Flatest Closed Headphones For Under $200

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

miketurn wrote:@JCJR
Thank You for your response
So it sounds like the lower ohm version may not be as built to last, and the 80s are now even more questionable to me.
Beyer to use the exact same model number for all three, why not put the ohm value into the model number at the end, if you are going to make three versions of them. Being the most expensive pair on my list, I would just hate to go with these and be disappointed.
Yep it was surprising to me that the three different impedance models MAY sound noticeably different from each other. Or maybe not. It would be interesting to listen to all three and find out.

I wouldn't assume that the 80 ohm sounds worse or the other impedances are not built to last. The beyer doc I read just said the 80 ohm is built to tolerate more abuse, at the possible tradeoff of "not quite as good fidelity". But unless you intend to use the phones in abusive conditions, one couldn't automatically assume that the other impedance models won't be durable in non-abusive situations. Dunno one way or the other.

Some of the microphones with squeakiest-clean fidelity can be rather fragile, wheras you can use Shure SM58 or Audix OM5 as a hammer. Just because you probably wouldn't want to abuse an expensive fragile condenser mic doesn't mean such fragile mic is not "built to last". With careful handling they can last a lifetime. Though I doubt there are many headphones which last a lifetime. :)

Machines can measure distortion more accurately than ears. Sometimes distortion levels below 1 percent can be difficult for ears to discriminate. Speakers have the highest distortion of anything in an audio chain. Even the "best" speakers have lots more distortion than average audio interfaces or average analog or digital effects.

The quoted distortion specs on some of the headphones I've looked at, is lower than typical speaker distortion. I don't know if headphones are generically of lower average distortion than speakers, but it seems possible. Just saying, (fictional numbers used for sake of example)-- A headphone built "rugged" which measures 0.4 percent THD might be 'on paper' higher distortion than a headphone built "hifi" which measures 0.2 percent THD, but compared to 1 to 5 percent distortion in typical "nice" speakers-- Maybe it would be difficult for the typical ear to detect a difference between 0.2 percent versus 0.4 percent distortion headphones. Maybe both would seem "about equally clean" and if the frequency response differs then perhaps it could be a tossup which response would seem most preferable to any random customer.

Also it is not uncommon for people to prefer the sound of devices with higher distortion over comparable devices with lower distortion. This would be in situations where neither device has "guitar fuzz tone" levels of distortion, but even trained ears sometimes like the sound of the gadgets which measure by machine as larger amounts of minor distortion. 1 percent versus 0.1 percent or whatever. Some of the most popular audio gadgets are not among the lowest-distortion gadgets in each category. Not that slightly higher distortion is good in itself, just that people sometimes seem to like characteristics of some devices so much that the slightly higher distortion seems irrelevant (and unnoticed) to the ear.

Everybody has different ear physiology and different audio preferences. Tis hard to work out from user reviews and paper specs. In order for a third party listening impression to be relevant, maybe it would need to be a fella with similar shaped ear anatomy and similar listening tastes.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey Guys, thank you for the responses

@Vortifex
Wow this is a cool site, in all my searching I never stumbled upon this one, thank you for mentioning this, makes comparing so much easier.

@shroom81
I looked up your AKG recommendation on the site that Vortifex mentioned and you are right so far this is one of the more flat responses I have seen. The only thing is they are open back, but it does bring the topic of open headphones back up in my brain and into considering them more.

Hmmm, still a tough one, because my plan is to only go closed back, or at least for a while anyways but if I am considering getting a pair of open backs as well in the future, it kind of affects what I look for in a closed back pair today. For example, like if open backs are considered to be generally flatter and better for mixing, then these features may not be as important in my decision of closed backs, which then would be used more just for recording purposes.

I know frequency charts are not best and or only way to choose something like headphones, but with messing around a little bit with the site @Vortifex mentioned, wow you see that it doesn't seem that any of the models on my list are even close to being flat.
Again doesn't necessarily mean anything in regards to how they sound, but some are really crazy visually when you look at their graphs.

Mike Turn,

ah sorry I didn't notice they were open back I just saw them recommended a lot and would go for them myself if I was buying new ones atm.

I have Beyer Dt-990 which are open too and I must admit I do hear a lot of fan noise when working. Need to ditch this so called "silent" water cooling :D

I'm using Sonarworks Reference to make my "flat" headphones more flat, mixes translate to speakers a lot better than without.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

@shroom81
Thank You for your response, no problem, something I need to consider more anyways (open headphones).
Interesting day to be talking about noise coming through open headphones because so far today has been a day that every house around me within a five mile radius has decided to mow their lawns one after another!
I may need to ditch where I live :)

I also just added the following two pairs to my original list....
Sony MDR7506
Sony MDRV6

I have kind of been going back and forth on considering these, another product where they get great reviews from some and not so great reviews from others (it seems that many feel that newer products out perform them).
I have read many times that these two Sony models are the same product but using the site recommended above it appears they are slightly different, seems like the same freq response just increased dB wise.

