Keyscape is available for download now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Keyscape - Collector Keyboards

Ah shame. Worth putting in a feature request to at least be able to assign controllers.

As I think I've said here before, the biggest disappointment in the long run of Keyscape is that it's very limited with functionality. With Trilian you had most of Omni in there, so this kind of thing wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't be a problem for me personally as I'd almost certainly use it exclusively within Omni, but it's pretty poor for those wanting to use Keyscape alone. Even more inexplicably, there's no multis, so no Live mode, right? Very odd.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Maybe they will include this in an update.
For those things i also use it within Omnisphere 2 or Keyscape with a midi modifier (at least it's called so in Logic) so that i can midi learn all the buttons and re-assign it to aftertouch then. Works good (at least for a global aftertouch).

The other thing about opening them in Omnisphere that's a bit frustrating is I can't see all the fx being used to edit them - I can see some IRs but not things like modulation fx.

aMUSEd wrote:The other thing about opening them in Omnisphere that's a bit frustrating is I can't see all the fx being used to edit them - I can see some IRs but not things like modulation fx.
Not sure what you mean....it's all there. But since they using macros for Keyscape a lot things are spread and "hidden" in Omnisphere depths.
It would be great if we could get an Omnisphere update to create our own macros for everything.
And i damn love that Wing Tack Piano....what a great character it has and so much dynamic range.
I wished they had left some EP's and even the C7 out and included more of these gems.
I also totally love the Toy Pianos and the Pre-Piano.

Cinebient wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:The other thing about opening them in Omnisphere that's a bit frustrating is I can't see all the fx being used to edit them - I can see some IRs but not things like modulation fx.
Not sure what you mean....it's all there. But since they using macros for Keyscape a lot things are spread and "hidden" in Omnisphere depths.
Ah yes, found them now.

(Latest on this post - It's Saturday evening. During this whole mess one thing I forgot to report was that I had tried to authorize Keyscape within Omnisphere. Another thing was that I was given an error that I needed to "update" Keyscape to the latest version (I think there is basically an initial version and one update - which is on the Updates page on the Spectrasonics web site.

We, after simply re-installing the main installer a third time I now have what appears to be a completely working system, that is FULL and not Lite. But for whatever reason I could not run the update. Now, mind you, I did run the update on the first pass through, which had been giving me all the errors. Anyway, I get strange errors when I try to run the updates. But apparently the updates are there from my first install. This whole thing is bizarre but at least everything works and I'm loving the sounds!)

Initial Post:

"I'm suffering from an error with my Keyscape installation and it could be due to my opting for the download version. These huge vst's are always a gamble. The download completed without error. When prompted I made sure to select FULL installation (I was prompted, and chose FULL, on both the original install and on some of the Keyscape updates [program, patch library, soundsources]. But not only did I not end up with a full install, I ended up with less than half of the instruments being able to correctly load.

The hint that I did not wind up with the FULL install is that in the Omni startup screen it said "v1.0.1Lite" - which I immediately emailed Spectrasonics about, but it was last night, Friday night.

Prior to this, I had certainly done as Spectrasonics required, which is to update not only Omnisphere to the latest (and thus the Keyscape-ready) version, but to update Keyscape's exe, soundsources, and patches, one of those (I didn't write down which one in haste since I thought I could remember - but I in fact forgot :- but I'm pretty sure it was the patches update) gave an error of being unable to find a particular instrument. I re-downloaded the update, and the second time I installed it there was no error. But when I went in and re-authorized everything, I found that I had the Keyscape Lite version. I auditioned some of the grand pianos and found out how to tweak them and found them absolutely beautiful; on the level of something like the spitfire Hans Zimmer Piano. In the first seconds of loading there were a couple of sputters since my computer is basically at the bottom end in terms of requirements. I also noticed some issue with dynamics; on the default velocity curve, before selecting my keyboard, it sounds like distortion even though there is no distortion in one's DAW. Adjusting the velocity curve control in Keyscape so that I flatten the very top to something a bit under MIDI velocity 127, fixes it.

So right now I'm certainly not regretting the purchase cause that piano alone, when used in a cinematic context is fantastic for me (and I expected that since it is what Spectrasonics are known to excel at). And I can tell there are a number of other wonderful instruments in here.

I just can't load them. When I went to audition some of the other instruments and this is when I got a loading error, suggesting I refresh my browser index (there is a little refresh button on the patches browser, so I clicked it - to no avail.)

So here it is Saturday, there is no support available, and I haven't gotten a response to my emails. And when I now look at my download, which clearly came up with a "download complete" and "finish" message, with no error whatsoever, it is 71.6 GB. (which translates in some unknown way into:

76.898,255,437 actual
76,898,513,687 on disk

I wonder if someone who did this download can check this for me; I won't be hearing back from Spectrasonics any time soon I fear.

I don't regret Pianoteq really either, since I gather, and tell me if I'm wrong, that the variable sustain pedal function within Pianoteq is not at all something that these pianos could achieve based on the way they are sampled (and Pianoteq gets to model and generate their sound, so they have the upper hand with respect to this sort of realism).

