Which Voxengo UI variant looks better? (iteration 7)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

Which UI variant looks better?

A
38%
B
62%

Total votes: 45

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some critique: The UI looks a bit over-shaded (i.e. overloaded on gradients, shadows, 3D-ness). This adds unnecessary visual clutter which detracts from clarity and ease of use.

Specific advice:

1) Ease on the gradients, shadows. Make it flatter. The knobs in particular...

It doesn't have to be 100% flat, I appreciate pseudo-3D look, as long as it's not overdone. The critical information needs to stand out the most, even from a distance (and you've done a good job here).

2) Numbers need some padding (e.g. under the dials). They look cramped.

My 2 cents...

Evan wrote:Some critique: The UI looks a bit over-shaded (i.e. overloaded on gradients, shadows, 3D-ness). This adds unnecessary visual clutter which detracts from clarity and ease of use.

Specific advice:

It doesn't have to be 100% flat, I appreciate pseudo-3D look, as long as it's not overdone. The critical information needs to stand out the most, even from a distance (and you've done a good job here).

2) Numbers need some padding (e.g. under the dials). They look cramped.

My 2 cents...
+1 agree

Evan wrote:Some critique: The UI looks a bit over-shaded (i.e. overloaded on gradients, shadows, 3D-ness). This adds unnecessary visual clutter which detracts from clarity and ease of use.

Specific advice:

All can be turned off already in the global settings - visual settings. Check flat panel, uncheck spotlight and shadows (I also uncheck textures - hate the cheesy fake grain)

Here is my contribution with a dark Voxengo GUI, be sure to use the correct global settings, as pictured.

(Right click -> "View Image" to see the original size)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lesha on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's easy if you know how

Very nice Lesha!
www.montrealserai.com
Montreal Serai-featuring diverse arts; poems; essays, cinema & music reviews, coverage of alternative media

I like the general style of Leshas dark and modern GUI suggestion above, although I have big problems reading that thin font with its compressed tracking. Maybe it's not 1:1 scale?

Having thought some more, I realise that my pet aversion to the Voxengo default 'lab' style is the stripey 'asian fan' scales around the knobs. They greatly contribute to the 'business' of the UI, with all those little dark lines that is really clutter without have any real purpose.

I suspect that the 'fan scales' have become some sort of visual trademark – they make it very easy to identify a plug as a Voxengo. On the other hand, since all plugs look virtually the same, it's very hard to identify the purpose of an effect without looking closer. I'd be really happy to see the fans go…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:I like the general style of Leshas dark and modern GUI suggestion above, although I have big problems reading that thin font with its compressed tracking. Maybe it's not 1:1 scale?
Thanks, please right click and view the image alone, as it is compressed to fit this forum.

Lesha wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:I like the general style of Leshas dark and modern GUI suggestion above, although I have big problems reading that thin font with its compressed tracking. Maybe it's not 1:1 scale?
Thanks, please right click and view the image alone, as it is compressed to fit this forum.
Yep, looks really good!

What's your take on the 'asian fan' scales? ;-)

/Joachim

Spitfire31 wrote:
Lesha wrote:
Yep, looks really good!

/Joachim
Unfortunately, I am limited by the options Aleksey left in the GUI editor.

Lesha wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:What's your take on the 'asian fan' scales? ;-)

/Joachim

Much better than the bright yellow contrast, anyway. Looks less like a research lab setup. Nice work!

/Joachim

Spitfire31 wrote:Much better than the bright yellow contrast, anyway. Looks less like a research lab setup. Nice work!

/Joachim
Tapehead wrote:Very nice Lesha!
Thank you :tu:

Lesha wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:
Lesha wrote:
Yep, looks really good!

/Joachim

How do we get this one? Good work!
www.montrealserai.com
Montreal Serai-featuring diverse arts; poems; essays, cinema & music reviews, coverage of alternative media

Tapehead wrote:How do we get this one? Good work!
Thanks. Download the attachment I left above and load it using any Voxengo plugin.

Thank you very much, Lesha! Your mod works wonders for my Voxengo plugs, especially in Live and Logic! They fit right in and my eyes thank you!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Return to “Effects”