Futzbox alternative

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a cheap or free alternative to futzbox.

Any recommendations?

Edit: I'm not sure. I guess it's not as simple as breaking the pieces of it apart.

I think Futzbox is pretty well priced for what it does. Especially when (as far as I know) the only of contender is Speakerphone which is $495.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Only other things near that bit of the ballpark really, apart from Speakerphone, would be Trash2, and maybe Chipcrusher, for particular lofi artefacts.

Trash2 gives you the distortion/filter/speaker side of the equation, includign IRs, but no background noise samples. Chipcrusher is aimed primarily at lofi artefacting but includes some background noise sample capability.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

thanks for the recommendations.

i like trash2. i'll have to try chipcrusher. looks pretty cool

Chipcrusher is amazing for digital dirtiness. If you want to do lofi though I would keep an eye out for a sale and grab speakerphone. It's pretty much the best thing going for screwing up a sound.
Sonitex is also amazing but it's a synthedit machine so 32-bit only and widows only and prone to crashing bridgers. If you're on a 32 bit host I'd recommend it highly though. I still use it despite the crashiness when I want quick vinyl style mangling.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Just get a impulse response loader + some impulses of various devices and speaker cabinets + some good distortion effects = that's essentially what Futzbox and Speakerphone do.

I've heard good things about nebula 3 impulses.

Anybody use it for the h3500 sampler?

http://signaltonoize.com/?p=2573

Izak Synthiemental wrote:Just get a impulse response loader + some impulses of various devices and speaker cabinets + some good distortion effects = that's essentially what Futzbox and Speakerphone do.
Speakerphone does lots more than that (tons of filters, bizarre modulation, telecom encoding emulations, tons of assignable LFOs, and then separate mic, speaker, room ,and covering Impulses). It's by far the most advanced product for this type of thing. Most of what futzbox does seems like it could be covered with chipcrusher and the free voxengo boogex.

i was gonna demo the futzbox but it requires an ilok2. :dog:

djmino02 wrote:i was gonna demo the futzbox but it requires an ilok2. :dog:
Futzbox would be more than covered by the capabilities of chipcrusher and a couple freeware distortions. Really you could just use voxengo boogex and a bunch of free impulse responses if you wanted. It does convolution but isn't as flexible as other IR players and also only comes with guitar IRs.
I've been around mcdsp stuff my whole musical career and their stuff is pretty unremarkable in my humble opinion. That and they use ridiculous copy protection and have dumb high prices. They are one of the early wave of plugin producers who still are riding off of the fact they they were available in protools dsp based systems when someone needed extra dsp to use a DAW. Therefore tons of engineers are familiar with using these plugins and they still sell. They are like Waves if they had stopped improving in 2005. (I'm not a fan if you can't tell). Good luck finding something that does what you want.

Klanghelm makes the SDRR (cheap), and the IVGI (free) saturators. Both are very nice

I got to try out futzbox. It is pretty cool. I think it's too expensive though for what it is.

I'm surprised there aren't more plugins like it.

Return to “Effects”