I probably will re-run the installer if I don't here back from Spectrasonics this afternoon, because I'm over anxious. I've experienced the sort of difficulties with computers that many would find incomprehensible. But there is an addicting power too."

First Update:

"- Next morning (Saturday 10/08) update: Now I've gone ahead and tried to re-install a couple more times. I notice the youtube vid re problems you may face when installing keyscape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=batZaEARkiY

You can bet if one user made a video, there are probably more than 2 dozen (and maybe more than two hundred) users who have made such errors. That's a lot of time for a user to spend twiddling and/or stressing.

Truthfully it looks like part of my error is the folder-within-folder error, at least during subsequent attempts.

So I want other users to be aware.

Spectrasonics, as is common from software providers generally, OCCASIONALLY SWITCHES LANGUAGE with respect to a user's choice of folder paths.

Problems can get exacerbated BECAUSE THEY GROUP their newer program sound files (e.g. the sound files in Omnisphere, Trillian, Keyscape) into a single folder, called Steam. (Hmmm, how related is this to the gaming tool "Steam"?)

When you follow Spectrasonics software installation prompts when installing updates they always tell you to select the Steam folder in order to tell the installer the location to place new sound files. However, in contrast with this, the original installs apparently ask a user to point to the folder INTO WHICH a user WANTS the STEAM folder to reside. I can totally see why this is logical on the part of the programmers.

Spectrasonics is such a great company that I don't want to be hard on them.

But because of this flip-flop in convention, I can see why users, including myself, sometimes get it wrong. In regard to this distinction, I feel it would be proper practice for programmers generally, not just at Spectrasonics, to explicitly point out which of these two conventions is used (the location where a soon-to-be-installed or updated folder should (or already does) reside, or the folder to contain the target installed folder). I feel it is "not polite" to simply to assume a user is paying careful attention, considering the added stress on the user and programmers and support staff, all of them, if this is not totally clear.

Each time a program is asking for a choice, it would behoove a company to CAREFULLY SPELL OUT for the user the position in the hierarchy he is being asked to specify. And give an example or two.

Well, my third attempt at installation is midway. It is about a 2.5 hour install on my particular computer which is several years old. Had my error merely been the incorrect folder location, I don't see how I would have wound up with a Keyscape that partially worked on Lite mode (unless possibly the Preferences file, or some such file, was incongruous between the two modes.)

If you are a Spectrasonics rep, please don't take offense. I've purchased all 4 of your full products. My only aim is for everyone to be more satisfied with your exceptional work."
Last edited by moonchunk on Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

token validation failed
Can someone tell me what this means & the work around?
Thanks
fup4000

Token, hmm. Sounds like something generated for an offline auth.

On the other hand if you are doing an on-line authorization then i don't know.

If this is because you are attempting to do an offline authorization from your phone, it could be a few things. One may be that you are using an unsupported phone browser version.

Try Chrome.

That was the one I had most luck with - it seems easy to support. I had trouble with Firefox even though for many web related functions that typically seems like a very run-of-the-mill and easy to support code job (but with less users maybe there is less time spent supporting it). It's difficult for a software maker like Spectrasonics to support every version of every phone browser; that may be a common thing; it happened to me; not with Spectrasonics, but with another VST maker. I changed browsers, and eventually the company, IK, told me to go into work and use a desktop browser because they could not guarantee that a phone browser would work at all. Later I did get a phone browser to work with another company, but I can see why this is hard for music software companies in general.

The other thing I would try is to make sure the challenge file you are using to get to the link on their authorization page is the most recent one you've generated. Save the challenge file to a unique directory to make sure you are pointing Spectrasonics towards that one.

Thanks for the reply..
I'm just trying to get the download manager to connect to download the 80g install.
To me doing it from my Mac
fup4000

wow, 314 euros in germany, i couldnt resist cause i know how stable and non-saley Spectrasonics are!
problem is, i got a 128 GB SSD and only have 4GB left on it :D.

can i install it on my HDD? is it much slower then to load or still ok? i also load omnisphere 2 from my HDD and the speed is very good.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Keyscape + Falcon would be a dream combo these days. Not for the everyday man though, but wow what a combo that would be!

forgot, is this the full USB Drive edition, the only one? before i open it up, ahhh cannot wait :D

DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Well the clue is there on the box - "USB drive edition".

You do need to download a small installer program, and have to click the link on the drive to access it - you can't download it from your normal Spectrasonics login even if you register it first. It's a peculiar system, but seems to work.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I'm really enjoying this, especially for me being able to open in in Omnisphere and layer it with other sounds. What is also interesting for me is that I also have an almost fully loaded Pianoteq and how well the Hohner collection and CP80 in particular stack up against what is probably the best sampled version of those instruments (piano's almost - not so much the Rhodes though for me - Keyscape really has the edge there - in terms of modelled instruments the Logic EP is still the best).

It's also making me crave a JD-800 - the EP patches from that are lovely.

Thorsten Q (TD) is testing Keyscape (in german):

https://youtu.be/vmkl_KYFUSI

Return to “Instruments”