One Synth Challenge #92: Digits 2 by Extent of the Jam (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Digits

I think Beatzille has been around for a while, but the link has been hidden in the DJ Mag pages. I've had it for close to a year now.. It's fun.. Also, CM gave it away as a magware earlier, but as I've understood, that's against OSC policy..?

On that note I have a question.. What do we think about limited time freeware? Synths and effects.. I just noticed Cakewalk has their CA-2 compressor as a free plugin now. They state it's limited time only..

http://www.cakewalk.com/products/CA-2A/Free
Analogue and digital alike - inside and outside the box. All good music is done with passion and love, not religious convictions!

subject36 wrote: On that note I have a question.. What do we think about limited time freeware? Synths and effects.. I just noticed Cakewalk has their CA-2 compressor as a free plugin now. They state it's limited time only..

I would say "no", alone because of the procedure of getting it in the first place and then it defies the purpose of using FREE tools by the time they are no longer free. :shrug:
Last edited by Taron on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Its available as a free download on Beats facebook
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Here is my entry.. It uses 10 instances.. I thought at the beginning of the month that
it would not run (I had trouble with 4 instances), but now it somehow magically worked.
I dunno why.

https://soundcloud.com/antti-luode/aluode-digits

The flp file is at: (21 aluode digits.zip)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... kVvUnFPMkk

Taron wrote:
subject36 wrote: On that note I have a question.. What do we think about limited time freeware? Synths and effects.. I just noticed Cakewalk has their CA-2 compressor as a free plugin now. They state it's limited time only..

I would say "no", alone because of the procedure of getting it in the first place and then it defies the purpose of using FREE tools by the time they are no longer free. :shrug:

Yeah.. I kind of reckoned that. But it's a good download.. :)
Analogue and digital alike - inside and outside the box. All good music is done with passion and love, not religious convictions!

Well then, here's mine and this one is for you, ontrack! ;)
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/osc92-pure

"Pure Digits"
Digits instances: 33
DAW: MULab (www.mutools.com)
Internal FX:
4BandEQ, 2Band, parametricEQ, lowpass, highpass, tight room, Tea Verb, binaural, level compressor, audio gate, audio inverter
3rd Party FX:
LoudMax64, Nova67p, OTT, Auburn Sounds Panagement (free edition), space360, OrilRiver (reverb), Sanford Reverb, Voxengo SPAN

Initially, as some of you know, I started experimenting with dubstep, but it just ain't my world. Then I did a really quick doodle with the very objective not to noodle around, but then... noodle, noodle, nudge and noodle until it became the above. :shrug: :oops:

Taron wrote:Well then, here's mine and this one is for you, ontrack! ;)
Nice track T. I listened to it four times!

Well, another month, here's my submission

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/did-i-go- ... so-kvr-osc

Nuendo 2.2
11×Digits 1.3
IL Minihost Modular
Tonespace
Arto Vaarala Kirnu
BlueArp
George Yohngs W1 limter×2
Rubberfilter×4
DaTube
Baxxpander
Blockfish
Tal Tube×2
dlM sixtyfive
TAL reverb 2
Density mk ll
Nova 67p
Tila2
Ferric TDS
Magneto
TDR kotelnikov
Multianalyzer
K Meyer
UV22hr
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

ontrackp wrote:
Taron wrote:Well then, here's mine and this one is for you, ontrack! ;)
Nice track T. I listened to it four times!
HAHAHA! :lol: THANKS, mate! So...you listened to it for over 10 minutes?! :hyper: :hihi: ....hmmm... :tantrum: :lol:
Again, thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it! :hug:

Glad this month is almost over. Got to the point where anything I did was making things worse so decided to call it complete. Very noisy synth and had trouble automating some of the parameters. And even just showing (not even adjusting) an envelope for the glide would reduce the sound by about 95%.
https://soundcloud.com/user-975888547/f ... odes-osc92

Reaper 5.26 x64
21 tracks
16 x Digits2
13 x ReaEQ
13 x ReaGate
10 x GFM Psypan
3 x A1StereoControl
2 x OrilRiver
2 x TAL Filter 2
2 x TP BassLane
2 x W1 Limiter
2 x Xfer OTT
1 x Ambience, cytoSonic space360, JS:Delay w/Tempo Length, JS:Ping Pong Pan, Nova67P, ReaComp, ReaVerbate, Saturation Knob, TAL Reverb 2, TDR Kotelnikov, ThrillseekerXTC, ukm Goniometer, Voxengo SPAN, Voxengo OldSkoolVerb and Xfer Dimension Expander.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Taron wrote:Initially, as some of you know, I started experimenting with dubstep, but it just ain't my world. Then I did a really quick doodle with the very objective not to noodle around, but then... noodle, noodle, nudge and noodle until it became the above. :shrug: :oops:
It is good that you drop that dubstep thing attempt. This track is better and looks like another win for you in #92. Really nice track and and the first 14 seconds for me are faboulous. Nice sounding preset with tune that I cant get out of my head :D . Only thing that not I'm not sure if that crackling noise in that part is there on purpose to simulate kind of LP vynil noise or not. I will like it more without it :P .

