Moselle: Software Modular Synthesizer

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Moselle

Moselle Stand-Alone IDE Alpha release #7 now available--free.

Find out more, and get the free download, at http://www.moselle-synth.com .

This release contains the fabulous "Swarm" module to the Moselle module line-up, and improves performance across the board.

Swarm simply does anywhere from 1 to an insane number of sawtooths, square waves, or triangle waves at once. How insane? 7? 70? 700? Watch the video to find out, then try out the free download.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbCqdmUbAo4

That's quite impressive! Currently waiting for Avast virus center to check the file.

I'd love to hear all your thoughts, good and especially bad things. What I'd say is:

-- if you read the full overview on the website, you'll know exactly what you're getting, I think. There is nothing else much like it on the planet, except maybe the old MIT system CSound (which I don't think is as easy for a non-programmer to program as Moselle is.)

-- sorry but you have to install it in the directory the instructions give!

-- just start working through the Tutorial patches from 0000_Introduction and you should learn every single feature. It can do a pretty infinite amount of things so even I am still learning its capabilities day to day.

No relation to Swiss Toni, by any chance?

"Playing with modular synths is very much like making love to a women..."

Bookmarking this one for when I have more time!

I gave Moselle a try and now I have some feedback.I hope you can take it the right way as it's meant to be constructive.:

1. This synth can't be run from anywhere else than C:\Moselle ??? I would rather keep my C:\ organized than have folders like this there. You should at least consider changing this behavior. I don't currently own any other synth that does this (neither free or payware).

2. I don't see any way how to choose what audio driver Moselle will be using (eg. whatever ASIO driver or samplerate the user wants). I don't know what it's using on my system to output audio, but to be honest the whole thing is useless because the sound is stuttering very badly even when playing a single note. Unfortunately I cannot say anything about the sound because the synth is not working properly on my system. I can select a midi input and the green midi light will lit but that's about it.

Same here, couldn't dive into it either due to the audio interface selection missing. It also turns MIDI notes into a one-note arpeggio.

Hi Filter303:

Many thanks and of course, I love the constructive feedback! I'm desperate for this type of quality feedback! I only hope my answers ultimately help and that you actually find some use for the software!

1) C:\Moselle ... the main reason I did this was to simplify support so that I could tell people what exact directory to look in. I TOTALLY agree with your point and I've heard the same complaint from others, so I'll make the next version able to run from anywhere. So I've got a question for you in turn: Moselle has binaries, "factory" patches, "user" patches, and log and edit-history files. Is it cool with you if those are all sibling directories still? I'm actually a hard-core Unix programmer where we'd put those different things on different file systems, but then installation and support gets far more complex.

2) Moselle currently uses the waveOutOpen() API, which doesn't seem to have a way to specify drivers etc. This is not a good API. It has been totally replaced at least once. Rather than re-write the stand-alone IDE to use the newer APIs, I thought I should prioritize some other projects first (stereo, better performance, DAW integration). But I'm happy to change priorities if you think I need to improve audio selection etc. first.

3) The sample rate etc. is in the file C:\Moselle\config\Interpreter.moselle . It's just an INI-format file you can edit with WordPad or what have you. FreqEval is the sample frequency (44100 or whatever).

The stuttering you hear is a performance issue. Moselle is still a CPU hog. It is an "interpreted" language, meaning basically, slow. I'm working on a "compiler" which will be far faster, once I'm finished stereo support which I'm coding now. My suggestion is first try doubling BufferSamples in this config file, and restart. If it still stutters, change 44100 to 22050, and restart. (This will lose the top octave of human hearing, but I've learned that this is more theoretical than practical; this doesn't really sacrifice enough fidelity that you'd normally notice in the context of real-world sounds.)

By the way, could you share your computer's CPU specs so I can understand where Moselle is and isn't working? If you right-click "My Computer" and select Properties, you should see system info like the following. Here's the critical info, from development system: i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1, 32-bit.
Last edited by Swiss Frank on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

.jon wrote:Same here, couldn't dive into it either due to the audio interface selection missing. It also turns MIDI notes into a one-note arpeggio.
Hi .Jon,

1) Audio interface: I believe the sound should be coming out whatever your default output interface is. Is that happening? If so are you able to play with the software like that, or should choice of output channel actually be a higher development priority than my other projects (stereo, big performance improvements?)

2) MIDI: What MIDI controller are you using? Are you able to try any other one? I test with a Roland Cakewalk A-300Pro btw, a pretty modern unit. I know that my earlier releases didn't work with DX-7's (which report NoteOff using NoteOn with Velocity 0); I've made a change that should have fixed that but haven't had a chance to verify that it is now working. Even then, it's not an "arpeggio" effect, it just holds one note.

Also is the "arpeggio" even-timed, or is it sort of random stuttering? If the later, then it's a performance problem. If you have time could you try the steps detailed in step 3 of my previous long post?
Last edited by Swiss Frank on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

> Bookmarking this one for when I have more time!

Thanks Pandashake! This is your chance to use a totally new kind of tool, and to see your feedback shape the direction of development. I hope to answer every question, act on every suggestion, and address every problem reported.

Frank

Swiss Frank wrote:
Hi .Jon,

1) Audio interface: I believe the sound should be coming out whatever your default output interface is. Is that happening? If so are you able to play with the software like that, or should choice of output channel actually be a higher development priority than my other projects (stereo, big performance improvements?)
Oh yes, I do get sound. I actually meant the driver, my interface has poor performance with anything else than it's own ASIO driver.
2) MIDI: What MIDI controller are you using? Are you able to try any other one? I test with a Roland Cakewalk A-300Pro btw, a pretty modern unit. I know that my earlier releases didn't work with DX-7's (which report NoteOff using NoteOn with Velocity 0); I've made a change that should have fixed that but haven't had a chance to verify that it is now working. Even then, it's not an "arpeggio" effect, it just holds one note.

Also is the "arpeggio" even-timed, or is it sort of random stuttering? If the later, then it's a performance problem. If you have time could you try the steps detailed in step 3 of my previous long post?
I tested this with my small generic USB MIDI controller by Miditech. It's even timed, just turns a continuous key press into sequence of the note, piiiiiiiiiip > pip pip pip pip, like a pattern arp does without a pattern defined and only one note pressed.

i5 2500 @ 3.3GHz, W10x64, 16Gb, SSD drives, M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

Thanks .jon.

My best guess is performance problems.

The sample rate etc. is in the file C:\Moselle\config\Interpreter.moselle . It's just an INI-format file you can edit with WordPad or what have you. FreqEval is the sample frequency. Why not turn that to 22050 (half-speed), restart Moselle, and see if the problem persists? If so, could you then try doubling BufferSamples and again restarting and see if the problem persists?

Frank

I'll check a version closer to beta, cheers!

I really liked that pitch bending in key video. Sounded great.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

.jon wrote:I'll check a version closer to beta, cheers!
Thanks .jon, but it's not going to get closer to beta unless I get a bit of help with the alpha 8-)

Thanks for taking a look though and I'll do all I can to support if you have time to take another look...

Return to “Modular Synthesis”