Help me see the light....(IOW, I think this plugin stinks, change my mind)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xoxos wrote:Image
http://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-challenge/2007/

:)

so people who aren't wagner shouldn't try to write music eh.

stupid bully.

you're only proving my point by pointing out how limited my use of c++ is ;) i'm still releasing plugins companies like NI have never dreamed of. my user base is composed of knowledgeable, experienced synthesists. you can talk as much bullshit as you want, and chances are the inexperienced readers will believe you. doesn't mean shit.
I want to start out by saying that when I first started my VST journey, I downloaded all your stuff. Unfortunately, as it was all 32 bit, none of it worked without crashing my DAW, even with JBridge. But when I did get something to work, once in a while, I was very impressed with what you were able to do.

But I can't that stuff. I don't even know where to begin. And if you want to tell me that it's because I'm stupid, that's fine. And that's pretty much my point. Some of us ARE stupid. We can't do what you do. It's sad that you can't understand this no more than Sheldon Cooper can understand why everybody isn't as smart as he is.

I'm very happy for you that you can do this stuff. And I'm very grateful for people LIKE you who can do this stuff. Without you guys I wouldn't have all these wonderful toys to play with. I just wish you would make your stuff 64 bit so I can use it because you really have some interesting synths.

ghettosynth wrote:I just downloaded Sonnivox Twist on demo. The most exciting sounds that it makes are the horrible clicks that mute Reaper when you change the filter. What exactly is the point of this thing? Is there anything at all redeeming about this plugin?
I bought it a couple of years back, I thought it was me not getting it to work.

But when a pro like ghettosynth experience the same problems like myself, I feel vindicated

I gave Sonivox another chance by installing Vocalizer Pro a couple of weeks back, but it is just like Twist, the sound put into it, becomes less interesting on the other side.

I am just amazed that a quality company like AiR want to tarnish their reputation by being involved with Sonivox in anyway.

Sonivox. That stuff is HORRIBLE.
Aryaroman wrote:I like the idea of this thread.

Eisenberg Einklang. Do I need to say more? :roll:
I like it. Don't use it though but I like it :D
powermat wrote:Are we still discussing hopeful hidden goodies in our personally owned and judged crappy plugins?

If so, when I first tripped into making electronic music, I jumped in by purchasing a DAW and 2 synthesizer plugins.

Synthmaster: Does not belong in this thread, in my humble opinion. I seriously fall deeper in love with this complicated (in a good way) being of a virtual instrument with every use.

And Enzyme: :oops: :help: :bang:

I mean, it does produce sound... but ... I'd rather drop a sample on a track and place my own effects chains.

However, I hold on to it in case I live in a different plane of existence from the people who enjoy it and one day I'll fall off of my plane and onto theirs.

If the devs of Enzyme read this, please note that I probably do live on my own plane of existence and your product may indeed be mind blowingly awesomesauce! However, in this world of me so far, I wouldn't put that sauce on anything. :scared:
Enzyme can be a bit challenging sometimes. Usually I use it by hitting the random button and waiting for a nice sound to pop up that I can use as an fx :D
thejonsolo wrote:I like turtles.
I love boobs :tu:

wagtunes wrote:
xoxos wrote:let's do this again, for the clowns

this is cruddy dsp, but it's dsp that works.

this is the *entire* dsp barrel of fauna.

OMG division!!!! :scared:

you can stick your sorries in a sack mister
It is kind of sad that you can't understand that for some of us, even those of us with a programming background, look at what you posted above and it's Greek to us. I have no idea what any of that means.
Not Greek, no. It is only pseudocode, tho written also to be obnoxious C-like C++.
By implementation, very much repetition here can be solved from modern language features from even C++11. No surprise it is unreadable lacking such awareness of features, I think.

Coding well I think it is not enough to simply hack out this correct answer - this correct answer must be also readable and maintainable. I am thankful modern features make this now almost possible!

Tho yes, still it is only pseudocode. Read intention and flow, not syntax.

xoxos wrote:Image
http://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-challenge/2007/

:)

so people who aren't wagner shouldn't try to write music eh.

stupid bully.

you're only proving my point by pointing out how limited my use of c++ is ;) i'm still releasing plugins companies like NI have never dreamed of. my user base is composed of knowledgeable, experienced synthesists. you can talk as much bullshit as you want, and chances are the inexperienced readers will believe you. doesn't mean shit.
I've never said anything in that sense.
I said that what you write is not C++, it's C, and that writing good C++ is way harder than what you were saying ("i'd say c++ itself is about as complicated as learning to drive a car"), and good C is most often bad C++. I never meant to discourage anyone to start learn and write plugins, on the contrary. But I'm correcting your post saying that knowing a few commands is enough to learn C++. It's not. What you're doing is C (and not very clean C code either), and even then, it's not so easy for everyone.
Gamma-UT wrote:
lolilol1975 wrote: First of all, that's C, not C++. C is a very small subset of C++. What you know is about 5% of C++.
In that case, how about you write an efficient equivalent that is "proper" C++? From what I've seen of processor-friendly DSP code, it often looks pretty gnarly and this is clearly the insides of a single function call so I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of templating going on. Though I might think about ways to cut down on the if() statements – from a pipeline efficiency standpoint rather than one of writing oh so elegant C++, which doesn't seem that relevant in this instance.
Never said the contrary. It's probably possible and unnecessary. Although this code is rather untidy and obscure due to bad naming and no documentation, and I'm pretty sure some parts would gain to be made reusable as inline functions in a real synth. As soon the algorithm gets a bit more involved, this manner of coding completely breaks down. But I guess that's beside the point.

blah blah blah, you guys are all off topic, this thread is about plugins that suck.

Numanoid wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I just downloaded Sonnivox Twist on demo. The most exciting sounds that it makes are the horrible clicks that mute Reaper when you change the filter. What exactly is the point of this thing? Is there anything at all redeeming about this plugin?
I bought it a couple of years back, I thought it was me not getting it to work.

But when a pro like ghettosynth experience the same problems like myself, I feel vindicated

I gave Sonivox another chance by installing Vocalizer Pro a couple of weeks back, but it is just like Twist, the sound put into it, becomes less interesting on the other side.

I am just amazed that a quality company like AiR want to tarnish their reputation by being involved with Sonivox in anyway.
I'm flattered, but seriously, don't confuse a loud amateur for a professional. That said, yeah, the plugin sucked, and thanks for the heads up on Vocalizer Pro, you've helped me to finalize the decision not to take advantage of the super sale.

For me it's Strobe 2. I don't mind the sound for basic SH-101 types sounds but the sound just seems to get bad the more complex you try to make a patch. And the patch library is just horrible to my ears. I realize I'm probably in the minority, but man I can't stand so many of the sounds it makes.

Return to “Instruments”