Is there a way to demo Uvi Falcon?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Falcon

For me Falcon is working great. I agree that it's worrying to spend this much on something that may not work, although I've not personally heard of anyone having issues. UVI support have been faultless on the 2 times I have needed them (an expired voucher and user error) and will follow up ensuring your issue is resolved.

Here also looking for a demo, since I'm not sure if my computer CPU can handle Falcon.
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

godly wrote:Here also looking for a demo, since I'm not sure if my computer CPU can handle Falcon.
That would be the last issue to think about, regarding Falcon.

Ableton Live, empty session, idle CPU 3% (laptop, quad core i7), Memory in use 2.11 GB

8x Falcons with one saw: CPU remains at 3% idle, 4% when playing a note. Live Memory with 8x Falcon: 2.13 GB
8x Avenger with one saw: CPU stays at 7% when idle and 8% when playing a note. Live Memory with 8x Avenger: 3.33 GB

I can run an entire project of 40+ Falcons (as sample player, loop player, synthesis). 32 empty Avengers bump memory use to 6 GB (32 empty Falcons have almost zero impact on memory use and idle CPU) and 22% CPU usage when idle.

Of course a single Falcon session can grow to the equivalent of dozens of Avengers (in Falcon nothing is really limited in terms of OSCS, modulations, layers) and that will seriously impact the CPU usage BUT using Falcon in a discerning manner can get you very far. Also, now many fx (Filters, distortion) can be oversampled and they will also consume CPU.

Granted, Falcon have it's share of bugs (I found them because I use it intensively, other users swear that they had not a single issue with Falcon), the UVI team released a couple of fixes in the recent weeks but that's also true for Avenger so no biggie here.

I am only buying software which I can try first on my computer to see how stable it runs and perfoms
Studio One, Logic
macOS
–– -
http://ansolas.de

You can always try the free UVI Workstation. If that runs stable on your system, so should Falcon. And it also gives you an idea of how it sounds.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:18 pm You can always try the free UVI Workstation. If that runs stable on your system, so should Falcon. And it also gives you an idea of how it sounds.
It also includes a free bank of Falcon presets to check out IIRC. That's how Falcon got on my radar in the first place.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

It really is a shame there's no demo. I simply cannot justify spending hundreds on Euros on a synth that I can't try out for myself. No amount of YouTube videos are a substitute for getting hands on with a synth imo. I'll wait until they come to their senses or I find a duffel bag full of cash :)
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:01 pm It really is a shame there's no demo. I simply cannot justify spending hundreds on Euros on a synth that I can't try out for myself. No amount of YouTube videos are a substitute for getting hands on with a synth imo. I'll wait until they come to their senses or I find a duffel bag full of cash :)
On the other hand, current promotion gives you Falcon2 at 105$/EUR less + 2 free EP + 100$/EUR to spend in UVI' shop.

I just sold some VSTs I wasn't using anyway, covering 90% of the cost :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:47 pm
PieBerger wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:01 pm It really is a shame there's no demo. I simply cannot justify spending hundreds on Euros on a synth that I can't try out for myself. No amount of YouTube videos are a substitute for getting hands on with a synth imo. I'll wait until they come to their senses or I find a duffel bag full of cash :)
On the other hand, current promotion gives you Falcon2 at 105$/EUR less + 2 free EP + 100$/EUR to spend in UVI' shop.

It's 244e, which is still too much, with no trial and no returns or even a free license transfer... It's too big a risk for me, especially after my bad experience with Omnisphere.
Always Read the Manual!

Without a demo it's too expensive for me as well...
Some preset audio files do not substitute a real demo, sorry.

Yep, I finally bought it yesterday with the update and the nice promotion going on.

I just did a pure leap of faith here----have never demoed it, have never tried it, have not watched any youtube videos of it, etc....nothing. Just reading about it's rep as a sound design powerhouse and wanting a monster like this in my arsenal, just felt like time to do it. And, not knowing anything in a weird way has me excited like I am getting a cool surprise gift or something, lol.

Looking forward to learning, learning ,learning this thing.

raiderpdog wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Yep, I finally bought it yesterday with the update and the nice promotion going on.

I just did a pure leap of faith here----have never demoed it, have never tried it, have not watched any youtube videos of it, etc....nothing. Just reading about it's rep as a sound design powerhouse and wanting a monster like this in my arsenal, just felt like time to do it. And, not knowing anything in a weird way has me excited like I am getting a cool surprise gift or something, lol.

Paying such an amount of monies will bias your judgement, just sayin'...

Yes, buying it like this could make me love it and think it is "the greatest", or could also be anti-climatic and make me think "all of that hype? for this?" So, I will keep a critical mind and be open to pros/cons. Sampletank4 almost drove me to drink last year with its bad launch, but now that it is fixed I love it.

but, truthfully I am a pretty tolerant guy with my synths, I don't really hate any of them, lol.

raiderpdog wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:17 pm

You're braver than I am. Hope it works out for you :)
Always Read the Manual!

Calenberger wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:19 pmPaying such an amount of monies will bias your judgement, just sayin'...
That's one way to look at it. The other is he'll dive much deeper in it and dedicate more time to knowing it because it was expensive. I know I have so many other synths already that I probably (definitely...) don't need Falcon, but most of them I got 2nd hand & cheap which is why in most cases I've not ventured out from just trying/using patches...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Instruments”