Dynamic Equalizers, how many are out there and which do you use?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

While I cannot really confirm your impression, that TDR Nova acts "laggy", I would recommend you to use a transient shaper for your scenario, specifically a multiband transient shaper, instead. Try LVC Audio's Transector or the small version of it (no multiband, but still powerfull) Transector CM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEudoZYunwg

You could also use a modular plugin like VSTForx or Minihost Modular within your DAW, split the signal into multiple bands and put a standard wideband transient shaper on the specific band that you want to process...

camsr wrote:I don't think there are any dynEQ plugins that envelope fast enough to distort (maybe mDynEQ does), you may be out of luck OP.
The Brainworx bx_dynEQ can react very quickly and did spawn the bx_boom plugin that is purely for beefing up kick drums but it's not clear to me that the OP wants this one does.

I have no idea how many there are, but I use the Melda one most of the time. I honestly use it for most of my eq needs period. It's clean easy to use and has amazing visualization if you are having trouble finding trouble spots. It also has the extremely useful harmonic mode.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

All right guys,

Thank you all again for your replies.

Let me answer you all globally. Definitely the best option for getting punch in the low end of drumbass is a multiband transient shaper, which I already have. The only thing I want is to tune it a bit more, I mean, get more control over the dynamics of some frequencies. Some of you are right that the best option is to go to the synthesis part but changing dynamically the spectrum is sometimes the easiest way.
Let me insist you all that I might not be using the most accurate word: "Punch". I want impulsive/explosive bass frecuencies, not boomy enhancements. Let me say too where I have got the best results (in order of preference so far):

Izotope Neutron (eq): I can get very harsh explosive bass just where I want but I would like more precise control over dynamic behaviour (attack, release etc). It induces latency.

Izotope Neutron (trasnient): Very good results, nicely tamed but not enough controls (missing a gain stage for each band) and not as precise in terms of frequency as the eq part.

Waves Trans-X multiband: Explosive bass but a bit boomy (you control all the bass together). Induces latency.

C1 compressor: In band mode: Quite punchy behaviour for a non-controlable knee. Very good results too but missing precision in frequency.

These are so far the options I like for the job even tho I've tried many. Still looking for the perfect dynamic eq for mangling bass sounds :D Still have to try Melda!
Gamma-UT wrote:Based on what the OP doesn't like and from what I can make out of what's wanted - I have to ask: why a dynamic EQ for this job? I'm getting the feeling that a de-esser is probably going to be more successful at doing the job - DMG Essence, the Sonnox one or even the venerable Waves C1 in split-comp mode, all of which can be coaxed into duties that aren't about de-essing.
You're right with that, I have already tried it and works fine. The trouble is, just one band at a time! And not much graphical and precise control over it.

If you want a punchier kick,control how long your hold stage is (dampened acoustic kick for example)or the length and depth of your pitch envelope(synthetic).you aren't gonna find what you are looking for because i don't think changes in an EQ (despite it having an envelope or not)are close enough to audiorate in order for it to produce transients in frequencies especially that low.EQ works like a delay don't forget and the taps get longer the lower the frequency is,there's no way getting around that unless you do weird things to the impulse of the filter itself where you compromise attenuation and magnitude for phase accuracy and speed.also it would be better if you just worked to make that punch come through above other elements when it needs to and for how long it needs to aka you can't do that with a Dynamic EQ if we are talking like an exponential cutoffs for e.g 5-10ms at 200-100hz
These are all arrangement and sample/sound design dependent things too,not stuff i would rely on mixing or processing for.for example,10ms at 100hz could sound punchy in one arrangement,and flabby in another
All this being said,TB FIX is the quickest i have come across,but it's still not drum transient "quick"
I'm not sure I understood what you mean about 5-10ms at 200-100hz, do you mean the delay eq implies? Thats what I guess from the numbers haha. I know eq works like a form of delay, that is why I said earlier that I could get better results with plugins that induce latency (they might be capable of phase alligning back frecuencies to retain the punch.
bmanic wrote:
J-909 wrote: Thanks for your answer. I don't agree with the fact that you cannot get punch on a narrow band of the spectrum, you absolutely can.
Example please.
As I said, maybe punch is not the word, I mean explosive appearance (sonically). Its envelope shoul be as square-ish ass possible in coherence with the rest of the sounds, maybe is just a matter of impression with regards to the rest of the elements of the mix but for some reason I can get it with some plugins and not wit others.

