MODO BASS: Get ready for a new level of realism (1.5 update available now)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO BASS 1

I'd get this if it supported MPE. A good modeled string instrument these days really has to be able to be able to be controlled by the best instruments available to mimic the strings behavior, like the seaboard and linnstrument.

Otherwise I'd rather duplicate kontakt instruments within a multi to use with MPE.

While your feature request has certainly been relayed, note that MODO BASS can most certainly be controlled via a normal MIDI controller with pitch and mod wheels. The keyswitches are also very easy to access, but you can certainly get a very realistic track with pitch bend and mod wheel .

Another cool way to get VERY realistic performance on a more cost-effective controller (which many users will be using) is, for example, to assign the DATA knob on an iRig Keys controller to control the left hand position parameter so that you can control exactly where the right hand is playing realtime.
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmontano wrote:IK would need to support MPE. Not sure how easy that would be when the engine wasnt built for it.

I have a linnstrument and agree it would be great for expressiveness. Not sure if IK could realistically implement it.
why not?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I've studied IK's web pages and looked closely at the GUI pics (and have also read the last 8 pages of this thread) and didn't see anything about these issues, SO PETER PLEASE LET US KNOW —

Slides?
Does Modo have a slide up/down articulation? I'm hoping it can do so when you, e.g., press a sustain pedal, as some other bass libraries do.

Auto hammer on/pull off?
I do see in the GUI pic for keyswitches Hammer On and Pull Off, but it's not clear how these work. How do these work? What exactly do they do, and how?

And also, does Modo have an auto hammer on/pull off function, which gets triggered when playing legato with a specified time overlap (as some other bass libraries do)?

No fretless?
There's no fretless bass shown in IK's web pages for Modo. Please confirm there's no fretless now. Please also let us know if this is now in the works for an update to add a fretless, and if so, the approximate date when that will be released.

No Repeat Last Note Keyswitch?
Didn't see anything about this in IK's web pages for Modo — Does it have a last note played repeat key? This is crucial in playing fast notes lines. The way this works in other bass libraries is that when you press the repeat-last-note-played keyswitch, it does just that — so you hit the note you want with your right hand and then quickly hit this repeat-last-note-played keyswitch with your left hand and it does just that -- this gives you fast repeated notes you just can't get hitting the same key again quickly with your right (playing) hand on the keyboard.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:you can control exactly where the left hand is playing realtime.
Being only a very very distant cousin to McCartney...

When the user manual will be ready it would be nice if you could post the link here.

I suppose for bass, the mpe individual nite vibrato is less important than say, a guitar, but assuming more of these modeled instruments are coming, I do hope it's on their radar.

I second the question about repeating the last played note. I like when there is a single key that repeats the last played note in Kontakt basses. This is something I don't live about trilian basses. You have to play the same notes far apart on the keyboard where all notes are duplicated.

Also, the cpu usage looks insane in that logic video. Not many tracks and the meter looks maxed out. Is this thing super cpu intensive?

dbender wrote:I've studied IK's web pages and looked closely at the GUI pics (and have also read the last 8 pages of this thread) and didn't see anything about these issues, SO PETER PLEASE LET US KNOW —

Slides?
Does Modo have a slide up/down articulation? I'm hoping it can do so when you, e.g., press a sustain pedal, as some other bass libraries do.

Auto hammer on/pull off?
I do see in the GUI pic for keyswitches Hammer On and Pull Off, but it's not clear how these work. How do these work? What exactly do they do, and how?

And also, does Modo have an auto hammer on/pull off function, which gets triggered when playing legato with a specified time overlap (as some other bass libraries do)?

No fretless?
There's no fretless bass shown in IK's web pages for Modo. Please confirm there's no fretless now. Please also let us know if this is now in the works for an update to add a fretless, and if so, the approximate date when that will be released.

No Repeat Last Note Keyswitch?
Didn't see anything about this in IK's web pages for Modo — Does it have a last note played repeat key? This is crucial in playing fast notes lines. The way this works in other bass libraries is that when you press the repeat-last-note-played keyswitch, it does just that — so you hit the note you want with your right hand and then quickly hit this repeat-last-note-played keyswitch with your left hand and it does just that -- this gives you fast repeated notes you just can't get hitting the same key again quickly with your right (playing) hand on the keyboard.
You can control the slide range and slide noise (and there's a legato slide function), and you use pitch wheel to control your slides, not sustain pedal. I have requested this be covered in future demos.

Hammer on/pull off is controlled by a keyswitch. Fairly simple - press the keyswitch key and play a note, then play another note while the first is held (like you would with a portamento technique with an applicable synth patch) and repeat as necessary. I don't believe there's auto hammer on/pull off but I'll request that if I am correct that it is not there.

There is no fretless at this time, no. You can approximate but there is no full-on fretless model. It has been logged as a feature request.

There is no repeat last note keyswitch, I will relay that as a request too.

glokraw wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:you can control exactly where the left hand is playing realtime.
Being only a very very distant cousin to McCartney...
Wow my mind was in southpaw mode and didn't even catch that! I've fixed it :)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Also, the cpu usage looks insane in that logic video. Not many tracks and the meter looks maxed out. Is this thing super cpu intensive?
There were other factors influencing that, MODO BASS is not CPU intensive (roughly equivalent to current sample-based instruments on the market).

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: There is no repeat last note keyswitch, I will relay that as a request too.
This is huge. There's no other way to play quick successive notes.
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Also, the cpu usage looks insane in that logic video. Not many tracks and the meter looks maxed out. Is this thing super cpu intensive?
There were other factors influencing that, MODO BASS is not CPU intensive (roughly equivalent to current sample-based instruments on the market).
That's good news, thanks!

While fretless guitars/basses are definitely interesting, I think a "tuned"/fretted bass makes more sense on the long run. I mean, let's be serious here. We press a C on the keyboard we expect a C on the bass. A fretless bass is "oh wait... I'm a little bit out of tune". So unless you have "random tuning" as feature that you can pull into the extremes, I don't see a need for a fretless bass.

Then again... this might come at a later state for "MODO Bass Beta" or something, where we can get a Steinberger, an Upright, Broomstick, Chapman Stick, etc. At least I hope so.

I'd also add to the people that want an "auto hammer on/pull off" (or auto HOPO in short) feature. This adds so much life for guitar VSTi and samples.

Slides would be great if you can trigger them from note to note, and at will of course.

@Peter:
Could I please get an update on my last PM? Thanks for the efforts.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:There is no repeat last note keyswitch, I will relay that as a request too.
Huge oversight. One keyswitch for Upstroke, another keyswitch for Downstroke and I wouldn't recommend a 1.0 release before it gets implemented.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:There is no repeat last note keyswitch, I will relay that as a request too.
Huge oversight. One keyswitch for Upstroke, another keyswitch for Downstroke and I wouldn't recommend a 1.0 release before it gets implemented.
This doesn't make it difficult at all to get a realistic performance, though I do appreciate and will relay the suggestion.

Compyfox wrote: @Peter:
Could I please get an update on my last PM? Thanks for the efforts.
I've replied. Thanks.

Return to “Instruments”