Soft synths that really sound 'alive'

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well wouldn't know about that! Seriously though, I do hope the decades spent sweating at the dojo and dancing halls could actually help me controlling this particular type of precise body movement. This background is also the reason why I find this gadget so exciting, the body-music connection is very limited when I just sit alone and fiddle with small plastic knobs.

Anyway, even without trying, I'm sure I'll be a better leapmotionist than a guitarist :lol:

Oh one more video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8AxhbCL-rM

This guy takes it one step further and plays the computer via hand gestures instead of just controlling instrument parameters. Awesome!

Wavemapper!

As said before Aalto, Spire, the upcoming Vengeance.

And for me the best sounding virtual analog : Pulsar P900 modular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0727NzA0gws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ATampDCwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS2FIoqJ5wI

shroom81 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote: Not until they sort the crippled patch management that makes it a pain to use in some hosts if you want to be able to share patches between them.
Get out of the stone age and get Ableton Live 8) and whats wrong with saving fxp?
I have Live so what? The problem with FXP is only some hosts can load or save in it (eg Logic and Bitwig can't) so if like me you don't just use one host you are screwed - it's Softube that need to get out of the stone age and realise being able to rely on the host to manage plugin presets is a thing of the past.

went to look at that P900 modular, which I had never heard about before now, and looks mighty epic... mac only! wtf! I have not boo'd at my monitor like this in a long time!

Also Au only, which is a bit of a pain at times.

acYm wrote:went to look at that P900 modular, which I had never heard about before now, and looks mighty epic... mac only! wtf! I have not boo'd at my monitor like this in a long time!
Ikr ? ;)
The port to VSTi should start soon.

Synths are fairly one dimensional, in both implementation and sound. There's many techniques to get them sounding more complex and "real". My personal opinion is that it would be better to go "into" the synth to get more complex sound, rather than chasing it around "after".

Oh, and for the record, a good way to inject some oomph and warmth to *any* synth is to use leveling amplifier like VOS ThrillseekerLA or Klanghelm MJUCJr (or both, for a super fat sound) followed by your favorite limiter, like Limiter n°6 for instance.
Last edited by lolilol1975 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

camsr wrote:Synths are fairly one dimensional, in both implementation and sound. There's many techniques to get them sounding more complex and "real". My personal opinion is that it would be better to go "into" the synth to get more complex sound, rather than chasing it around "after".
There's some synths you just can't get "alive" sounds out of, no matter what you do, i'm afraid.

acYm wrote:went to look at that P900 modular, which I had never heard about before now, and looks mighty epic... mac only! wtf! I have not boo'd at my monitor like this in a long time!
Oh yes, it looks great. Could i create maybe a Model 15 with this as AU.
I hope there is a demo....looks nice.

camsr wrote:My personal opinion is that it would be better to go "into" the synth to get more complex sound, rather than chasing it around "after".
+1
Randomly automating some parameters for example.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

camsr wrote:Synths are fairly one dimensional, in both implementation and sound. There's many techniques to get them sounding more complex and "real". My personal opinion is that it would be better to go "into" the synth to get more complex sound, rather than chasing it around "after".
True. Velocity and key follow linked (via envelopes even) linked to several parameters go a long way, as well as subtle LFOs.

One lively thing I've found I like is feedback, Prism and Sinnah are examples of synths that get nice extra character from internal feedback routing.

.jon wrote:
True. Velocity and key follow linked (via envelopes even) linked to several parameters go a long way, as well as subtle LFOs.

One lively thing I've found I like is feedback, Prism and Sinnah are examples of synths that get nice extra character from internal feedback routing.
Yep....Prism is fantastic. I´m often amazed what timbres i can get out of it. So underrated.

Return to “Instruments”