Project Time Again - Goth Metal (Within Temptation)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Googly Smythe wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:This is something I did a while ago under another name. I know it's way too long to listen to all the way through, but at around the 1:10 mark is a chugging rhythm guitar, using the techniques I described, and at around 5:45 is a solo. All the guitars in this track are made with Shreddage 2, one mouse-click at a time. :)

That Night

EDIT:
And yes, I can play guitar - age and arthritis prevent.
Okay, heard the chugging guitar. It seems to be missing the real low end of the example I posted. Now, is that just the bass playing along with it as somebody else here pointed out? If so, yeah, I think this might do the trick.
The key is on the high side because I had to match key of the vocal samples. But it's the bass that provides the real low-end. Shreddage 2 does use a 7-string, so can go quite low.
Gotcha. Yeah, I'm pretty much gonna be picking this up unless I can somehow figure out how to get that sound with Vir2 and Guitar Rig. I'll give that one shot first but won't spend too much time with it.

...unless I can somehow figure out how to get that sound with Vir2 and Guitar Rig
I just told you how to do it! Are you daft? How simple does it have to read?
Use an octavator pedal in Guitar Rig as well and see if that gives you the fat you want. The low 5th is the bottom your missing not the bass.

I don't want to make a competition about this...good luck.
...and by the way...listening to your pop songs and seeing how much you've posted since the rock songs I listened to last month...don't you ever sleep?! :lol: Or are you a machine? :D
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:
...unless I can somehow figure out how to get that sound with Vir2 and Guitar Rig
I just told you how to do it! Are you daft? How simple does it have to read?
Use an octavator pedal in Guitar Rig as well and see if that gives you the fat you want. The low 5th is the bottom your missing not the bass.

I don't want to make a competition about this...good luck.
...and by the way...listening to your pop songs and seeing how much you've posted since the rock songs I listened to last month...don't you ever sleep?! :lol: Or are you a machine? :D
Sorry guy. I'm a little dense, I have a headache, I've had a long day, and I'm tired.

Yeah, maybe I need some sleep.

Oh, so then I don't need Shreddage 2?

wagtunes wrote:Oh, so then I don't need Shreddage 2?
I'll try to help.
Last night I got a feel for how a sampler with a single power chord sample would sound and handle. I was sadly disappointed. A single sample as it is played up and down the piano keys sounds awful. Also, it is imperative velocity layers with a variety of muted/palmed samples are used for that chomping/choked sound...so without going through the whole process required assembling the sample group needed, you'll end up with a less then usable sound. Bottom line...I could do it in a few hours, but it's a bit of work and I don't see you as wanting to learn how to do that.

I have a discontinued VST/VSTi called 'Slayer'. For what your going to do, it would be good enough. If I can find it and it has a serial for security, i'll send it to you to use.

There are two less expensive versions of Shreddage (IBZ) & (SRP) which are $95. See this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... kE9bNnjj0o

Vir2 appears to have a package called 'Electri6ity'. If you have that package, maybe it does metal?

annode wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Oh, so then I don't need Shreddage 2?
I'll try to help.
Last night I got a feel for how a sampler with a single power chord sample would sound and handle. I was sadly disappointed. A single sample as it is played up and down the piano keys sounds awful. Also, it is imperative velocity layers with a variety of muted/palmed samples are used for that chomping/choked sound...so without going through the whole process required assembling the sample group needed, you'll end up with a less then usable sound. Bottom line...I could do it in a few hours, but it's a bit of work and I don't see you as wanting to learn how to do that.

I have a discontinued VST/VSTi called 'Slayer'. For what your going to do, it would be good enough. If I can find it and it has a serial for security, i'll send it to you to use.

There are two less expensive versions of Shreddage (IBZ) & (SRP) which are $95. See this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... kE9bNnjj0o

Vir2 appears to have a package called 'Electri6ity'. If you have that package, maybe it does metal?
I do have Electri6ity and I will see what I can get out of that.

I do have Electri6ity and I will see what I can get out of that.
Let me know if Electri6ity will do it for you. If not i'll look for the Slayer serial# (if it uses one)

As mentioned, most of the ultra low end comes from the bass. The low-mids, though, come from the guitars and this can be helped by multiband compressing the 200-800Hz area or thereabouts and turning it up so it's thick but not so much that it's muddy. You can find this line by listening to your reference track until it sounds about similar.

Here are good free samples; (need to register)
https://www.freesound.org/people/Ax_Grinder/
Do you know how to use them?

I'd like to move away from the focus on the guitars for now. What I want to know is how they get this overall sound. On Youtube, this sounds like crap compared to my stereo where it sounds like hell has been unleashed. Hopefully, you can still hear what they're doing. Is it all just compressing everything to the max?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEgXDhiayz4

I'm finished trying to help you out. You have no sense of appreciation for those who are taking their time to assist you. You don't pull your own weight. You want everything done for you.
Your a perfect passive/aggressive personality type. I'm not angry, but I just refuse to let you frustrate me.

annode wrote:I'm finished trying to help you out. You have no sense of appreciation for those who are taking their time to assist you. You don't pull your own weight. You want everything done for you.
Your a perfect passive/aggressive personality type. I'm not angry, but I just refuse to let you frustrate me.
Wo, where is this coming from? I just wanted to move away from guitars just for a second to concentrate on the whole mix. I don't want everything done for me. I came here for tips. If people don't want to help, they don't have to. I'm not twisting anybody's arm.

I'm sorry if I've done something to offend you. I've listened to all your suggestions. I have everything noted. I'm going to try things. I don't know what else you want me to do.

I'm sorry, but I have done nothing wrong here and if you're getting this upset because I want to talk about the mix then maybe it's best you ignore me.

Wow, I'm absolutely stunned at this response and have no idea where it's coming from.

Your a perfect passive/aggressive personality type.
I thought i'd Wiki that to make sure I wasn't off base...and hell yeah I was.
I know it as a character behavior, not a whole personality disorder! Crap!
So I don't want you to think i'm saying you are personality disordered.
Sorry for any confusion. :dog:

annode wrote:
Your a perfect passive/aggressive personality type.
I thought i'd Wiki that to make sure I wasn't off base...and hell yeah I was.
I know it as a character behavior, not a whole personality disorder! Crap!
So I don't want you to think i'm saying you are personality disordered.
Sorry for any confusion. :dog:
Look, I don't want anymore trouble. I can't deal with it anymore. I seem to cause it doing absolutely nothing so I'm going to shut this thread down.

I seem to cause it doing absolutely nothing,
Exactly.
Don't stop the thread, I won't bother you.

Return to “Production Techniques”