AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Codestation wrote:Last time I used AMD my CPU tower doubled as a furnace and - no matter what I did - an aircraft propeller sound source whenever I fired up... my DAW...

But that was years ago. If it's still a thing when I need to upgrade again, I'll check it.

Remember, DIVA > Omnisphere 2 > anything else you use.
cron wrote: This is another element for me. The noise. My i5-3570K at 4.5GHz is silent most of time, rising to a very gentle whirr when under full load. I'm using a cooler the size of my head to be fair though...
That's why I was looking at the 1700. It's a lower wattage chip with 8 cores. It's got a fair price, and I'm hoping would run with less of a cooling requirement.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

I hope it isn't a deja-vu from when I bought an FX8120

wickfut wrote:I hope it isn't a deja-vu from when I bought an FX8120
I am not familiar with that one, but the FX8350 and FX8370 are still decent processors today, much better than their reputation. After all, we are talking about high-performance processors in this thread, be it AMD or Intel. For most people and applications an FX8350 without OC is totally enough. People on KVR tend to be special in that they often want the most powerful processor because of modern plugins.

The 1700 looks great. A little bit expensive for me (pre order here for $499 NZD), while my budget is usually $350 NZD max for a processor, but in the description, they says " Includes 95W AMD Wraith Spire Cooling Solution ". Is that better than the stock intel cooling?

EnGee wrote:The 1700 looks great. A little bit expensive for me (pre order here for $499 NZD), while my budget is usually $350 NZD max for a processor, but in the description, they says " Includes 95W AMD Wraith Spire Cooling Solution ". Is that better than the stock intel cooling?
That's 360 USD, just 30 more than in the US.
Yes, it is a modern, silent cooler :) It is made for the lower TDP of the 1700, as opposed to the 140W Wraith Max version for the 1700X and 1800X models.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
EnGee wrote:The 1700 looks great. A little bit expensive for me (pre order here for $499 NZD), while my budget is usually $350 NZD max for a processor, but in the description, they says " Includes 95W AMD Wraith Spire Cooling Solution ". Is that better than the stock intel cooling?
That's 360 USD, just 30 more than in the US.
Yes, it is a modern, silent cooler :) It is made for the lower TDP of the 1700, as opposed to the 140W Wraith Max version for the 1700X and 1800X models.
Oh! Very very tempting then, because I don't need to buy 3rd party cooler then! But intel 7700k is only about $30 NZD more!
Anyway, I need about 4 - 6 months to save for the new system. I will read also the tons of reviews and benchmark in the meantime :)
I won't need a new graphic card (I'll take what's I have now, i play old games mostly anyway!) and I won't need a new SSD drive (I will prepare the current system to go to my sister, it would be super for her anyway!).
So, I think around $1000 NZD I can assemble a new Riesling, oops! I mean Ryzen and buy a nice Riesling wine to celebrate with :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote: I am not familiar with that one, but the FX8350 and FX8370 are still decent processors today, much better than their reputation. After all, we are talking about high-performance processors in this thread, be it AMD or Intel.
FX8150 and 8120 were AMDs big comeback Intel killer processor, a precursor to the FX8350. In its pre-release hype it was, like this new AMD is being hyped, an 8 core half price i7 killer . In reality it ran about as good as a midrange i3 unless you overclocked the shit out of it, and only then did it run slightly under the then current average stock i5. The FX8350 is below an i5 3570k, so it's an average CPU.
For most people and applications an FX8350 without OC is totally enough. People on KVR tend to be special in that they often want the most powerful processor because of modern plugins.

Well this is a music site where people are generally using these modern plugins and so need a powerful processor. :party:

According to which benchmark?
According to this the FX8350 is at the same level as the i5-7600:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

But that benchmark is on multicore performance, single core is a different story of course.
In this category the new AMD A12 series APU's are actually way superior to the FX processors, or any other pre-ryzen AMD processors for that matter.

fluffy_little_something wrote:According to which benchmark?
According to this the FX8350 is at the same level as the i5-7600:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

But that benchmark is on multicore performance, single core is a different story of course.
That's just it with that architecture. It seems AMD bet big on a strictly many-core future where single threaded performance became less important, and they lost. Single threaded performance remains a hugely important metric for most applications even now in 2017, let alone 2011.

Exactly, they were ahead of time.

I am keeping an eye on those older processors, hoping their price will be significantly reduced. Maybe even the Athlon 880 will do.

Eh, still 14 nm node but has a beefier L2 cache than Intel and 8 physical cores at a lower price-point. Intel held the advantage for many years but looks like it'll swing back to AMD unless Intel's further along developments of the next node-shrink.

14 nm is already very modern, the shrinking of the past decades is gradually coming to an end.

fluffy_little_something wrote:14 nm is already very modern, the shrinking of the past decades is gradually coming to an end.
yea I know. Time-scales are lengthening between shrinks due difficulties with thermals and quantum coherence. I'd say, gimmi more cache as so many applications are memory bound.

nonnaci wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:14 nm is already very modern, the shrinking of the past decades is gradually coming to an end.
yea I know. Time-scales are lengthening between shrinks due difficulties with thermals and quantum coherence. I'd say, gimmi more cache as so many applications are memory bound.
Indeed. When Skylake came out (hugely delayed), Intel said they were abandoning the two-year 'tick-tock' cycle and moving to a three-year 'process, architecture, optimisation' cycle. Even that's looking like it was hugely optimistic right now, and they're only one year into that new cycle.

These are the reasons why I have always stuck with AMD...
http://wccftech.com/intel-playing-dirty ... amd-ryzen/

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”