Building A World From A Grid

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/grayson-peddie/b ... rom-a-grid
The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What do they look like? Do they look like Epcot? Is there a lot of vegetation? What about waterfalls? Ocean cities? Beaches? What about forms of transportation? People walking in streets? Were the circuits like monorails? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see.

And then one day, I got in.
Music produced in Linux.
Arch Linux in a custom-built machine, Behringer FCA1616, TC M-One XL, RCA Studio Producer desk

Music I listen to: New Age (instrumental), Epcot (Future World)

bass sounds badly squashed and restrained, everything else ok.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I used a formant filter for the bassline in ZynAddSubFX and alternate the bass notes between two MIDI channels, each controlling cutoff frequency and resonance. I then record the bassline as one audio track. After that, I used heavy compression in Harrison Mixbus to keep the bass consistent.

I will make it less restrained.

Update 1: Replacing...

Update 2: Done. Bass is louder and less restrained.
Arch Linux in a custom-built machine, Behringer FCA1616, TC M-One XL, RCA Studio Producer desk

trying to remember now what the bass sounded like before compared to now.
i think it was only the beginning and end that sounded over cooked. not too
bad now, anyway. its a nice listen after getting over that hump. :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thanks for the feedback! My song is TRON Legacy-inspired.

But instead of depicting a dystopian future that's in the movie, it's more of a utopian -- to build an change the world to whichever suits everyone. It's all about peace (hence the slow part of the song, with a feeling that people would live with nature). In the other hand, it's about building a world that resembles Epcot or Tomorrowland (movie). People could build traditional or modern houses right from the grid, so there wouldn't be vacant houses once people want to move to another part of the world.

So my song is more of a future-type than a present-type.

The reason why I give out my songs for free is to contribute to the world. I may sound crazy, but there has been movements such as TheVenusProject (Resource-Based Economy) and Free World Charter. In my song, the grid that people would build a world from does not revolve around money, so in the future (probably not within my lifetime), it might be possible to live where it's all based around resources and not money.

Enjoyed this! Lots of great music and nice changes. I like the way it sounds positive and optimistic. Goes well with your philosophy... Cool change at 4:50.
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Thanks! Appreciated your feedback!

A question for anyone of you out there: Is it within nature that sawtooth instrument sounds "boxy" out of the box? I thought it sounds fine at normal volume, but when I turn it up to -10dB in my home theater receiver (or more, like say -7.5dB), it sounded boxy at around 450Hz. I want to compare my song with the song from "The Son of Flynn" from "TRON: Legacy." I already bought the CD since last week and in comparison to mine, the sawtooth in "The Son of Flynn" sounds softer in volume whereas mine is more of "louder" and "rapidfire," packing so much energy into my song head-on.

In my opinion, I think it's because I do not mix my song at loud volume. If I did and if I have not mixed my song at normal or quieter levels, the lows and highs would seem to be overhyped and if I then start to lower the volume, the lows and highs would be lacking.

I learned about mixing at low volume from Graham at TheRecordingRevolution.com:
https://www.recordingrevolution.com/5-m ... -24-of-31/

If you've never heard of "The Son of Flynn" but you do have the movie, after the young Sam Flynn rode his bicycle, the movie made a cut and skips over to adult Sam Flynn who is riding a motorcycle in highway to Encom. Encom is where the staff is viewing a presentation of "Encom 12" but I don't want to spoil any portion of the movie. The soundtrack for TRON: Legacy is in Amazon.

I've humanized the drums just a bit, but want to keep timings tight at the end of the song. I tried to keep my song more balanced with all instruments playing, even though it's a bit difficult as I like to keep the volume of instruments the way they are. I've weighted Mike's criticism (over at TheRecordingRevolution.com) detailed below my post, but I'm not comfortable about going live with drums and all the instruments (all MIDI-based) except tambourine and that's about it. I like to keep a balance between "it sounds like it's played by a drum machine" and "it sounds like it's played by a real human drummer."
https://www.recordingrevolution.com/rec ... g-started/

I have a new YouTube video for my song. The grid is only a blank slate, so you can imagine how you want a city to be built and what features. Thus, you are only limited by your own imagination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSFpDZiB23Q

Return to “Music Cafe”