Windows Vista support ends April 11

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

metamorphosis wrote:Also it's UAC was super-annoying and pointless. By the time of SP2, and with UAC turned off, it got pretty reasonable.
Yeah, Uncle Microsoft was heavy handed on Vista in that regard. It was like a user was not allowed to enter Windows install directory or other programme folders, because it must have been expected that "dumb" users of course would delete something in there they shouldn't...
User Account Control (UAC) is a technology and security infrastructure introduced with Microsoft's Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 operating systems, with a more relaxed version also present in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012 and Windows 10. It aims to improve the security of Microsoft Windows by limiting application software to standard user privileges until an administrator authorizes an increase or elevation

Can't even remember how UAC was in Vista. I remember i used it, but, can't remember anything unpleasant. The most issues i had with UAC in general, is because application developers didn't care for it, thus didn't install user settings for all users, but just for the (installing) admin user. Or programs which didn't run as admin by default, even though they needed admin rights to access certain folders.

Hurry hurry!! If you have an urgent question regarding Vista you were too afraid to ask anywhere in the, what... last 15 years, ask it NOW because support is ending!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:Hurry hurry!! If you have an urgent question regarding Vista you were too afraid to ask anywhere in the, what... last 15 years, ask it NOW because support is ending!
Yes indeedy, because all knowledge regarding Vista evaporates at midnight on April 11.

But before said evaporation occurs...............
(you can skip the infill and jump past the next quote for my question if you wish)

A friend gave me a Vista desktop when I advised him to upgrade about a year ago.
I reinstalled it and updated what I could and there it sat in the corner waiting for me to impale myself on a length of skirting board.

About four weeks ago, the day after I actually impaled myself on a length of skirting board, my XP desktop decided to act up. It looked like a graphics card problem to me. While looking up solutions for the XP on my ultra-reliable Win7 desktop, that suddenly froze and presented a pattern on the screen that also looked like a graphics card issue.

So I booted up the Vista and went in search of solutions to both the issues.

All went well, and I actually surprised myself. After 2 days, I confirmed it was separate graphics card issues with the Win7 card having become an ex-graphics card and the XP card just not sitting right until I disconnected it and re-seated it. And the XP card also slotted into the Win7 to confirm everything else was OK there. £38 solved the problem.

So I'm thinking I should really make the Vista into a copy of the XP. Which is where this thread gets timely. I have had experience with my mothers Vista laptop, it had a faulty hard drive from the day it was purchased, but once fixed, it ran relatively fine. No admin permissions issues at all that I can recall.

But this Vista desktop is at it all the fucking time. Quite often I click on things and nothing happens unless I right click and select run as administrator. I have tried all combination of settings to overcome it and none work. In fact, everything does work but it is so damned irritating having to allow yourself permission to use it.
metamorphosis wrote:
chk071 wrote: Yeah, doesn't surprise. I never understood why it (Vista) got such a beating, in any regard.
Largely because when it first came out, it really was crap, and there were lots of drive and non-driver bugs. Also it's UAC was super-annoying and pointless. By the time of SP2, and with UAC turned off, it got pretty reasonable.
Does anyone remember how to turn UAC off (without reinstalling) ? I have given up trying and getting nowhere. I am prepared to spend only 15 more minutes on solving it and that's it, but if it isn't sorted by April 11, this Vista gets the lucky* banjo treatment.

*lucky, in that it has lasted this long.

EDIT !!!!! camsr posted a method below, that didn't work for me but lead me to quickly find the solution. (see posts below; 25th - 28th Feb 2017).
Last edited by bob bobwood on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:Can't even remember how UAC was in Vista. I remember i used it, but, can't remember anything unpleasant. The most issues i had with UAC in general, is because application developers didn't care for it, thus didn't install user settings for all users, but just for the (installing) admin user. Or programs which didn't run as admin by default, even though they needed admin rights to access certain folders.
In win7, I killded it dead (and it stayed dead) but I have not needed to do that with 10.

Probably just comes back on along with that cortana bitch :roll:

To turn off UAC, type secpol.msc into the search/run bar on the start menu, and find it's setting.

BTW, UAC is terrible on Ubuntu

I set a password when installing it on a computer, but when trying to update Ubuntu later via the software center, that password aint even enough

What does it take to break the UAC on Ubuntu ? :help:

I don't quite get it. In Ubuntu, you set up a user account, and you have a root password. You need the root password for administrative tasks like updating certain system components (not every update needs root rights). Not sure what you mean with "not enough". Of course your root password will be enough to install system updates which require root rights.

What is the root password?

I only set one password when installing Ubuntu

And that password isn't enough when trying to update Ubuntu

Well, it should, because it is the root password that you set up when installing Ubuntu indeed.

Well nevertheless my point remains that UAC sucks more on Ubuntu than Vista

Numanoid wrote:Well nevertheless my point remains that UAC sucks more on Ubuntu than Vista
In before the sh**storm from the Linuxists. :D

camsr wrote:To turn off UAC, type secpol.msc into the search/run bar on the start menu, and find it's setting.
Nah, I tried that. Not found. But I did then search for that online and found this;
Control Panel > User Accounts > Turn User Account Control on or off.
Who'd have thunk it could be that simples.....
Off, reboot, gone ! Thanks for taking the time to help though.

chk071 wrote:In before the sh**storm from the Linuxists. :D
Like they actually exist :P :D

What kind of hardcore Linux user would be running Ubuntu ?

Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distro, expecially when you count Linux Mint too, which is basically 99% Ubuntu. But, ya, the real hardcore dudes use Debian, and only open source software and drivers.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”