working on a tonal chaos generator vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sendy wrote:let us sculpt or customize it if possible!
Yes, customization is a big part of this! I'm thinking of a scenario like how Sean Costello did Valhalla Room reverb. I could release a set of interesting "filters" and over time add on to the plugin. Each filter could have a number of "character customization" parameters beyond just "cutoff and resonance" but have other things like "scream factor" and "gurgleocity" and "don't turn this knob because all hell will break loose." :hihi: As well as more advanced parameters like "frequency vs stability" so you can have a less stable sound at higher or lower frequencies or have the filter cut out or become all glitchy at lower frequencies, or subdue the resonance at higher frequencies (some filters can be a bit ear-piercing in this respect)

Highly aggressive "analog" filter example
http://www.elanhickler.com/transfer/Cha ... filter.mp3
Had to post one more demo to demonstrate how mad you can make the chaos generator. I did not use an external distortion to make this sound, this is straight out of the mouth of the beast!

do you have any plans for a release date? some weeks, months... or 2018? if in "real" life nothing bad happens of course (fingers crossed).

probably i missed it: will there be an AU version?
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

It's being developed with JUCE so AU shouldn't be a problem.

Release date................... Last time someone asked I said by this Christmas. Since getting an idea of the development speed, a more realistic time frame is ~6 months, such as July 2017. I'm guessing a few more months of discovery (note: I have no idea wtf I'm doing most of the time, everything you hear is what I stumble upon after hours of messing with sliders, but each discovery prompts me to add a new feature which continues the discovery process). A few months of polishing the DSP, and a few months of GUI design.

What I'd like to do is release a less ambitious product, and one idea is a crazy filter/FSU plugin (btw it might also be able to do some interesting harmonic locking/pitch following stuff). That could happen... in 3 months? ...development is a bit slow unfortunately.

More examples using Chaosfly as an analog filter simulator!

Made a fun video showing off my attempt to get a Polivoks filter sound with Chaosfly, also some other random filtery sounds near the end
https://youtu.be/1SBWVHZ_Fho

Check out the X-Y scope that could be the one included in the final release of the chaos generator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvfLZGi8LWg

Hooked...

Those demo sounds are fascinating ! Can't wait to play with this !
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

* Apparently the chaos generator & oscilloscope will be able to make really nice noise fields

* Nice ferris wheel effect
ImageImage

* Double ferris wheel!
ImageImage

* Pretty...
ImageImage

* Nebula/galaxy look :love:
ImageImage

Rainbow control doesn't work yet, it's a work in progress.
Last edited by Architeuthis on Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

are those images from the software u are making?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Yes, they are made using the audio of the chaos generator and the oscilloscope that my Robin (RS-MET.com) and I are working on. Some iteration of the oscilloscope will be featured in Chaosfly. Yes, the oscilloscope you see *is* running as a VST right now. Edit: I plan on including some CPU-intensive modes for max prettiness. Hopefully we can also include some kind of video export.
Last edited by Architeuthis on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Architeuthis wrote:
Sendy wrote:let us sculpt or customize it if possible!
Yes, customization is a big part of this! I'm thinking of a scenario like how Sean Costello did Valhalla Room reverb.
A few tips for expandability:

- For the parameter(s) that you use for choosing different modes/filters/etc, divide the parameter into N possible choices, where N is 2 to 3 times bigger than the number of modes/filters/etc. that you plan on launching the plugin with. This allows you to add future modes/filters/etc., without breaking existing DAW projects that use an older version of the plugin.

- If you really want to future proof things, add several blank parameters on the end of your parameter list. You can always rename these in the future.

Sean Costello

Thanks for the suggestions, Sean. Eos is my favorite reverb, btw.

Architeuthis wrote:..my Robin..
:) a decent developer and human being, make sure you feed and water him properly :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

omg xoxos. :dog: :scared:

Hey thread readers, what do you think of my first product being an X-Y oscilloscope? It's a bit of an offshoot from the chaos generator, but it is turning into its own cool utility. I was thinking of including a super-simple chaos generator just so you can begin to explore shapes and sounds with the X-Y scope. Also, don't forget you can download Jerobeam Fenderson tracks, I'm actually calibrating the scope so it looks good with his tracks: https://www.youtube.com/user/jerobeamfenderson1

I could see this X-Y scope turning into a flagship product with tons of features. For the first release it will have many parameters that you could modulate along with your music to create a multitude of visually interesting effects; for example: by modulating the hue really fast you can get RGB blur effects; by modulating it slightly you can get purple-blue or red-orange halos (very pretty!). Increasing the frame persistence gives you a motion blur effect (this is different from pixel decay/fade). Stuttering the image thickness will give you a pumping/flashing image effect. Tempo-sync the brightness with slow pixel decay will allow you to "paint moments of time" onto the x-y scope. Combine all of these possibilities and you'll be able to create all kinds of artistic representations of signals.

What do you think? It won't be much of a sound generator (unless my super-simple chaos generator turns out to be really cool), and it will be more of a visual toy for non-video folks like us. But this product could be improved indefinitely by adding more and more visual effects possibilities and expanding it to include normal oscilloscope and spectral functions.

I am quite disappointed with the offerings of software signal analyzers. If it doesn't look beautiful then it's not worth looking at. :tu: (I'm only talking about signal analyzers, this is not my life philosophy! :roll:)

I'm thinking of a price ~$25 for the initial product, not dirt cheap, but not expensive as it won't be so useful for music composition [although it is essential for chaos-based sound synthesis]. Price will increase as the product is updated and becomes more useful for serious signal analysis. Early adopters will be thanked for supporting my efforts and will get upgrade/crossgrade pricing for future products.
Last edited by Architeuthis on Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

A pretty oscilloscope sounds great! Go for it! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”