Uh, Thanks, Trojak! :)
Yeah, the crackling is more meant to simulate a bad restoration of an old documentary movie, you know, like those first Disney documentaries. When I did the instrument that ended up making this part, it really didn't do what I wanted it to and was about to toss it, but then I just played some chords and a melody, just doodling around live, this came out. It really had this feel to me like those epic animal docus from back in the day. I only left the mid band, used my fancy crackle and even sidechained the sound by it to get a really old broken feel. For some odd reason it really inspired me and the rest just emerged from that. :shrug: :hyper:

I should add that after that I really went onto a yet less traveled road by myself, trying to make an almost orchestral kind of track with a rather crude synth. Last time I tried that was some 15 years ago or so, using Reason. And AFTER that I went onto a style I have NEVER made: Rock 8-) ! I've never even tried that, really, but in a way, I believe, the little snippet in my #91 piece encouraged me to give it a go. :band:

Here is my entry for this month

https://soundcloud.com/user-142714953/g ... -dig-osc92

Ableton Live
12 x Digits
1 Compressor (all effects Ableton)
2 Autofilter
1 M4L LFO
1 Gate
1 Glue Compressor
Reverb and Delay as Send/Return-Effects

Hi all, back from my trip - back's killing me, so I'll just let you have the track after my last set of mixes ...

Thanks to Z' et al - OTT has made an appearance and has proved very useful in helping to shape the dynamics of some tracks as well as an interesting "kick in the ***" for the master ...

Details as follows:

DAW: Reaper 5.27

Track Details:
22 * Digits 2
21 * ReaEQ
11 * TAL Reverb II
1 * JS bass Manager/Boost
1 * JS Tremolo
2 * OTT
2 * Twin Delay
1 * LFX-1310 autopan
1 * JS Noisegate
1 * Limiter No. 6

Master Track:
TDR VOS SlickEQ
Ferric TDS
OTT
Limiter No. 6

DR: 8

Enjoy, even if only the solo!

dB

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/tranquility-base-ii-2

Bob, you still have a few days to update your track, that's why I'm writing you here real quick with some immediate thoughts, if you don't mind?!
In the spirit of a happy sandwich, I shall start by saying that it's got a nice traditional sense to it and lively feeling. Though, it feels like band practice rather than a show, which can well be considered GREAT, but why I wouldn't let them practice in a large, empty parking garage I will get to later! :hihi: :uhuhuh:

Above all else, you should adjust down OTT's high and mid and likely dial down its depth, because it really, really pierces the heck out of the upper mid and high spectrum very badly, especially once the solo comes around, which tumbles outside the scale quite a bit, too... you might want to comb through the notes a little. But that's for later, too.

The big parking garage - or "know thy stage!":
- you have the drumset really drowned in reverb, which is mildly tragic for the snare, but a perfect catastrophe for the hihats. Everything becomes a wash, and thanks to OTT it becomes a washing cycle with sets of nails.
If you want a more dreamy atmosphere, you already have it in your sweet chord progressions and lovely melody. The instruments have the power to create that atmosphere. No need to try blurring it with massive reverb. Try to create a gentle slap back for the snare, if you have to, but be sure to take that reverb down just until you can hear it create the room and not to let the snare vanish behind it. Take the hihats completely out of the reverb, maybe give them a timed (1/16 or even 1/32) delay on any hard side, left or right, and again, that gentle enough to just let it support the room sense and not to become too obvious.

Once you have that, you already have given your instruments much more room to shine and ventured from a massive, abandoned parking structure into a decent studio. :phones:

Now, I really like the liveliness of it, though it can get on occasion a bit overboard, when it feels like the band members have just met for the first time, you know. Despite any purists ideas of greatness, I very much love quantization, especially percentage based, which will leave some of the natural offsets, but bring it rhythmically back together, you know... like the band members really know and hear each other. :band:

Back to the solo, well, the OTT really murders the sound of this one, making the unsuspecting listener rip off his headphones in a moment of panic or may even harm speakers as they were celebrating you dreamy arrangement only to be ruptured by the razor's edge of this solo. But not only does it slice the heck out of the frequency spectrum, it also slashes into the harmony with some significantly harmful notes, unless my hearing was gone by the time we got to them, haha?! So...I would just check and make sure that the leading notes are on the scale and only slurs go off it, such as pentatonic joy permits in the law of blues, jazz and the likes.

Other than that, I think you have a sweet song prepared that just needs a wee bit more TLC to become palatable in every way. :tu:

Again, I hope you don't mind me writing all this and writing it here, but I am kind of hoping that this could be useful thoughts beyond just this song. :shrug:

Cheers, and thanks for your comment on SC! :hug:

Return to “Instruments”