iLok 3rd generation- all metal design- anyone have one yet?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well the text on the iLok page is marketing babble, Brent. If it's really faster is yet to be seen. But I take it the USB chipsets only get faster from here on out. Storage wise, I do not remember that was really 3 times smaller. Still... 1500/3 = 500 licenses...

On that behalf, let's quote some online comic (Gunnerkrigg Court):

Thomann took up to 3 months post iLok2 release to even announce that they will be getting the iLok2 - for 50EUR indeed (or was it 45EUR as MSRP? Don't remember - had to get mine out of the US). So if some developer suddenly is like "meh, iLok3 from now on - doesn't matter if update or new version - you're SOL!", then I'm indeed screwed.

Still, I guess the MSRP will be 50EUR again- And that is way too much for an USB Copy Protection Key that barely lasted 6 years (...for Germany that is).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Well the text on the iLok page is marketing babble, Brent. If it's really faster is yet to be seen. But I take it the USB chipsets only get faster from here on out. Storage wise, I do not remember that was really 3 times smaller. Still... 1500/3 = 500 licenses...
I can't vouch for the speed. Never noticed any issues here with 2nd generation on speed though, so that "feature" isn't much use for me. And the extra storage isn't needed either. I do have a LOT of licenses in my iLok account, but nowhere near the limit. So those features are all of no current use for me. I'm mostly interested in the metal construction.

Thomann took up to 3 months post iLok2 release to even announce that they will be getting the iLok2 - for 50EUR indeed (or was it 45EUR as MSRP? Don't remember - had to get mine out of the US). So if some developer suddenly is like "meh, iLok3 from now on - doesn't matter if update or new version - you're SOL!", then I'm indeed screwed.

Still, I guess the MSRP will be 50EUR again- And that is way too much for an USB Copy Protection Key that barely lasted 6 years (...for Germany that is).
Not sure. I know Sweetwater has the iLok3 for $45 USD, if that helps with any comparisons. I haven't looked at other retailers yet.

The good news is that even if a developer decides to go iLok3 only, it won't likely be for at least a couple of months. I've mentioned Slate as being one who jumped on the iLok2 only train. But if they go iLok3, judging by their record of release dates, you'll have at least 6 months to plan for any product they announce today :hihi:

Brent
My host is better than your host

DEPENDS... D16 Repeater and the Distressor is still on their front porch (they did release VerbSuite today). So things can pretty much shift from one day to another. Slate went iLok2 pretty much day 1 because of the leak of the at that time still in development "VCC". Which wasn't good for business.

Either way... I'll keep an eye on this. Last time (switch from iLok1 to iLok2), it was also that the US was pretty much covered instantly (keys in stock), the announcement fairly non-existant either, and all other countries lagging behind. We'll have to wait and see how this will turn out.

Speed wise on the other hand, this could be a drastic improvement.

An example with Slate Digital (again) - but in this case VMR (Virtual Mix Rack):
At this stage, there are 12+ modules in the rack. Not counting add-ons like the "Virtual Microphone System" with the bonus mics. The loading time is unholy slow if you have the full suite. This is a known issue and even in their knowledge base. Reason for the loading times are because of the iLok checking each license prior to initializing the UI. I don't know why this is causes so many issues, but it's more annoying the more licenses you have for the rack.

Here, a faster stick (assuming we talk USB2.x or USB3) might (maybe) really improve things in terms of checking the licenses. How - don't ask me - that's their trade secret. Maybe on the USB key are some files that need to be loaded each time a plugin starts. But then again... I did try the iLok2 on an USB3 port and the speed difference compared to a normal USB2 port was pretty much nill.

So if they promise a "faster key", I hope that it covers the speed of old iLok1, but with the security of most recent iLok2 (or iLok3 - newer/stronger key, etc).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

iLokalypse NOW

You like the smell of molten plastic in the morning? :hihi:

I watched my workstation crawl along the edge of copyright protections...

aMUSEd wrote:Nice but I'll miss the blue glow
So I just spotted on a graphic over at the Pro Tools Expert site that there is still indeed a glowing blue indicator on this version:

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-pa ... -exclusive

It is in the 'loop' part of the design, apparently. So maybe you won't have to miss the blue glow after all?

Brent
My host is better than your host

That was kind of expected to happen soon enough despite all the naysayers and iLok fanboys being in denial.

I'm sure it's sooner than later when paying users have to shell out another 50$ to keep using their plugins. Though it would clock in more close to 80-90$ here with shipping included.
No signature here!

I am not sure ilok has any 'fanboys'....it's more of a nessesery evil.
I am still on Ilok 1 and people selling software that requires iloc 2 (or 3) just don't get my business- it's not an upgrade I feel inclined to make, it adds nothing to me for almost 50 pounds....a very expensive and totally unessesery dongle upgrade (if they want to get people of the hacked V1 they should offer an upgrade price for a tenner or somethings, at cost)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

i don't understand why they release a V3 now , the V2 is still not cracked...

koolkeys wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Nice but I'll miss the blue glow
I like the blue glow as well, but I hate the design of the 2nd generation models. They are some of the harder USB sticks to pull out, IMO.
Ive used Kingston memory sticks in the same form factor as the new iLok3 and I find them (and others of a similar size like the Sandisks) harder to remove than large ones and the v2 iLoks.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Smaller is good, but it could be still much smaller. Why not like this?

Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

hivkorn wrote:i don't understand why they release a V3 now , the V2 is still not cracked...
That was sarcasm, right? :scared:
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:
hivkorn wrote:i don't understand why they release a V3 now , the V2 is still not cracked...
No , ilok 2 has been cracked ? :o

hivkorn wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:
No , ilok 2 has been cracked ? :o
Have you been living in a jungle without computers and electricity or something for the past year? :hihi:
No signature here!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”