Thanks everyone for your points of view! :tu: :tu:

What is the specific sound you're after? Funny, a few years ago I posted also asking for dynamic EQ for use on kickdrum(for fat kicks.. and no, it wasn't the right tool.. in my case), I don't know what you're trying to achieve but are you sure a Dynamic EQ is what you need, or a theory?

Slightly OT but clip of kick and destination? PM if you wish.

Like others have said, dynamic EQ probably won't get what you're looking for. Saturation+clip/limit at a frequency band probably gets you further. Saturn and Maul comes to mind. Neither are dynamic EQ or shaper though.

Some strange stuff in this thread.. Dynamic eq's are basically for fixing problems that eq alone won't do satisfactorily. Apart from perhaps some kind of very-limited-use creative effects one shouldn't need to use dynamic eq's for any routine task. I use mine (TDL Nova) rarely..
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

go back to your envelopes, your SYNTH dude.
For example, if all a person requires is a punchy kick, then use DrumSpillage. (or something similar for windows).
If you need to use a dynamic eq after THAT bad boy, then you don't know what you want, and you're just wasting everybody's time.

Agility wrote:What is the specific sound you're after? Funny, a few years ago I posted also asking for dynamic EQ for use on kickdrum(for fat kicks.. and no, it wasn't the right tool.. in my case), I don't know what you're trying to achieve but are you sure a Dynamic EQ is what you need, or a theory?

I'm starting to think it's a theory :D No it's not, is just trying to polish an already fat kick. Both expanding low end and touching other bass frequencies, it's very similar to a transient shaper what I wnt to get

sqigls wrote:go back to your envelopes, your SYNTH dude.
For example, if all a person requires is a punchy kick, then use DrumSpillage. (or something similar for windows).
If you need to use a dynamic eq after THAT bad boy, then you don't know what you want, and you're just wasting everybody's time.
Don't bother mate, I dont want to make anyone waste their time. Just keep on your business. Thanks for the answer anyway

softska wrote:Like others have said, dynamic EQ probably won't get what you're looking for. Saturation+clip/limit at a frequency band probably gets you further. Saturn and Maul comes to mind. Neither are dynamic EQ or shaper though.
Allready doing that, not Saturn but other dist plugins. I'm talking about after that. Thanx!

Agility wrote:What is the specific sound you're after? Funny, a few years ago I posted also asking for dynamic EQ for use on kickdrum(for fat kicks.. and no, it wasn't the right tool.. in my case), I don't know what you're trying to achieve but are you sure a Dynamic EQ is what you need, or a theory?

By the way, I'm not talking about a particular kick if that's what you mean, I'm talking in general when delaing with kicks, just asking what people use as dynamic eq. Everyone here thinks I'm a newbie in sound design, dont really know why :?

The answer from everyone is to not use dynamic eq, which for me is not an option, I use it a lot but I'm just not 100% happy with the plugins I use for that, that is it!

Cheers again :tu:

Try multiband compressors.

J-909 wrote:
sqigls wrote:go back to your envelopes, your SYNTH dude.
Don't bother mate, I dont want to make anyone waste their time. Just keep on your business. Thanks for the answer anyway
I'm just saying, if you use a punchy SOURCE, instead of using a non-punchy source, and needing to beef it up with a chain of plugins. Far easier to adjust a couple of envelopes, to get the exact kick you want, rather than chisel away at a sample or lack-lustre synthesiser.

If you need more emphasis on the attack, just add such layer to the kick.

The good kicks you hear are never just single samples.

Return to “Effects”