Voxengo Marquis Compressor 2 universal compressor plugin released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Marquis Compressor

One more request please to Aleksey which would make this compressor simply perfect: DRY/WET mix :):):) pleeease :)

jantex wrote:One more request please to Aleksey which would make this compressor simply perfect: DRY/WET mix :):):) pleeease :)
Dry/wet mix control in compressors is over-rated and redundant. From math point of view, the Knee control is equivalent to dry/wet mix control. E.g. Ratio of 4:1 with dry/mix 50% is virtually the same as Ratio of 2:1 in the first place.
Last edited by Aleksey Vaneev on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
jantex wrote:One more request please to Aleksey which would make this compressor simply perfect: DRY/WET mix :):):) pleeease :)
Dry/wet mix control in compressors is over-rated and redundant. From math point of view, the Knee control is equivalent to dry/wet mix control. E.g. Knee of 4:1 with dry/mix 50% is virtually the same as Knee of 2:1 in the first place.
That's now how math works

.jon wrote:
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
Dry/wet mix control in compressors is over-rated and redundant. From math point of view, the Knee control is equivalent to dry/wet mix control. E.g. Ratio of 4:1 with dry/mix 50% is virtually the same as Ratio of 2:1 in the first place.
That's now how math works
Well, yes. For example, at Ratio 4:1 compressor reaches gain factor of 0.5. If you apply wet/dry mix of 50% to it, it effectively becomes gain factor 0.75. At the same time at Ratio 2:1 the gain factor will be 0.75 in the first place.

I do not say the result is bit-to-bit identical (attack/release curves may be slightly different), but as long as gain factor is considered, it is equivalent.
Last edited by Aleksey Vaneev on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Maybe you don't understand what wet/dry mix means?

.jon wrote:Maybe you don't understand what wet/dry mix means?
out=comp*(1-drymix)+in*(drymix), drymix in the range 0 to 1.

The dry/wet mix control may be very useful if compressor offers only discrete Ratio values like 2:1,4:1,10:1. But if compressor's Ratio is arbitrary like in Marquis Compressor, the dry/wet control is not as useful. There is difference in curves when dry/wet is adjusted in comparison to Ratio adjustments, but this difference is of "coloration" type.

Sorry, you were actually just using "knee" when talking about compression ratio, just a typo I guess.

Anyway, we agree that wet/dry isn't the same in either knee or ratio case. I think a dry/mix control therefore adds to versatility of a compressor.

.jon wrote:Sorry, you were actually just using "knee" when talking about compression ratio, just a typo I guess.

Anyway, we agree that wet/dry isn't the same in either knee or ratio case. I think a dry/mix control therefore adds to versatility of a compressor.
Yes, sorry, I've mixed up words Knee and Ratio. I was talking about Ratio.

Dry/mix does add versatility, but in my opinion it also adds a bit of complexity since dry/mix also acts as a kind of non-linear "limitation" to the compression gain factor. For example, if gain factor reaches a considerable value of 0.1, with dry/mix at 50% the gain factor will turn into moderate 0.55. I myself perceive this as quite counter-intuitive.

.jon wrote:Maybe you don't understand what wet/dry mix means?
No need to be snarky pal. You're talking to someone who's been making compressor plugins for years. Of course he knows what he's talking about.

You can use your DAW to set up any parallel compression. For any other cases as an insert careful usage of your compression settings will do the trick.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
.jon wrote:Sorry, you were actually just using "knee" when talking about compression ratio, just a typo I guess.

Yes, sorry, I've mixed up words Knee and Ratio. I was talking about Ratio.

Dry/mix does add versatility, but in my opinion it also adds a bit of complexity since dry/mix also acts as a kind of non-linear "limitation" to the compression gain factor. For example, if gain factor reaches a considerable value of 0.1, with dry/mix at 50% the gain factor will turn into moderate 0.55. I myself perceive this as quite counter-intuitive.

But to be honest, I really don't consider Mix control to be any serious complexity for the user. I bought Marquis Compressor and it is great, but I could definitely see it being my bread and butter comp for everything if it included this missing feature, that's why I have a request for one :)

lol at .jon you have no idea how outgunned you are do you? :lol:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I think a wet/dry control is actually the opposite of "complexity". It's something that makes compressors really intuitive and easy to use for a lot of users. Tweaking it aggressively to sound the way you want it, then blending it in.

I suspect this is the reason why wet/dry controls are so popular right now.

Technically there are no huge differences in tweaking the ratio but it's worth mentioning that the transfer function is not entirely the same. There are bound to be a few changes as seen from the math.. however these differences are not large.. which is why I stand by my original point. It's just a very intuitive way of working.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

ATS wrote:lol at .jon you have no idea how outgunned you are do you? :lol:
Then again, I really wasn't, (knee isn't the same as dry/wet in any maths, and neither are ratio and dry/wet) but even a simple thing like this seems to be completely above your capacity.

I apologize to Aleksey for being so snarky though, that was unnecessary.
The dry/wet would probably work better separate from the compressor's input gain control.

Yes I know this can be done via a parallel chain, but having it in the plugin is just easier and faster when you need it.

Anyway, back to demoing Marquis and Crunchessor! (My current DAW, Live, makes setting up parallel chains trivial)

bmanic wrote:I think a wet/dry control is actually the opposite of "complexity". It's something that makes compressors really intuitive and easy to use for a lot of users. Tweaking it aggressively to sound the way you want it, then blending it in.

I suspect this is the reason why wet/dry controls are so popular right now.

Technically there are no huge differences in tweaking the ratio but it's worth mentioning that the transfer function is not entirely the same. There are bound to be a few changes as seen from the math.. however these differences are not large.. which is why I stand by my original point. It's just a very intuitive way of working.

Cheers!
bManic
I agree 100%. :tu: Hope Aleksey might listen to us and implement such a simple feature that he finds overrated while I find it very intuitive on the other hand.

The lack of dry/wet control is the reason why I did not purchase this plugin. So +1 for this feature request.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Return to “Effects”