DAW for Electronic music

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the criticism in this thread seems to treat the author's intent as being avaricious and mercenary.
what these guys do IS WORTH paying for. there is no sin here; of course they have a business strategy.. if so then criticize image line, ableton, presonus. cubase...
the bottom line is this: a software that is as deep as any other in it's range, totally customizable, a bunch of bespoke effects ( gui is a bit utilitarian, but they are efficient for what they do, some of them are as good as third party equivalents. did i mention it's a bit grey and ugly? ahh, wait, it's completely skinnable : )), frequent updates, great user community.. I can find no end of aspects that justify the price. it isn't aimed at users on "the poverty line" - it's aim is to compete.
they deserve their success.
like i say, i don't use it much, but i have used it in the past, friends of mine continue to.
i suppose i don't understand the aggravation here. it is misguided in my opinion.
this software, bang for buck is unquestionably a no-brainer.

inkwarp wrote:the criticism in this thread seems to treat the author's intent as being avaricious and mercenary.
what these guys do IS WORTH paying for. there is no sin here; of course they have a business strategy.. if so then criticize image line, ableton, presonus. cubase...
the bottom line is this: a software that is as deep as any other in it's range, totally customizable, a bunch of bespoke effects ( gui is a bit utilitarian, but they are efficient for what they do, some of them are as good as third party equivalents. did i mention it's a bit grey and ugly? ahh, wait, it's completely skinnable : )), frequent updates, great user community.. I can find no end of aspects that justify the price. it isn't aimed at users on "the poverty line" - it's aim is to compete.
they deserve their success.
like i say, i don't use it much, but i have used it in the past, friends of mine continue to.
i suppose i don't understand the aggravation here. it is misguided in my opinion.
this software, bang for buck is unquestionably a no-brainer.

Absolutely, I'm not really sure what criticism that you're referring to? I simply don't agree with the position, and neither does Cockos, that there is a "real license" and some other license. The cost of Reaper is $60 for the vast majority of users and it is a bargain at that price.

Also, there can be no doubt that Justin Frankel is a capable developer. I'm absolutely sure that it's not lost on him that one can evaluate Reaper at no cost for as long as one wishes, to suggest otherwise is simply absurd. That then is clearly part of the strategy to retain market share gained. No, I'm not advocating that one not purchase a license, it's cheap, purchase it, but I am recognizing that the choice to not strongarm a license from you after the trial period has ended is intentional.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

sorry, i was referring to the op...

In case somebody missed it, OP responded on 2nd page and he made up his mind, guess it's time to lock this one...
Pacific Echo wrote:I appreciate the opinions. Looks like logic would be best suited for me. Thanks for the help everyone :)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:In case somebody missed it, OP responded on 2nd page and he made up his mind, guess it's time to lock this one...
Pacific Echo wrote:I appreciate the opinions. Looks like logic would be best suited for me. Thanks for the help everyone :)
I never understand the zeal to lock a thread. Why don't you just let other people continue their conversation without you?

ghettosynth wrote:I never understand the zeal to lock a thread. Why don't you just let other people continue their conversation without you?
Sincerely, this went totally south and turned into another Reaper thread and heated arguments about licencing behind it, nothing to do with OP or intended topic anymore, so it begs the question, why not really, this whole issue is best suited for another appropriate thread.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I never understand the zeal to lock a thread. Why don't you just let other people continue their conversation without you?
Sincerely, this went totally south and turned into another Reaper thread and heated arguments about licencing behind it, nothing to do with OP or intended topic anymore, so it begs the question, why not really, this whole issue is best suited for another appropriate thread.
It doesn't "beg the question" at all, you're using that phrase incorrectly. People are having a conversation, why don't you leave them alone and go start whatever threads that you want to have if you don't want to participate in this one?

Seriously, asking to lock threads is just passive aggressive disagreement. Those of us enjoying this conversation don't think that there's anything wrong with it.

ghettosynth wrote:It doesn't "beg the question" at all, you're using that phrase incorrectly.
Sorry, English isn't my native language, no wonder about that.
People are having a conversation, why don't you leave them alone and go start whatever threads that you want to have if you don't want to participate in this one?
Sincerely, because we were having on topic discussions long before that, so it's natural side that doesn't want to follow that should actually go somewhere else.
Seriously, asking to lock threads is just passive aggressive disagreement. Those of us enjoying this conversation don't think that there's anything wrong with it.
That's natural and I may got little over the line with all that locking thread remark, but as someone who took part of the original topic (guess I was even first one that responded), turn of events just feels like totally different thread now and original topic is in what I'm actually really interested in too, guess similar to most that will dig up this thread for the sake of the name and intended subject, so scrolling trough few pages searching for another on topic response is just little unnecessary IMO.

But yeah, enjoy guys, we barely talk to each other anyways in real life, so if little OT-ing here get us closer together and talking, than awesome, enjoy. :hug:

Zexila wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: Seriously, asking to lock threads is just passive aggressive disagreement. Those of us enjoying this conversation don't think that there's anything wrong with it.
That's natural and I may got little over the line with all that locking thread remark, but as someone who took part of the original topic (guess I was even first one that responded), turn of events just feels like totally different thread now and original topic is in what I'm actually really interested in too, guess similar to most that will dig up this thread for the sake of the name and intended subject, so scrolling trough few pages searching for another on topic response is just little unnecessary IMO.

But yeah, enjoy guys, we barely talk to each other anyways in real life, so if little OT-ing here get us closer together and talking, than awesome, enjoy. :hug:
Feel free to add to the conversation or shift it back to a direction that you find interesting. But yeah, I get annoyed when people start asking for threads to be locked.

I wouldn't worry too much about people searching for the thread title, it's way to general to be really useful IMO.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agree, you got the point really.

pottering wrote:if you are cynical like ghettosynth and 1wob2many, and think Cockos only cares about money
:o

Wow! You are so far off the mark. I commented on you misinterpreting Cockos's licensing conditions. Not on their marketing strategy. For what it's worth, I think that the licensing deal offered by Cockos is very fair.

I've used pro tools for film scoring project a long time ago and it does have some video features.
Not sure if there is a DAW that is specifically better for video scoring though.

Not sure what it has to do with electronic music, but in case it's not clear, the spirit of the Cockos license terms is to distinguish between people who do audio production for a living, and everybody else. Where "living" doesn't mean "living in your car."

You can use the discounted license to run REAPER in your basement hobby studio. Even if you make a few bucks off your music. It doesn't matter if your day job is flipping burgers or doing brain surgery.

If you make money from audio production and you're genuinely not sure which license you should use, just do what you think is right. We haven't sued anybody yet.

schwa wrote:Not sure what it has to do with electronic music, but in case it's not clear, the spirit of the Cockos license terms is to distinguish between people who do audio production for a living, and everybody else. Where "living" doesn't mean "living in your car."

You can use the discounted license to run REAPER in your basement hobby studio. Even if you make a few bucks off your music. It doesn't matter if your day job is flipping burgers or doing brain surgery.

If you make money from audio production and you're genuinely not sure which license you should use, just do what you think is right. We haven't sued anybody yet.
+1

Thanks for posting.

I posted a similar questions months ago. I could not decide which DAW was best for my need.

After several DAWs trials, I finally choose Reaper for it's power, flexibility, memory management, customisation, cost...
For electronic music, the new clip envelope feature in Reaper (still in beta release) makes Logic automation something like retarded and very basic.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”