U-He Hive Issue: Clicking

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm having an issue where certain attacks in Hive produce a very loud click. I've cycled through the different phase options and they all have the same issue. Also, all of my envelopes have values greater than 0. Not sure why this would be happening. I've had similar issues with Diva, but never so bad that it was intolerable. This is incredibly distracting and very loud. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm in PT 12.4.0, OSX 10.10.5

So, I seem to have narrowed down the culprit. I have one of the envelopes controlling mix on the chorus and when I disable that, the clicks go away. Still not sure why this is, since the envelope is very slow. Any help would be appreciated.

Most of the time, clicking comes from the envelopes attack setting.
Usually in Amp1, and sometimes short release times make this happen as well.
If you try raising attack and/or release just slightly, it will no longer happen.
You can still get a hard attack and short releases even when raising the attack or release level up a bit.

JakeBirch wrote:So, I seem to have narrowed down the culprit. I have one of the envelopes controlling mix on the chorus and when I disable that, the clicks go away. Still not sure why this is, since the envelope is very slow. Any help would be appreciated.
Is the mix ever going to zero?

JakeBirch wrote:I have one of the envelopes controlling mix on the chorus and when I disable that, the clicks go away. Still not sure why this is, since the envelope is very slow. Any help would be appreciated.
It's because the Chorus is a global effect while the envelope is triggered by voice. Voice-specific modulators on global targets of the ModMatrix are always controlled by the latest note played. Such that, when you hit a new note, a new voice takes over with an envelope in a different stage and the Chorus mix jumps - which causes that click.

Unfortunately there's nothing one can do about that since it's based on the physical concept of polyphony and a global effects section. I guess this is why most synths don't sport effects as ModMatrix targets, but I think it's such a powerful feature otherwise, it outweighs the possibility of a few clicks.

That said, envelopes on global ModMatrix targets are most useful with mono or legato sounds, or with very short envelopes. They're also good with targets that represent rates or frequency rather than levels or times - because jump in rate isn't gonna click as much as a jump in a level.

If you wnat to be on the safe side either way, use global modulators as sources for global targets - any MIDI Wheel or CC, host-synced LFOs, sequences will do.

Cheers,

- Urs

Makes me wonder, why are effects not per voice, too? Excessive CPU load?

fluffy_little_something wrote:Makes me wonder, why are effects not per voice, too? Excessive CPU load?
Sure, CPU load and memory consumption.

That's why for instance the Virus doesn't have effects per voice. And Dune. And Sylenth1. And Zebra. And pretty much all other polyphonic synths which have an effects section.

Hi, I've experienced a similiar issue, only on playback, and on most basic presets like the "Init" one.

I'm using Cubase 8.5 as host, but same issue occurs on 6.5. Hive version is 1.1, rev 3898.

Here's a picture of the wav file - "init" preset - which shows those annoying spikes (left channel only, btw).

Ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nope, no idea. Haven't seen those spikes before, let alone on one channel. Could you send the project file to support at u-he dot com? Curious to figure ths out.

One question: Do you have a Focusrite audio interface? I remember the support guys wre rambling about drivers and updates a few weeks ago.

Only on one channel and only during playback, that sounds weird :)

If it were the audio interface, would that even show up on the analyzer plugin? Doesn't the audio interface come after the DAW so to speak?
Does it also happen with other synths?

Maybe Urs has spotted the problem: I have a Focusrite interface (Scarlett 2i4)...! I wonder if a driver update should fix the issue [UPDATE: nope: newest driver was already installed]

@fluffy:
Tried also to put an audio analyzer, and yes, it shows the clicks :(
This happens with Hive only - first time I experience a similiar issue.

Thanks for the helpful replies so far!

bzur wrote:Maybe Urs has spotted the problem: I have a Focusrite interface (Scarlett 2i4)...! I wonder if a driver update should fix the issue [UPDATE: nope: newest driver was already installed]
It is most certainly the issue. Please contact our support team - they have dealt with it many times, unlike myself. Just send email to support@u-he.com

Urs wrote:
bzur wrote:Maybe Urs has spotted the problem: I have a Focusrite interface (Scarlett 2i4)...! I wonder if a driver update should fix the issue [UPDATE: nope: newest driver was already installed]
It is most certainly the issue. Please contact our support team - they have dealt with it many times, unlike myself. Just send email to support@u-he.com
Email sent! Thanks again, Urs :tu:

Any update on this with the init on the left channel in Bitwig 2.0
I'm also experiencing this and have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 v1.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Only on one channel and only during playback, that sounds weird :)

If it were the audio interface, would that even show up on the analyzer plugin? Doesn't the audio interface come after the DAW so to speak?
Does it also happen with other synths?
In falcon there is a workaround..so that per voice fx is possible. Awesome, but quite heavy on the cpu. I use it quite a lot though

Return to “Instruments”