Xfer Serum for 169.99 instead of 189..worth it ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i,m torn between getting a Waldorf or Serum

seems JRRshop have a "blowout" on Serum
other store have it at 189 and there is that splice thing

go to Jrr and register to sign in and have access to the "blowout" Serum is there for 169.99
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

i installed the Demo and Wow..awesome but CPu usage is a bit high for me

Serum is more Fun than i thought, you can have envelopes for the FXs how cool is that
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

The synths should sound fairly different. Personally, i love Waldorf's sound, best of them all, so, it'd be obvious what i would go for.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chapelle wrote:
realmarco wrote:go to Jrr and register to sign in and have access to the "blowout" Serum is there for 169.99
You should be able to get it for $158.76 at JRR if you add the non-blowout Serum to the cart and use the "group" coupon code. :wink:

yeah I bought it there for around that price.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

The only Waldorf WT synth that I have is Nave. I like it. I think it has a smoother sound than Serum, the latter of which I think is better for the typical EDM stuff you usually hear associated with it. I use both, usually for different applications. Point is, they are not really interchangeable. You won't get the same sound timber out of each. So depending on what kind of music you want to do, that's the synth you're going to want to go with.

Demo them both before you make any firm decisions. At least that's what I would do.

Serum is a good investment IMO. It is a very capable synth and very well designed. The sound is like neutral. Not that harsh like Massive, not sweet like Icarus, ..etc. It is well balanced synth IMO.

I don't think it eat much cpu. It is OK. Less than Reaktor I think.

Anyway, I don't have it anymore, because I have paid another $10, but Splice didn't discounted from the whole price! I have sent email, and they said they will look into it! Zzzzzz! Nothing, so i stopped the payment and uninstall Serum (Pity, I was very enthusiastic about it and about the Splice plan).

I have Waldorf Largo, but not Nave. Largo is a very different synth I can't compare it to Serum, even Massive is different. I don't see overlapping here. I don't know exactly about Nave, but between the two, I would take Serum, at least it has more friendly protection ;)

Waldorf synths got their own sound and features an are not directly comparable to e.g. Serum and Icarus IMO.

If you like the Waldorf sound you should get a Waldorf synth and even those are different in their sound and feature set. Anyway Largo is maybe the closest to some of their hardware synths like Blofeld, Q and Microwave 2 while Nave is supposed to be a modern version of their "Wave" synth (Nave = New Wave). PPG Wave 3.V is an aumaltion of the classic PPG Wave 2.2/2.3 (with some advanced features, also compared to PPG 2.V) and one of my all time favorite softsynths (while more limited in terms of features compared to Nave and Largo).
Largo is the only Waldorf softsynth that includes e.g. Comb filters, Osc Sync, FM and a dual multimode filter (Nave has a single filter with differnt filter modes which do not seem to sound similar to Largo).
Nave is the only Waldorf softsynth capable of using Resynthesis to import samples and WAV wavetables.
With the 3D editor you could also edit the wavetable (including partials for single waveforms) while i admit this is not very simple to use.

I am happy that i got all Waldorf softsynths besides several other wavetable synths (including 2 wavetable capable hardware synths) where currently Icarus is my "go to" wavetable synth.

I have tried the Serum demo several times but never liked it enough to buy it.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I love Nave... And Serum is class.

Personally, I go Serum just because it has a wider scope of options (more filters, effects, etc.).

But Nave's filter is probably one of the smoothest I've ever heard on any softie.

Serum now and Nave later! :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I've found some things that were cheaper in the regular jrrshop than they were in blowout section. I always check both to make sure. Seems like sometimes stuff gets marked down and blowout section might not get updated.

I find Serum is a lot of fun for sound design, and inevitably make noisy and chaotic things with it... but those noisy and chaotic things sound HUGE. :) One of my favorite softsynths.

I'm a fan of Serum for leads and such. I can never seem to get it warm or thick enough though and a lot of my recent projects have been very "BIG" sounding so I've been layering it in where I can but it's not getting as much use as it use to at the moment.

Splice still has their 10 dollars a month "rent to own" plan too. Serum acts kind of odd on my i5 MacBook Pro sometimes. Occasionally, I get a popping noise when switching presets. I has crashed Ableton Live once for me just when I was inserting it on a track. Some patches with polyphony will run 40 percent CPU and make that familiar crackling sound many of us know so well. On the other hand, it sounds great, has frequent updates, good support, etc, and is only setting me back 10 dollars a month. I can live with its quirks with the understanding that it is continually being improved upon.

Return to “Instruments”