Sandman pro Cubase bugginess

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sandman Unfiltered Audio Sandman

So, I grabbed Sandman Pro the second I heard about it. It is now probably my favorite delay for oddball stuff ever. It can do lots of the odd tricks that I used to do with stomp boxes during marathon sampling session and all sorts of other great stuff. It's also pretty great for just normal delay effects and chorus, widening, modulation fx. Yeah. So I fired it up on Bitwig which is my jamming software, and had no issues and did great things. When I tried to incorporate it into a real song today in Cubase 8.0.40 which is my main host it crashes every time I try to close it. At first I though it was the fact that it was a VST3 version and maybe they had a poor implementation there, but indent, dent, and sandman are all vst 3 and give me no trouble.
From the way it crashes it looks like a graphics thing. The GUI goes grey and the window never closes. From then on Cubase is completely unresponsive. I'm wondering if anybody out there has experienced this and or spoken with the developer about it (I've sent in a support request too). I'm also wondering if I can somehow get Cubase to use the vst 2 version instead of the 3. Some plugins show both formats, but others only the one. Is there a trick in the plugin manager to have both shown in the list or to eliminate the vst3 thereby making the vst2 appear?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm super into this plugin but Unfiltered Audio doesn't appear to do lots of updating.

Thanks,
JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

What's this? There is a Sandman Pro thread right here on the first page of this very forum - so why on earth did you feel the need to start this one instead of posting in there? :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Some plugins show both formats, but others only the one. Is there a trick in the plugin manager to have both shown in the list or to eliminate the vst3 thereby making the vst2 appear?
The ones that show only one (normally, the VST3 version) do so because both use the same ID. So the only way to see the VST2 version is to remove the VST3 version.
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

vic_france wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote: Some plugins show both formats, but others only the one. Is there a trick in the plugin manager to have both shown in the list or to eliminate the vst3 thereby making the vst2 appear?
The ones that show only one (normally, the VST3 version) do so because both use the same ID. So the only way to see the VST2 version is to remove the VST3 version.
Thanks!

I'll give that a try.

jens wrote:What's this? There is a Sandman Pro thread right here on the first page of this very forum - so why on earth did you feel the need to start this one instead of posting in there? :?
So someone might notice and give me some useful advice (like they did) rather than getting lost in a billion posts of shmucks arguing about different forms of copy protection and the fairness or unfairness of upgrade pricing. Why didn't you post on that thread about how people are starting other threads rather than wasting your time here?

Vic,
Do you know if there is any way to fudge the ID of a plugin? There used to be a program that did that. I can't seem to google it up at the moment. The vst2 works fine though. Also it can be wrapped in blue cat's patchwork and will run fine in either format.

Ah_Dziz wrote:Vic,
Do you know if there is any way to fudge the ID of a plugin? There used to be a program that did that. I can't seem to google it up at the moment. The vst2 works fine though. Also it can be wrapped in blue cat's patchwork and will run fine in either format.
I'm afraid I have no idea how to do that, sorry. (I suspect there are several places, both in the plugin itself, and probably also in some Cubase cached data that could be calling upon the ID.. way beyond my paygrade, I'm afraid ;) )
But I second your praise for BlueCat's Patchwork (and, in all fairness, also DDMF's MetaPlugin).. there have been times here when a VST plugin hasn't played too nicely, natively in Cubase, but works without problem when loaded into one or other of those shells ;) (but you wouldn't be able to load any vstpresets that had been stored natively in Cubase's MediaBay).
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

Ah_Dziz wrote:So someone might notice and give me some useful advice (like they did) rather than getting lost in a billion posts of shmucks arguing about different forms of copy protection and the fairness or unfairness of upgrade pricing.
I didn't even read the other thread in question, but but I could just imagine the swift formation of rolling black clouds throughout it. :hihi:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Hey! Sorry for the slow response. I'm subscribed to the other thread. The quickest way to reach us is via contact [at] unfilteredaudio [dot] com or through https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/tech_support.html, although I see you mention that you sent in a support request already.

We definitely have not seen this behavior before, and Cubase is one of the main hosts that the PA QA team uses. When you say that it crashes when you "close it", are you referring to closing the Sandman Pro interface, or closing the Cubase project? Also, which operating system? What graphics card do you have (if on Windows)?

We are already working on a Sandman Pro hotfix to fix a modulation issue and a Multitap CPU bug. Hopefully we can figure out what's going on here as well.

It's when I close the plugin window. It will also hang if I close the project. I'm gonna check out updating my graphics driver.

Edit: it is windows 7 pro 64bit and the 64 bit vst3 version of the plugin. Putting it in a shell fixes the problem. It also runs fine in every other host I have. It's odd.

Ah_Dziz wrote:It's when I close the plugin window. It will also hang if I close the project. I'm gonna check out updating my graphics driver.

Edit: it is windows 7 pro 64bit and the 64 bit vst3 version of the plugin. Putting it in a shell fixes the problem. It also runs fine in every other host I have. It's odd.
Thanks! I'm suspecting that it may be a weird graphics issue. If updating your graphics driver doesn't fix it, can you do the following?:
1) Open you Start menu.
2) Type "dxdiag" into the search box. This should show dxdiag.exe. Run that.
3) Click "Save All Information" on the bottom and generate a file.
4) E-mail the file (including a reference to this thread) to contact [at] unfilteredaudio [dot] com.

This file will give us a breakdown of the hardware you're using, including the exact make, model, and driver version of your graphics card.

thelizard wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:It's when I close the plugin window. It will also hang if I close the project. I'm gonna check out updating my graphics driver.

Thanks! I'm suspecting that it may be a weird graphics issue. If updating your graphics driver doesn't fix it, can you do the following?:
1) Open you Start menu.
2) Type "dxdiag" into the search box. This should show dxdiag.exe. Run that.
3) Click "Save All Information" on the bottom and generate a file.
4) E-mail the file (including a reference to this thread) to contact [at] unfilteredaudio [dot] com.

This file will give us a breakdown of the hardware you're using, including the exact make, model, and driver version of your graphics card.
On it. Thanks.

So it's an Nvidia 970m. Updating the driver appears to have solved the problem. Hopefully it won't have screwed anything else up. Thanks all you guys for your help.

Ah_Dziz wrote:So it's an Nvidia 970m. Updating the driver appears to have solved the problem. Hopefully it won't have screwed anything else up. Thanks all you guys for your help.
Phew! That's great news. Thank you for reporting back. Let us know if you run into any other oddities.

Return to “Effects”