lots of things lots of things. Everything called techno isn't, but there's no law saying that you can't mislabel things. Even though I'm not a super Eno fan in terms of his music, I think that it's fair to accept his definition as it defines something of a purpose.

For me, when music begins to grab your attention is the point at which it ceases to be ambient, and the point at which you aren't really interested in trying to listen to it is the point at which it ceases to be music. So ambient music lies in between environmental sound and anything chill with a hook.

Yeah, keep playing it everyone (I love ambient music :hug: )

Ambient schmambient.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Some people say "if it has a beat, it's not ambient". But after listening to some of the 12k stuff, I can't agree.
Just to add, Maitreya is awesome, if anybody needs a fix?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YnbZQt ... 18B9A0CB79

In my experience, ambient music is a lot more fun to make than to listen to.

Credit to Eno for his playful approach to process. I just find the result less interesting, much of the time. If ambient music is supposed to recede into the background, we'll, mission accomplished. I find that I get bored of it pretty quickly and my mind wanders to other subjects, and then I get impatient and contemplate putting on some music which holds my attention better.

apart from the obvious, Eno doesn't even enter my mind when i think of ambient music. Generally.
i might put the Airports album on once in a blue moon, but there are plenty of artists who make ambient music as a real craft nowadays, and Eno, well, he's a pioneer, but more regarding 'embracing new technology', not so much of 'ambient music', in my opinion.

deastman wrote:In my experience, ambient music is a lot more fun to make than to listen to.

Credit to Eno for his playful approach to process. I just find the result less interesting, much of the time. If ambient music is supposed to recede into the background, we'll, mission accomplished. I find that I get bored of it pretty quickly and my mind wanders to other subjects, and then I get impatient and contemplate putting on some music which holds my attention better.
I think that's just you. Granted, I mostly like my own ambient music, but, I've got to the point where I prefer to hear it more often than other forms of music. I do listen to other works, not Eno, at least not often.

I do think that the key is not actually paying attention to it. I find it easiest to enjoy actively while trying to go to sleep.

deastman wrote:Ambient schmambient.
Ah, a new sub-genre!

incubus wrote:
deastman wrote:Ambient schmambient.
Ah, a new sub-genre!
:lol:

Edit:
I think the "schmambient" sub-genre mostly consists of ambient covers of pop songs.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”