Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So. Sorry to sound like a grumpy old man, again, and risk setting off another four-page barrage of enmity and recriminations, but -- we now have a single page with three ads from people selling presets and homemade sample sets that are always on sale. Is this how we'd like the Bargains thread to go? Because, it'll just increase from here on out, guys.

We actually have a topic named 'Soundware' that is intended specifically for these kinds of products. 'For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.'

So far most soundset and patch creators have respected that. But that appears to be changing.

Myself, regardless of any perceived value or virtue, and not out of any personal animosity whatsoever, I'd like to encourage these vendors to advertise at KVR in the more appropriate place.

GreyLion wrote:So. Sorry to sound like a grumpy old man, again, and risk setting off another four-page barrage of enmity and recriminations, but -- we now have a single page with three ads from people selling presets and homemade sample sets that are always on sale. Is this how we'd like the Bargains thread to go? Because, it'll just increase from here on out, guys.

We actually have a topic named 'Soundware' that is intended specifically for these kinds of products. 'For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.'

So far most soundset and patch creators have respected that. But that appears to be changing.

Myself, regardless of any perceived value or virtue, and not out of any personal animosity whatsoever, I'd like to encourage these vendors to advertise at KVR in the more appropriate place.
+1

I'm not concerned about them being "homemade", I feel the same way about highly commercial soundsets TBH. I no more want to use Uhe's selected contributors there than I do the small guys.

Of course, it's in Buy/Sell, so it's not fair to say that it's off topic. I'm not using that thread so much these days, I often find out more from this thread, but, it's FB groups that are really the best source for me.

It doesn't matter if samples or presets or whatever else as long as they are really bargains they have to stay in the bargain thread. Of course: Are the sets you mention really always on sale? Then they should be treated what they are, a price that never go up isn't a bargain and shouldn't be in the bargain thread.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:It doesn't matter if samples or presets or whatever else as long as they are really bargains they have to stay in the bargain thread. Of course: Are the sets you mention really always on sale? Then they should be treated what they are, a price that never go up isn't a bargain and shouldn't be in the bargain thread.
Well, define bargain. I think that's part of the issue here and it's not really reasonable to ask people to evaluate the past price history of something that they think is a bargain. You might think that a sonnivox plugin for $20 is a bargain based on its retail price, but, well, at any rate.

I actually think that there's a good solution, but it won't go over well. You shouldn't be allowed to post the products that you create. Thus, this wouldn't apply to the general resellers like JRR or hiamusic, but it would apply to zerog, meldo, biosomethingIcantremember patches, etc.

That would get rid of most of the fluff because people are using it as a marketing outlet rather than for its intended purpose. Of course if you sell X then you think that any discount on X is a bargain. This should be up to the general KVR community to decide. If other people think that your sale is a bargain, they will post it in the bargains thread for you.

Further, I think that this jives with KVR's POV as those people should be buying ads, not filling up the bargain thread with pseudo-ads.

As already tried to explain imo only real sales should be in the bargain thread (time limited price discounts). Then again you must decide for yourself if something is a bargain or not for you. What isn't a bargain for you and me (Somivox is a very good example) may make someone else very happy.

IÍ think it's easy to bypass your idea of "You shouldn't be allowed to post the products that you create" as i think you can easily create multiple accounts, ask a mate to post for you etc.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:As already tried to explain imo only real sales should be in the bargain thread (time limited price discounts). Then again you must decide for yourself if something is a bargain or not for you. What isn't a bargain for you and me (Somivox is a very good example) may make someone else very happy.

IÍ think it's easy to bypass your idea of "You shouldn't be allowed to post the products that you create" as i think you can easily create multiple accounts, ask a mate to post for you etc.
Yes, no doubt people could find ways to get around it, but, creating multiple accounts is frowned on here and if you did it with the frequency that certain vendors publish you'd get caught out. Having a mate do it would get old for the mate pretty quickly, so, no, it's not foolproof, but, yeah, I think that it would clean things up.

murnau wrote:Are the sets you mention really always on sale? Then they should be treated what they are, a price that never go up isn't a bargain and shouldn't be in the bargain thread.
...like IKM, Waves etc etc :lol: I get your point though.
Eternitysound VST Banks

GeorgeZ wrote:
murnau wrote:Are the sets you mention really always on sale? Then they should be treated what they are, a price that never go up isn't a bargain and shouldn't be in the bargain thread.
More like the perpetual Metric Halo Production Bundle sale.

IKM and Waves are ok imho.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Yes the question is what qualifies something that never go up in price as bargain? Isn't it what it is? :)

mgw38 wrote:
GeorgeZ wrote:

At least with Waves you have to time it right or you'll miss getting the plugin that you want at the bargain price.

mgw38 wrote:
GeorgeZ wrote:

Companies with a whole lot of products can have constant sales that are different.

But some companies know their old products won't sell for full price anymore and have them on sale constantly, like Sonivox or Air. Mentioning the one that is currently on sale for $1? Is okay to me if it is not the same one that has been on sale for the last 2 months. Putting them in a group of a bunch of items on sale is okay also. But a whole post on them is usually too much.

Zero-G is another. I get their daily email. But 20% off to me is not much of a bargain. But they have enough products not to repeat often.

I'm kind of on the fence over this discussion. I agree with both sides up to a point. But I see that just because most of the "bargain" are stuff I would never look at, doesn't mean they aren't a bargain to someone else. And there are some companies that should probably limit their posts to once a week. Because daily posts are not helping their causes..... In this, they should maybe follow Waves and do a weekly sale, even if it is only 48 hours. Because coming from a marketing perspective, people quit paying attention after a while. Kind of like those going out of business sales that last 2 years. It is not really a sale.

hit quote instead of edit. sorry :dog:

dzilizzi wrote:Because coming from a marketing perspective, people quit paying attention after a while. Kind of like those going out of business sales that last 2 years. It is not really a sale.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a marketing guy, I can only speak about my own perception, but, it seems that it's worse than just not paying attention, right? It starts to leave a negative impression where people that would have been neutral to you don't like your products even though they otherwise would.

ghettosynth wrote:
dzilizzi wrote:Because coming from a marketing perspective, people quit paying attention after a while. Kind of like those going out of business sales that last 2 years. It is not really a sale.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a marketing guy, I can only speak about my own perception, but, it seems that it's worse than just not paying attention, right? It starts to leave a negative impression where people that would have been neutral to you don't like your products even though they otherwise would.
That is correct. It kind of feels like a fraud after a while. And once you get a bad reputation it is hard to overcome it.

dzilizzi wrote:hit quote instead of edit. sorry :dog:
I wish we wouldn't quote a post when we're simply replying to the last one. Just an idea.
Would drastically reduce the thread's length and make it more readable.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”