NewSonicArts - Freestyle ...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Freestyle

I'd rather have a recorder than autosampler - if it autosampled too that would be OK but I also just want an audio recorder.

@newsonicarts

In the newest version the new automation/parameter VST ID's are not named correctly after assigning them. Params 0-7 have the name "unassigned" until you assign the macro after which they are named after the macro, params 8-127 are just P-0X where X is the number and are not renamed at all.

Liero wrote:@newsonicarts

In the newest version the new automation/parameter VST ID's are not named correctly after assigning them. Params 0-7 have the name "unassigned" until you assign the macro after which they are named after the macro, params 8-127 are just P-0X where X is the number and are not renamed at all.
This may well be connected to my issue.

Anything assigned to a page beyond page 1 does not show the new name on Push2 screen or assign any control to be modulated.

This is on the demo. If it works fine in the full version then I'm certainly keen.

secretkillerofnames wrote:
Liero wrote:@newsonicarts

This may well be connected to my issue.

Anything assigned to a page beyond page 1 does not show the new name on Push2 screen or assign any control to be modulated.
Yes, this is most certainly the case - it's the same issue. A lot of DAW's and hardware really need the VST paramater ID name to be indicative of what the parameter does.

Regarding Macros and automation... you need to make sure that all Macros are published to be automatable. You do this in the Assignment Manager (click the Poti icon at the top of the browser). In the Assignment Manager you need to click on AUTO at the bottom to see published automation IDs. To quickly publish all pages, press 'Reset'.

Having said that not all DAW's dynamically update automation names, but I know for sure that Live does, and it is working here fine (just tested on OSX with Live 9).
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

himalaya wrote:I've suggested an auto-sampler ealier on but that suggestion went under the radar of the dev.
Rest assured I am personally reading the posts in this thread. Just don't necessarily have time to comment on all of them :)

But regarding auto-sampling and audio recording... auto-sampling is actually something planned as a Nuance feature. But of course, Nuance has special Freestyle integration, so if/when we do implement that, you would be able to easily 'freeze' any VSTi in the structure into a Nuance instance. For sure, this would be a great feature for both Nuance and Freestyle, but at the same time its not what I would consider a 'fundamentally essential feature', meaning it is not essential to reach our end goal for Freestyle. That doesn't mean its not gonna happen though (we implement such non essential features all the time).

In contrast, some kind of sampling / resampling / audio playing / recording functionality (keep it vague for now) is definitely essential to reaching our ultimate vision for Freestyle. Not necessarily a 1.x feature though, I genuinely do not know at this point in time. There are many stages as to how it could be implemented, so possibly yes, a first step might just be to have a fairly simple recorder / player module, perhaps that could be a 1.x thing.

But that is all just some insights into current thinking. Neither are currently in development. As I mentioned before, right now the major development on the way for v1.1 is the "EventPlayer" (Step Sequencer / PianoRoll) module, plus a bunch of other tweaks and enhancements. I cant promise anything at this stage, but I feel optimistic that will at least include the negative macro assignments issue. That indeed is definitely missing functionality that needs to be there sooner rather than later.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Excuse me for not reading through the whole thread, so maybe I missed it...

Does the standalone version provide MIDI parameter feedback for learned parameters / macros on snapshot recall ?

newsonicarts wrote:Regarding Macros and automation... you need to make sure that all Macros are published to be automatable. You do this in the Assignment Manager (click the Poti icon at the top of the browser). In the Assignment Manager you need to click on AUTO at the bottom to see published automation IDs. To quickly publish all pages, press 'Reset'.

Having said that not all DAW's dynamically update automation names, but I know for sure that Live does, and it is working here fine (just tested on OSX with Live 9).
Ah, this explains a lot. :)

newsonicarts wrote:Regarding Macros and automation... you need to make sure that all Macros are published to be automatable. You do this in the Assignment Manager (click the Poti icon at the top of the browser). In the Assignment Manager you need to click on AUTO at the bottom to see published automation IDs. To quickly publish all pages, press 'Reset'.

I see - thanks for your response. :tu:

No_Use wrote:Excuse me for not reading through the whole thread, so maybe I missed it...

Does the standalone version provide MIDI parameter feedback for learned parameters / macros on snapshot recall ?
Yes, you just need to make sure you have the correct output port selected in the Setup -> MIDI dialog.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Thanks.

James,

I thought I'd mention a somewhat competing product (hope you don't mind) that has one interesting feature that could work well in Freestyle as well. Nyrv Audio "Agent" (nyrvaudio.com) is a similar plugin host that has it's own dedicated Macro page, which is neat. You can freely create knobs, buttons or sliders and create a custom macro view to suit any need. So you don't have static pages of 8 knobs each, but a single page that you can just design yourself from scratch. Useful for live situations as well.

Where they fall short is that you can't really create true Macro's that control multiple parameters like in Freestyle. Freestyle also feels a lot more solid and is a lot nicer to look at.

newsonicarts wrote:Actually fair enough, the envelope icon would be an intuitive place to lead to our contact details. Will get that taken care of.
looks like it's still the same as it was (newsletter only)? besides being a bit confused with the general design of the site, it seems to have some problems when using Firefox on Windows 7. usually if i hit one of the icons nothing happens. (can check it again to give more detail if you'd like, but for sure clicking on the three bars in the upper right does nothing.) also, i'm not seeing any way to get to the 'Freestyle' page from the main page. the three older ones just keep looping.

a few questions:

- i'm having some graphics problems when loading it, which makes it useless for the moment. many of the icons are just blank squares. am i missing some sort of Windows 7 component?

- looks like there were some errors when scanning for plug-ins, but the error box popped up and disappeared so quickly that i couldn't see what it was reporting.

- at the moment there are no options for parameter modulation within 'Freestyle'? pretty much audio routing only right now? ... are audio feedback loops between devices possible at all?

- i currently own 'Granite' and 'Nuance', looking to take advantage of the e79 upgrade by the 15th. any idea what it would cost to add 'Vice' as well? upgrade price to the "Freestyle Suite"? don't think i see this option in my user area (when i can actually get into it).

thanks!

jbuonacc wrote:
- i'm having some graphics problems when loading it, which makes it useless for the moment. many of the icons are just blank squares. am i missing some sort of Windows 7 component?
If you mean plugin thumbnails for a few plugins the autoscan doesn't always create a thumbnail so it can take opening the plugin and clicking on 'update thumbnail' to get it to show the image properly.

aMUSEd wrote:
jbuonacc wrote:
If you mean plugin thumbnails for a few plugins the autoscan doesn't always create a thumbnail so it can take opening the plugin and clicking on 'update thumbnail' to get it to show the image properly.
thanks, but it's pretty much ALL the icons for the program itself. VST thumbnails are blank as well though.

i can try to post a sscreenshot later if needed.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”