Favorite UI - most pleasing to the eyes...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

highkoo wrote:Ok dad. :P

^^^^ The textbook definition of a toy GUI. :hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Most of the gui's i think 'look good' tend not to be practical to use.

Very basic clear designs tend to work better when using for long periods.

Maybe the real test of a good GUI is not how much you like it at first glance but how much you like it after a five hour session of patch programming.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Deja vu....?

:lol:

All over again. :P

The empty ensemble panel of Reaktor 6.

It's gray and full of potential.

Dasheesh wrote:[quote="DarkStar"
Would anyone be brave enough to extract the features / qualities that those GUIs have in common - that may be one small step towards a "GUI design for everybody". Or is that an impossible dream?

They are made for computer screens and are beautiful to work with.[/quote]

They also have to be ergonomic and usable. And direct - hidden menus or controls are a no-no.

Dasheesh wrote:
Teksonik wrote:So it seems like a lot of people prefer GUIs that look like someone ate a box of crayons, dropped acid, then vomited all over them........ :lol:

Ok fair enough. To each his own. :tu:

That would be WAVES.
Well their two synths Element 2.0 and Codex have a one page GUI (no tabs) that are actually quite nice and easy to use IMO.

Something like e.g. Renaissance EQ, H-Comp and H-Delay are also not really bad GUi wise IMO.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

.jon wrote: people who are generally adept with computers and focus on the music tend to prefer efficient, functional design over "shadows" and pixel chrome.
This a totally biased assertion. I started to mess with computers in the ZX Spectrum era. Went all along, while doing music at the same time. Yet, I can't stand those childish, bright coloured and completely flat GUIs. To me, they simply hurt. They are productiviy killers, because I can't work with something that disgusts me just for looking at it.

BTW: Symptohm is an example of something that was highly praised, but never interested me, because I could not stand looking at it.
Fernando (FMR)

In general I favor resizeable and popup layouts, because I like flexibility. Eye candy GUIs are good for few-knob-tools, but for complex plugins which need in depth editing, I prefer simple but flexible GUIs.

fmr wrote:This a totally biased assertion. I started to mess with computers in the ZX Spectrum era. Went all along, while doing music at the same time. Yet, I can't stand those childish, bright coloured and completely flat GUIs. To me, they simply hurt. They are productiviy killers, because I can't work with something that disgusts me just for looking at it.

BTW: Symptohm is an example of something that was highly praised, but never interested me, because I could not stand looking at it.
Not really even an assertion, just countertrolling Teksonik. I don't the connection he suggests exists outside jos prejudicous, little mind.

As what comes to flatness, I have the completely opposite opinion, fake 3D guis are naive and impractical- it's just bad design that serves no purpose. Of course it's easy to make a bad flat design as well, just use ugly colours, add too much contrast and skimp on antialiasing. There's tons of these around, but they are not crappy because of the design paradigm, they are crappy because the designer was incompetent.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a global standard for GUIs which all the manufacturers could use then we could all add our widget preferences :wink:

Only half-serious here (not trolling) but other industries do it - look at ARINC 661 for example. What I mean is that the manufacturer of a VST provide their own GUI components along with an XML specification. Then, if you don't like the manufacturer's GUI, add your own, possibly using a standard set of widgets which some enterprising designer creates. Yes, I know this is how some VSTs are skinned already but there is no standard set which a user could use to create a standard look across her/his desktop.

BTW I do live in cloud cuckoo land :)

u-he Presswerk and Diva look beautiful to my eyes. Especially the alternative skin for Diva.

u-he Presswerk and Diva look beautiful to my eyes. Especially the alternative skin for Diva (which unfortunately I don't have).
Spire isn't too bad either.

resynthesis wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if there was a global standard for GUIs which all the manufacturers could use then we could all add our widget preferences :wink:
No. :P For me, a GUI is a sales argument. If it doesn't work for me, i couldn't be arsed to work to make it work for me. I want to buy a soft synth, no design construction kit.

Return to “Instruments”