Waldorf Pulse 2 vs Moog Minitaur

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:...and nice and warm Mooginess.
:roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Pulse 2 is quite full featured when compared to the Minitaur.
The Minitaur is pretty fat, I'd say the filter is probably more instantly pleasing to most people.
The Minitaur has a limited keyboard (what do you call it?) range?
The Pulse 2 has a matrix of 4 knobs whereas the Minitaur is pretty much what you see is what you get, hands on, apart from some glide modes and a handful of other features that can be accessed by the software editor... The Pulse 2 IS more flexible yes, but i personally found it a bit of a pain in the ass. Even though I generally love the Waldorf sound, the filter is a bit average... basically I sold it and bought a Bass Station 2 instead, no regrets really. I can't get into the matrix style of editing... the Bass Station's oscillator and envelope "bank" situation is bad enough... plus the knobs on the Pulse 2 were not so pleasing to me. I just found the Pulse 2 wasn't really a 'unified sound' to me. Also the HUGE LCD, with tiny little parameter readings, and a GIANT patch number, it's totally retarded.

sqigls wrote:The Minitaur is pretty fat

:P

sqigls wrote:...it's totally retarded.
bill and ted dude.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moog Minitaur in techno Basslines.... :phones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuE5ij4E3cA

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

dtekproduk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:06 amFirst a clarification, this thread I opened to discuss these two great synthesizers. I own both and the video is mine.
I notice that you avoid turning up the resonance on the Minitaur for as long as possible. When you finally do, at around 9:45 in the video, you can hear the bottom end drop out as the resonance value increases. Then, at around 10:25, when you switch from the resonant Pulse 2 back to Minitaur, you can hear how much more bottom end the Pulse 2 retains. By 11:04 it is so completely obvious that I can't believe anyone would say the Moog's filter sounds better. It''s rubbish.

This is why I don't like Moog synths - it is a feature of ladder filters that you don't get with other filter types. To call something a "bass" synth and then to put one of those filters into it is a joke. To my ears the Waldorf craps all over the Moog.
sqigls wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:57 pmThe Minitaur is pretty fat, I'd say the filter is probably more instantly pleasing to most people.
Unless you want to use some resonance, at which point that fatness goes swirling down the crapper.
Also the HUGE LCD, with tiny little parameter readings, and a GIANT patch number, it's totally retarded.
Until you get on stage, when it's awesome.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Nm

BONES wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:13 am
Also the HUGE LCD, with tiny little parameter readings, and a GIANT patch number, it's totally retarded.
Until you get on stage, when it's awesome.
Fair point, I never thought about it.

So the best solution would be an option to switch the diplay behaviour between a "performance mode" (big patch number, as-is) and "studio mode" (smaller patch number, bigger parameter readings)... the only downside is that it could make the software more complex, requiring more development work (extra cost?), and it's another possible source of bugs...
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”