Logic Pro X 10.3 and GarageBand Updates out today

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GarageBand Logic Pro

I personally love the GUI a lot. Makes a huge difference for me using it. Great design and much easier to work with!

Wow, as the mac ecosystem seems to be going downhill, Logic and Garageband really seem to be amping up their game. I even noticed that Garageband has some kind of looping view not so unlike Ableton Live or Bitwig. Does Logic have this kind of thing too? Or is that just an ipad thing? Years back I always said I'd go back to Logic if they had a loop matrix type view. I always did like Logic's instruments and effects better than anything else on the market, and that was before Alchemy was part of it...

well, the new UI - quite nice, in some spots it looks a bit 'unrefined' or 'unfinished', but overall, quite nice IMHO ( always like Ableton's flat UI)

- music xml import
- midi plugins can remote control any automatable plug-in params on the same channel strip - sounds interesting if also true for scripts

some nice additions

best

jdnz wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote: I hate flat. This is enraging me. Apple's taste in design has turned from the arguably best to the absolute worst. And seeing how excruciatingly long we have had to wait for updates to Logic (pro users and content creators being utterly unimportant to current Apple executives), it'll take forever for this crap to be undone whenever someone new comes to power at Apple and changes the aesthetic direction back away from low-effort, amateur, flat and low-contrast garbage.
the entire industry is going 'flat' (not just on macos/ios) -
The industry was doing it some before Apple followed suit, yes, but then Apple joining the bandwagon made it worse.

Apple was supposed to be a trend setter, not a follower... They've made the fad into an entrenched trend because people tend to copy them, mostly because of the image of knowing what they're doing, and their prior reputation for quality of design they no longer execute on.
jdnz wrote:driven by the need for scalable UIs to handle the massive range of screens people have (will only get worse as the first 8K monitors hit the market)
Uh, that's a common explanation I've seen but the actual details of the software (and websites!) doing it don't seem to be validating this excuse. Things aren't more efficient or even adaptable. They're slower, on top of being harder to read and less clear to operate. The websites and apps don't adapt to canvas changes in a usable manner. "Responsive design" has been an abortion. It's anything but responsive to the user and it's often ugly and outright broken.

More importantly, Apple tried a vector GUI engine in-house. It didn't work out. There was far less control and consistency over the elements' behaviors when everything was freely scaled. They ended up standardizing on specific multiplications of bitmap resolutions to solve the need for scaling and sharpness.
jdnz wrote:beautifully rendered '3d' UIs just aren't feasible any more
I never asked for 3D. I just want distinctiveness, readability, self-evident differences between individual apps, and between their controls, text fields, editable text fields, etc... Vector art can be VERY rich and detailed. It can get almost photo realistic. This flat trash fad isn't necessary for vector GUI design. Look at Image Line's new vector UIs. Depth and detail (though not as much as before, but it's not simplistic and incomplete trash like Apple and most mobile app developers are doing now).

The cause isn't vectors. It's laziness and an unwillingness to pay for detailed design to be done by skilled designers. The way people have been indoctrinated into blasting detailed design as "self indulgent" is grotesque.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Yehaaw!! :party: I was really hoping for a "patcher" kind of feature being able to have a complex multi-lane fx setup for a single track with band splitting built in (like in Studio One, or kHz multipass), maybe in 10.3.1

Finally side chaining directly from instruments instead of just audio tracks!
I think the new UI is fantastic actually.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Modulation of automation parameters via midi FX is great.
I was hoping that i also could modulate the midi FX itself with another midi FX, no :(
Also it seems there is just the modulator usable.
The arp or randomizer would be great as modulation source too....maybe one day.
But finally i have a fast and easy way to use an envelope or LFO to control my FX plug-ins like B2.

Jace-BeOS wrote:
jdnz wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote: I hate flat. This is enraging me. Apple's taste in design has turned from the arguably best to the absolute worst. And seeing how excruciatingly long we have had to wait for updates to Logic (pro users and content creators being utterly unimportant to current Apple executives), it'll take forever for this crap to be undone whenever someone new comes to power at Apple and changes the aesthetic direction back away from low-effort, amateur, flat and low-contrast garbage.
The industry was doing it some before Apple followed suit, yes, but then Apple joining the bandwagon made it worse.

Apple was supposed to be a trend setter, not a follower... They've made the fad into an entrenched trend because people tend to copy them, mostly because of the image of knowing what they're doing, and their prior reputation for quality of design they no longer execute on.
If people demand flat, then it would be pretty stupid not to offer that. You see it everywhere. If people considered it ugly or unusable, then GUI designers would hardly follow that trend.

It'd be great if Apple would put even one of the Logic engineers on the OS team. Leaving it to the interns isn't working out.
Image Image Image Image

This flat UI seems faster than the previous UI?

(I don't own Logic but own Mainstage, and sooner or latter most of the changes in Logic appears on Mainstage)

waltercruz wrote:This flat UI seems faster than the previous UI?

(I don't own Logic but own Mainstage, and sooner or latter most of the changes in Logic appears on Mainstage)
From my first experiences, yes.

chk071 wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:
jdnz wrote:

If people demand flat, then it would be pretty stupid not to offer that. You see it everywhere. If people considered it ugly or unusable, then GUI designers would hardly follow that trend.
Who's demanding it? People who understand design or people who want novelty? This is a corporate/developer-driven trend, not a user-driven trend. It's cheap and quick and therefore they've decided to make a design aesthetic to promote it.

Trends and fads shouldn't define user interface design functionality. People who aren't UI experts shouldn't be the ones dictating UI design. Developers who suck at design are supposed to work with designers. Instead, it's become "kill all non-code experts, we don't need em".

As for users promoting it... There was never "demand" for flat design in any functional sense. There were geeks demanding change for the sake of change because of their tech geek boredom, the same as end users demanding more novelty. Everyone who defends flat design uses the same memes to talk about it: "clean", "minimal", and "fresh". No one defends it with any actual meaningful language, because the fact is that there's very little objective value to this aesthetic and a lot of negatives. I watch people suffering with this crappy UI convention and it's all because of a fad that they suffer.

Fads are rarely logical choices. They're reactionary, poorly considered, and temporary. They usually end up becoming hated in hindsight. Look to style fads of the 70s, 80s...

It's ludicrous that we FINALLY have high-ppi displays and the level of graphical detail has gone retrograde and plummeted to where GUIs barely look like they've gotten out of the prototype or even planning stage.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:
jdnz wrote:

Who's demanding it? People who understand design or people who want novelty? This is a corporate/developer-driven trend, not a user-driven trend.
Why? Because you say so? If something sells like hot cakes, would you say that it's not what people want, and demand, but rather something corporate-driven? I really don't get your argumentation. Just because you don't like doesn't mean noone likes it. Actually i find the flat trend pretty nice, because it's simple and usable. Take Google Android for example, that's just an excellent example of flat design done right. Windows 10, even though not quite as good as that, is better, more clear and simple than former Windows version too for me. And the design teams at Google, Apple, or Microsoft aren't exactly stupid too, and would develop designs past the will of users.

You're missing the point: people liking it doesn't mean it's better.

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3058094/th ... -ux-expert

But then your response ("Why? Because you say so?") [suggests to me that] you might not care about expertise, so it probably does no good for me to cite experts...

PS: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2672 ... -expertise
Last edited by Jace-BeOS on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”