The products I am currently considering are the following three which I have linked a comparison between them below.
The KRK bass seems to be really hyped up and the Sony products seem to have a crazy dip after 10K? which just doesn't look right visually to me, again I know it is just a picture but you know what I mean.

KRK 8400
Sony MDR7506
Sony MDRV6

http://graphs.headphone.com/index.php?g ... date+Graph
Overall though the Sony MDR7506 appears to be the "most flat"

Does anyone have any experience with these three, that have anything to share about them?
I am also open to consider other products if someone has a flat pair they would like to recommend not on my list.

Hi Mike

Apologies, because headphone.com had been mentioned several times in the recent threads, I thought you were already looking at the graph compare features.

The site doesn't go into deep detail about measurement method trivia so far as I've read. There is an explanation that the raw display is duh, the raw measurement of the dummy head microphones. The adjusted display is after applying an hrtf.

I believe hrtf is head response transfer function, or something like that. Audio measured in the air with a flat omni measurement mic is not what the eardrum hears. So the audio measured by the dummy head mics is also not what the free-air omni measurement mic will hear. There are many scholarly papers about hrtf and other details about the physical/neurological interaction of human hearing vs free field audio "in the air". I don't keep up with that rather complicated field.

I don't recall reading an explanation of the difference between headphone.com's "adjusted freq response" vs the main "freq response" option. Am guessing that the main "freq response" option is just a heavier-smoothed version of the "adjusted freq response". Possibly "in general" more useful if not excessively smoothed, because psycho-acoustic research seems to indicate that the ear is not especially sensitive to "fine grained" squiggles in the frequency response, so a certain amount of smoothing could help better-see the forest rather than the trees of every tiny narrow resonance that maybe the ear can't hear very well or at all.

Just sayin, if you view a speaker freq response chart done in free-field or anechoic chamber, or a speaker+room measurement done with flat omni mic at the listening position-- If instead you were to measure with a high-quality stereo dummy head rather than a free-field omni mic, the measured response of a "flat speaker" would not be flat as measured by the dummy head. And maybe the measured response of the "flat speaker" would not even be flat after you adjust for the head response transfer function.

So maybe it isn't surprising that the human-judged "good sounding phones" don't measure as flat as a good speaker in an anechoic chamber. A headphone which measures ruler-flat on the dummy head MIGHT sound terrible to a human, even if the ruler-flat measurement happens to be post-hrtf adjusted.

Those Sony phones you mention are industry standards. They are fairly loud and many people "know what they sound like" and they are generally durable and not expensive. Like any phones, they have a certain sonic fingerprint. When I was headphone shopping was tempted to get another set of 7506 or V6. I had some long ago but they had rotted away from age. But did not because the audible impression is somewhat too forward in the upper mids, and the only reason I was getting another set of phones was as "reality check" against my amateur remastering efforts. I considered maybe the Sony's would be a bit too-colored for my purpose, but they are nice phones. And of course every bit of my reasoning could have been dead wrong.

Recently did more reading about phones than before buying the DT770's last year. Ran across many positive reviews on the DT880 which are "semi-open". Headphone.com charts on the DT880 look rather good as well.

I think if I needed to use phones for quality control and mixing, and also use sealed phones for tracking-- And didn't have any phones-- Maybe I would get something like the DT880 for quality control and reality checking, and a cheap loud set of sealed phones for tracking. When tracking the audio quality isn't real important so long as it doesn't sound horrible. That would be me tracking myself or other musicians wearing the cheap sealed phones.

If an engineer is trying to multi-track a live show or ensemble performance in a "one big room" home studio, then he would want to look for excellent sealed phones. In that case the audio fidelity would be more important than a guitar player or singer wearing phones to dub a track.

Mike, further beating the horse-- I noticed this old thread which is interesting regarding "flat" monitoring for mixing/mastering, speakers or headphones. Hinting at why most headphones are not flat. Etc. Hopefully it doesn't break a rule to reference a thread from another site--

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio- ... ation.html

The interesting content begins after message #10, so just skip forward to there. It stays interesting afterwards, lots of good information.

@JCJR
Thank You for your responses, I will check out link you mention.

I have the Beyer 770 80 ohms : not flat but comfortable (for a closed headphone), and easy to master. Once you get used to it, you adjust easily the ends.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”