RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

Astralv wrote:Right. Easy to say after you deleted all your posts- now I can not comment on how hard it was to read them. By the way- I thought you know- I am a woman. It makes difference because women in general more wordy and it takes them a while to get to the point. And I can tell that you are good at bypassing most of what we have to say- must have a lot of experience. Not saying it was anything important, but this is what we are here for- to talk about unimportant. I was disappointed that your posts disappeared- I made the popcorn.
I don't know how many times I can apologize. Maybe you'd like a pint of my blood?

Thank God my wife doesn't drive me this crazy.

** EDIT ** I see you have a Soundcloud page. Are those all originals?

Yes. Thank you for asking.

Astralv wrote:Yes. Thank you for asking.
I'm going to check them out and comment. I promise I won't be a douche.

** EDIT ** That first track was awesome. You gotta do more stuff. You haven't put up anything in a year.

I have been playing with the demo since the day one. And I have to say that Rapid is one of the best sounding softsynths available today, it's not an analogue emulation ofc, but in the "trance synth" area it's up there with Spire and almost touches Virus. Almost everything that comes from it is big, fat, lush, warm and sweet unless you abuse the "treble" control in the filter.

One thing I'm not exactly mad about are the filters, they are kinda blank and generic, i.e. they work for basic tone shaping but when making sweeps they don't sound as juicy as I want. Analog filter is better than the others but still not quite there and it is LP only. I'd love to see a set of more juicy LP/BP/HP filters added to Rapid, not necessary circuit-modelled, but with more characterful behaviour.

And that "treble" thing, it is probably good when you're after that noisy and overly bright modern EDM sound but for any other task it is to be used very carefully if at all. I don't like that it is turned halfway up in the default patch, so I always have to turn in down.

Phaser and flanger are difficult to set up right, they tend to add some nasty whistling frequences, and generally sound somehow cheap compared to other components of the synth, I'd love to see them improved in future updates.

Some questions:

Is it possible to automate or modulate the modulator assignments? If not, I'd love to see this added. E.g. I've set velocity to control the cutoff with the amount of 50 units and I want an LFO to control this figure going from 50 to 100 and back (or at least to automate this in a DAW). For some reason I didn't figure out how to do this.

The arp doesn't have velocity and slide controls? Either I'm blind (which pretty much may be) or the arp is basically useless for me.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

@Astralv:
Thank you for your detailed experience report, and since you asked, Mirko Ruta designed the sounds.
Astralv wrote:Not sure if it is the Bridge implementation, because 64 bit version goes in to background and new windows open on top of it.
Yes, bridges are developer nightmares. Not only that there are multiple DAW versions, no there are also 32 bit and 64 bit version, each with x86 and x64 bridges and other messy stuff. I would not recommend using bridges, and there are may good reasons. Performance penalty, no shared memory, GUI issues, and probably crashes. Even if the plugins works perfectly, bridges only cause problems. They should be banned.
Astralv wrote: But it feels like using Kontakt instrument- it takes about as long as loading instruments/patches in to Kontakt.
There is a tradeoff. It tooks longer to load, but it's lighter on CPU than live resampling.
Astralv wrote: If I was making the sequences, I would be focusing more on useful patterns that respond to note/chord change instead of programming entire song-obviously- nobody would release a song with demo chord progression in it.
The melody and track presets are more meant as an example. You press a key and instantly hear the use case of the preset. It's up to you to clear the midi, change the arp pattern and fiddle arround with layers. There are a few arp presets included. Use Ctrl+Right Click on the arp preset selector to quickly browse between them, so you can quickly form own arps and melodies.

@Touch The Universe:
Some very cool Psytrance & Goa stuff you post here. More of that ;D

---

@Rapid:
Someone reported a rare Ableton crash on fast layer chaning, so I fixed that.
Also it's now possible to turn off the tooltips. Yes, after a time they really get annoying.
Version 1.0.1 is now available.

I also posted a Feature Roadmap with some ideas users requested in the last days. But let me say that it takes a while, because the highest priority atm is the MacOS X release. So they will be implemented bit by bit.

---

Ave Mcree also posted a small review with sound demonstrations, for people who are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnACMiDEz0g

parawave wrote:I also posted a Feature Roadmap with some ideas users requested in the last days. But let me say that it takes a while, because the highest priority atm is the MacOS X release. So they will be implemented bit by bit.
Wow, the Feature Roadmap looks really promising, nice :)
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

recursive one wrote: The arp doesn't have velocity and slide controls? Either I'm blind (which pretty much may be) or the arp is basically useless for me.
The arp has velocity control. Select one note/step in the arp window and you can change settings below.
Slide controls not detected. I ´ve got to check if the sequencer could control the glide instead....
The average bored guy

Astralv wrote:There were paragraphs. It was typed in Microsoft Word with 2 spaces between each paragraph but KVR does not accept this formatting and does its own thing. I cant believe you skipped the middle of my post. I have read the entire 42 pages of the drama trying to find your posts that you deleted.
Not sure if you are aware but even after a post has been submitted ...Kvr has options for re-editing?
Wall of txt posts often go ignored in much the same way that full Cap posts do.

I am not convinced about your massive generalization that Women in general are more wordy and take longer to get to the point.
For example: Wags somehow managed to make the longest serialized post in the history of Kvr about how 'Rapid' desperately requires wavetable import to compete.
Shame he decided to become a history revisionist rather than stand on his word though.
pekbro wrote:Based on what I've seen of the dev's apparent inability to relate well with customers
and potential customers. I'm not even interested in demoing this product and would be
surprised if it has much future at all.
Reminds me of the way Audjoo's Helix went.
Different in that Helix started out with what appeared to be massive support from the Kvr community but soon went South when the developer announced the price and wouldn't compromise with the community thereafter.

I think a leap of faith from developers is sometimes required and a level of sympathy for those amongst us who have wallets thinner than a rizla paper.

bite_me wrote:
recursive one wrote: The arp doesn't have velocity and slide controls? Either I'm blind (which pretty much may be) or the arp is basically useless for me.
The arp has velocity control. Select one note/step in the arp window and you can change settings below.
bite_me wrote:
Slide controls not detected. I ´ve got to check if the sequencer could control the glide instead....
I guess the seqencer could control glide as it may be assigned to note pitch but this seems a bit tricky to set up together with the arp.

Feature Request:

- Wouldn´t it be nice to have a master filter where every layer could be routed through?
Just like the compressor. All 8 layers could then be treatet like one 24 osc monster. Bananous?

- Multi-out would be nice too (pre and post fx selectable)
... :hyper:
The average bored guy

bite_me wrote:Feature Request:

- Wouldn´t it be nice to have a master filter where every layer could be routed through?
Just like the compressor. All 8 layers could then be treatet like one 24 osc monster.
A big +1

@Parawave:

Please do provide some form of offline manual soon?

all fixed..
Sorry for mess
Last edited by phreaque on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solved.

Double post - delete please

Return to “Instruments”