Low cost/free rompler to Reaper

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you for the new suggestions! I will listen to the demo track tomorrow when I have access to a better sonic setup.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

nix808 wrote:AIR Xpand is worth a look,
it's been real cheap recently
A very thorough and positive review can be found here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews ... d-2-a.html
Go MuLab!

"Edirol Super Quartet" is an interesting little multi (ac-pianos, e-pianos, basses, guitars, one drum kit) instruments vst.
It sounds quite ok and mostly it is very low on cpu and ram, you can run it on a pentium 3.
It is very old and thus not commercially available since a long time but you can find it on the net, i think it is ok to consider it kind of part of the public domain now.

bedjka wrote:"Edirol Super Quartet" is an interesting little multi (ac-pianos, e-pianos, basses, guitars, one drum kit) instruments vst.
It sounds quite ok and mostly it is very low on cpu and ram, you can run it on a pentium 3.
It is very old and thus not commercially available since a long time but you can find it on the net, i think it is ok to consider it kind of part of the public domain now.
Some of those old Edirol instruments don't save their state with project data, and require you to save an fxp every time - is this one like that?

SparkySpark wrote:Thank you for the new suggestions! I will listen to the demo track tomorrow when I have access to a better sonic setup.
Hi again,
I have now enjoyed listening to your nice track. Great work. :)

I must say though that I felt that the pad and some other sounds lacked a little air, but of course the most important sounds could always be substituted when it's time to polish a mix. I think it's better to keep things simple during composition and fine- editing in the end.
Go MuLab!

Some of those old Edirol instruments don't save their state with project data, and require you to save an fxp every time - is this one like that?
Unfortunately yes.

VSTSynthFont < http://www.synthfont.com/ > works as a plug-in is both 32-bit and 64-bit and loads SoundFonts, GigaSampler files, SFZ files and more. It's shareware, which means you can use it for free, and pay the license when you are ready to.

It can even change sounds on the fly with Program Change messages. There are tons of SoundFonts available on the Net, many free, and many really cheap. Quality varies, but there are some really good ones.

To start with, I can't think of anything better than this.

EDIT: VSTSynthFont is free, just the regular Synthfont (which is a standalone version with more features) is payware.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

nineofkings wrote:Some of those old Edirol instruments don't save their state with project data, and require you to save an fxp every time - is this one like that?
Some time ago I read somewhere that in the DXi version of the instruments the saving works and that only the VST version has this problem. (Haven't tried it yet...)
Instrumental synthwave/synthpop with classical elements: https://www.feiyr.com/x/CaMResonance2022

Some time ago I read somewhere that in the DXi version of the instruments the saving works and that only the VST version has this problem. (Haven't tried it yet...)
Interesting, thanks.
There are tons of SoundFonts available for free on the Net, many free, and many really cherap. Quality varies, but there are some really good ones.

To start with, I can't athink of anything better than this
+1

It takes some time and work auditioning all of them to find the very good ones, but you end up with a free collection of sounds which equals, if not surpasses on some instruments, expensive commercial romplers like Sampletank or Halion Sonic.
Plus no need for an uptodate pc, it takes no ressources at all.

"Rgc sfz" and "Jeskola" plugins also play soundfonts and are freeware.

Thanks, both, for the SoundFont suggestions.

When it comes to the GM soundfont I commented on above, it's really impressive when considering it's only a 1/1000 in size of the default SampleTank or Kontakt libraries! Plus, as mentioned in previous post, they take up no resources. Also loading time is close to zero, which makes scrolling through sounds a breeze rather than a creativity killer.
Go MuLab!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”