Recommendations for changing interface + preamp combo

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

At the moment I'm using a Focusrite Safire Pro24 DSP with an Audient Mico linked via spdif. I've been extremely happy with the audio quality of these and the Saffire Pro 24 DSP has been extremely reliable! However, I've had a couple of issues with the pots on the Mico and it I should possibly going to have to go in for repair the second time in 18months! This is pretty disappointing as I love this preamp and think it's a wonderful sounding preamp. If the Mico has definitely developed a fault again I will consider selling it as I need something reliable. If I do end up deciding to sell the Mico these are the two options I'm considering :-

1/ Keep Saffire Pro 24 DSP and replace Mico with WARM Audio WA12

2/ Wait for Windows drivers for Focusrite Clarett 8Pre and replace both Mico and Saffire.

There are various pros and cons from these options which are :-

PRO's

- The Focusrite Saffire has been rock solid so I trust it! It can be powered via the computer. Also, the WARM WA12 is a wonderful sounding preamp and I possibly slightly prefer it to the Mico.

- The Clarett has received glowing praise for its high audio quality and low latency. Preamps based on ISA should be on a par with Mico. Newer converter technology with higher dynamic range. An extra 4-5 preamps. Latency should be low enough to use my favourite high quality reverb plugins for vocalists to track with. Power switch is on the front!

CONS

- If I replace Mico with WARM WA12 I'll have to use a Saffire line input which runs through the preamp circuit but is padded down. This could possibly add more hiss but not sure if it will be noticeable!? Also, the Saffire uses older converter technology to the Clarett 8Pre. I'll be losing one channel of preamp though not a deal breaker. Power switch is on the back of the Saffire Pro 24DSP. Possibly higher latency than the Clarett (but won't know that until Windows drivers become available to test).

- There is still no news on Windows drivers for the Focusrite Clarett interfaces or if Windows 7 will be supported! Also, no idea of how well a Thunderbolt interface is going to perform on my computer or how stable it will be!? Also the Clarett Control mixer doesn't have any monitoring reverb which is something I use a lot for singers. Additional expense of thunderbolt card and cable making the Clarett a much more expensive option!!

My budget is limited to around £650 if I buy a new interface or around £400 for a preamp if I replace the Mico. Here are my interface requirements :-

1/ Audio quality of preamps, conversion and latency to be at least as good as the Saffire's.
2/ Midi I/O
3/ 2 headphone outputs with separate mixes
4/ Adat/spdif I/O
5/ 4 + different monitor mix outputs
6/ A minimum of 2 mic pres with a total of 4 analog inputs and 6 amalog outputs
7/ Rackmountable

What would you recommend I do?
Last edited by dickiefunk on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have you looked at Audient id22? I Recently swapped a EMU 0404 + mico combo for the id22, and I'm very happy.

skipscada wrote:Have you looked at Audient id22? I Recently swapped a EMU 0404 + mico combo for the id22, and I'm very happy.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've just added my requirements to my original post which unfortunately the id22 doesn't suit.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”