Elektron: Machinedrum & MonoMachine discontinued...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheoM wrote:I am willing to pay 599 + ship for a machinedrum and 799 for a monomachine..

FWIW I'm getting €699 & €899 in the EU

ere2learn wrote:
TheoM wrote:I am willing to pay 599 + ship for a machinedrum and 799 for a monomachine..

FWIW I'm getting €699 & €899 in the EU

wow interesting. Is the monomachine out of stock there too? wow 899 euro to 799 USD is a big difference. thanks for reporting..

jrr is also reporting the elektron prices which is making me think EU is also being punished like australia, yet elektron is EU company? I'm confused.

Yeah seems the MonoMachine is out of stock

so it really is just a price penalty.. weird.. ok thanks!

I guess I will try find a US dealer or buyer then.

Very much appreciated.

TheoM wrote:so it really is just a price penalty.. weird.. ok thanks!

Very much appreciated.
EU and UK pay VAT at 20% ... does Australia have import tarriffs or sales taxes mebbe?

thecontrolcentre wrote:
TheoM wrote:so it really is just a price penalty.. weird.. ok thanks!

Very much appreciated.
EU and UK pay VAT at 20% ... does Australia have import tarriffs or sales taxes mebbe?
no, on OS imports, not at all up to 1,000 AUD..then 10% per import.

Yep that explains the EU price! Thanks! Phew...

Yeah so if i get an EU person to buy it, they WOULD have to pau EU price, so i'd cop the penalty too.. So will give it a miss.

Right now, i am enjoying electribe EMX videos and the new electribe 2 of which there are tons of vids and I can get one for 600+ish AUD.. much better price.. and they look fugly and plasticky, but apparently are indeed built of steel.

I think i'll just get an electribe 2 for drums, save money, and not worry about the elektronMD. Eventually i might get an analog rytm just to have a nice analog drum module but that can happen a ways away.

I'm reinvestigating the yamaha fs1r for fm and formant, and for chip tune, well, that's a bummer, as the monomachine virtual emulation sounded convincing, and unlike the sidstation, is 6 voices. I have something saved in my watch list which was a highly respected DIY build sid synth, and has 6 voices i think (2 chips), so will probably grab it.. have to go see if it's still there...That said, i really am more bummed about monomachine than drum cause it covered so many synth angles I am interested in. To get the same sort of thing in multiple units will cost 3x as much lol.

i've scored at the usual US price, a mint brand new MD will be mine by end July (being realistic about lead and ship time :)) No rush, kust great to know I got it.

So thanks everyone for looking.

Now just deciding on the monomachine.. and i had just convinced myself to buy an electribe for drums LOL, but, now i am back to elektron LOL. I like the idea that MD is really aimed at drums and drums, where as electribe is drum samples plus synthesis aimed at everything, like an all in one VA, of which i have too many:) Except of course for an akai miniak, which just sounds too good not to have some day :hihi:

congrats on securing yourself a new unit.

that thing you said about australia not charging customs on imports under $1,000 is really great.... that's a lot of hardware you can buy from USA. Unfortunately we get shafted pretty badly here in the EU, imo. And yes I've heard all the 'oh, but your taxes pay for...' arguments and it doesn't make the sting any more pallatable :hihi:

monomachine is also great... but it's more about the sum of its parts. the user interface experience, the integration of the sequencer with the synths & fx params. .... it is no replacement for a dedicated fm instrument, a dedicated sid instrument, a dedicated wavetable synth, dedicated fx unit, etc - there's only 8 params max dedicated to each synthesis type, the rest of the pages are for general stuff that are universal to all other synth types, like amp settings, filter settings, effects settings, lfos. and that's not 8 macros that you choose from a list of 'internal' params ... no ... that is literally just 8 params available to you max, in total, for each synthesis type.

so, I really, really would discourage you from looking at it in terms of 'this is a cheap way to get access to various synthesis methods i want for my setup' .... because you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment if that's what you are thinking, as far as I'm concerned.

i decided to get a real sid.. a sammich sid which has 2 real sids i.e 6 voices.. that's awesome. The youtube demos are amazing.

Will get a tx81z to satisfy fm for now, they are peanuts, less than many soft synths.

And will look into ppg phonem for formant synthesis.

But i'll get the machinedrum for sure..

i really screwed up not getting the EU fs1r on ebay.. not only was it mint, but cheaper than every single other one currently there. The seller offered it to me for 740 euro then ended up getting his asking 829 for it. To buy a US one, i'd have to buy a step down converter. Meh.

I am sure combining the phonem with my current hardware synths, i will be able to get stunning vocal textures that will cost me 1/8th of the FS1R. I really do like the vocal synthesis in the monomachine though.. i found what i thought were some very funky demos.. right up my alley.

:)

TheoM wrote:i decided to get a real sid.. a sammich sid which has 2 real sids i.e 6 voices.. that's awesome. The youtube demos are amazing.

Will get a tx81z to satisfy fm for now, they are peanuts, less than many soft synths.

And will look into ppg phonem for formant synthesis.
given the criteria, that is a much wiser choice than getting a mnm.
TheoM wrote:I really do like the vocal synthesis in the monomachine though.. i found what i thought were some very funky demos.. right up my alley.

:)
again, the vocal synthesis was the biggest disappointment of the monomachine for me... particularly because, like you, i was hearing great demos of it. I didn't even expect to be able to make it sing/say intelligible things... I had low expectations in that respect, just wanted to make pleasant sounds with it. But it is a pig to play/program IMO, so I nearly always end up reverting to another synth machine. My opinion will probably change at some point when i master it though.

Kind of weird that Future Music still list Machinedrum on their Essential gear-to-get guide list.

Have they not got the message that it is discontinued? If they gonna include "unavailable" stuff like that, why not put Roland TR-909 on the list as well

Numanoid wrote:If they gonna include "unavailable" stuff like that, why not put Roland TR-909 on the list as well

perhaps because value for money & viable alternatives.

it's hard to recommend spending approximately 4k on a 909 (with all the repair/service implications that come with it) when there are so many alternatives for approximately 10% of that price.

there aren't really alternatives to the md/mnm that offer the sum of their parts, getting one at used prices still represents value for money, and you can still get them serviced by elektron themselves.

obviously ?

you could always email future music themselves and demand answers.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”