Roland Integra 7

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I'm searching for a start point sound pack.
Not that I don't see myself expanding my collection of VSTs and synths afterwards, but right now what I'm looking for is a start point.
This start point should include good orchestral sounds(not the most high end ofcourse, I'm on a budget), a good versatile synth, and a reasonable general sound library for things like band instruments and world instruments.
I also need something for playing live with a band.

Right now I'm struggling between 3 options:
1. Buying Komplete Ultimate.
2. Buying only Kontakt + East West Hollywood orchestra gold\VSL special edition\some other similar orchestral library + Zebra synth.
3. buying Integra 7.

If I'll decide to go on one of the first two options I'll have also to buy a very strong and expansive laptop for live keyboard playing with a band, that could be a problem because I'm on budget.
I also understand that no computer will be as comfortable and as fast as a hardware module for a live situation, and that a hardware module is much clumsier for studio work and computerise music production than a VST.

So, to the questions:
Do you think the Integra 7 can compete with Kontakt factory library?
For orchestral sounds, do you think the Integra 7 can hold up as good as the other orchestral Libraries I've mentioned(including Symphony Essentials you're getting with Komplete Ultimate)?
How good is the the synths I'm getting with Integra 7, comparing to Zebra for example?
I saw people complaining that the Integra 7 capable only to 128 notes polyphony - I can't think of a situation where I'm writing to a DAW more than 128 notes at once, how come it's a big disadvantage? Am I'm missing something?

...I guess, it depends on your priorities - if it's playing live and the sound module's abilities meets your demands in that area (multi-timbrality etc), then the hardware option might be the better the solution.

If it's more studio work, then the plug-ins may be the better choice. I don't know the Integra's sounds, but I'm almost certain, that regarding orchestral sounds it won't be on par with the current soft-sampler solutions.

If orchestral sounds are very important to you, you might try the Symphony Essentials that are included in Kompete Ultimate - they seem to be available as demo versions since last week.

Zebra is one of the most comprehensive synths on the market (if not "the"), but managing it might not be everyone's cup of tea. I also strongly recommend trying its demo.

The synths in Komplete Ultimate also provide you with a comprehensive arsenal, but since there are so many, it has a different (steep) learning curve, if you want to master all of them. It also comes down to your personal preference whether you'd like to do as much as possible within one framework or if you'd like to do different things in separate frameworks.

Personally, as the centre of your arsenal, I'd always say Komplete (maybe not even Ultimate), but it seems to me that NI products aren't for everyone. In any case, I'd try the demos first.

If you like them, another option might be just buying standard Komplete (which is preferable to just buying Kontakt in my opinion) and use the difference you'd pay for Komplete Ultimate to buy a dedicated orchestral library for Kontakt - like something from Spitfire Audio or Project Sam etc...

I think the Integra is too expensive for what you get. I have a XV5080 whih is a sort of pre-Integra. They aren't too expensive so I'd go for one of those. Then you'll still have some money left for Kontakt ect. :wink:

Yep, those romplers are nice with a quick, easy access to a wide range of polished sounds and FX, that don't tax your computer.

However, the raw samples are very small and don't compete with a proper, detailed sample library, although you'd need a large sample library collection to really cover the breadth of the patches in an XV/etc.

I recreated some XV patches with Zebra and could get fairly close (obviously patches that don't require samples) although the character was different as Roland stuff does have a sound, a kind of glossy sheen that you'll either like or dislike.

So it's really too different things - hardware has a certain amount of speed and convenience, but also software has distinct advantages too. You just have to figure out what's more important to you...

If you're looking to disconnect from a computer... I would consider the FA-06. The only downside is it's lack of aftertouch.. but even that can be overcome with an expression pedal, to a certain extent. I went this route. I wanted to get rid of the reliance of having to haul my MacBook out to gigs. The FA-06 has the Integra sound banks, and a lot more. It's a flimsy feeling plastic case, surrounding a wonderfully capable rompler/synth package. Does it replace Zebra? IMO - not even close, but then again.. you have to weigh that against the freedom of being computer free. When you're in the studio or home setting - you can integrate the FA through MIDI to your soft synths and DAW. My FA-06 integrates with Logic Pro, and my soft synths (including Zebra) just fine. So it's not an either-or decision. In my case - once I became comfortable with programming my FA-06... I picked up another hardware keyboard-synth (the JD-XA), to fill out additional synth capabilities live, and computer-free.

I found this demonstration of the old Roland JV1080:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPFqd4L0Frc

I find this sound to be very, very overwhelming.
I would be very satisfied if I could manage to reach to this sound with the Integra 7.
The question is: Does the integra 7 contains all the sound samples from the old Roland JV1080?
I understand that the Roland Integra 7 is a comprehensive pack of all the Roland legacy, and since the JV1080 is one of Roland's most popular instruments ever, it would realy be a shame if it won't be included at the Integra 7.

The integra includes all the Fantom stuff, which includes all the XV5080 stuff, which includes all the 2080 stuff, which contains all the 1080 stuff.

You should be able to load third party 1080 patches without problems (this works fine on the 5080 here) and all the factory patches should be included in the banks by default.

The Integra is a lot more than an XV-5080 or Fantom.. It has the supernatural engine in it which provides a lot of nuance based on playing technique, designed for each instrument.

That being said, if your goal is to do orchestra mockups, I would go with one of the orchestral libraries...not an integra. The Integra-7 is nice, I have a JP-80 which is similar and it can make some amazing sounds, I'm actually a lot more in love with the synth engine on it, but anyway, The Integra gives you quick and ready to go lots of voices to lay down tracks fast, but... you can do that readily with a good computer and some kontakt libraries...

I personally think NI Komplete Ultimate is way over priced. I have upgraded NI products little by little over the years starting from Kontakt and acquired this and yet and eventually upgraded to to Komplete when it was half off...and even now...every year they come out with their next update and I look at what is included (most of which I have no use for), and what would actually be of value to me and I find the upgrade price is too high...even at half off. You get a few great things and a lot of fluff you'll never use. But if you just like to fart around with a lot of different sound making stuff, you do get a lot of stuff to play around with...so maybe it will be interesting for you.

You said you plan to play with a live band, how do you plan to use Kontakt for that? Integra will obviously be more fool proof in that regard, but a computer setup with Mainstage and Kontakt is totally doable also.

There are a LOT of VST's out there for making all kinds of sounds, orchestral and non. Some are even free! If you choose to go the VST route, then get a lot more specific about what you want to do and you can find a reasonably affordable solution usually you don't need to spend $1000 for it.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Can the Integra 7 editor be loaded into a DAW like a "regular" VST ? I mean, not that it will produce sound by itself, but that it can more easily integrate the Integra 7 in the DAW.

Looks really neat:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/integra ... 47016?mt=8

On Windows, users should note that it is only 64 bit now
https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... cd3bfab3a/

Does Integra have all the JV-XV waveforms built in? Can it duplicate JD-990?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:Does Integra have all the JV-XV waveforms built in? Can it duplicate JD-990?
The 5080 has all the 990 waveforms, so yes, it should...

Except filters aren't the same in either, DACs aren't the same, ROM sample rate and bit depth aren't the same, also nothing after JD-990 offers hardsync on samples and crossmod options that JD-990 had, so they don't quite get there sound-wise :)

Yamaha Motif family.
Komplete
Omnisphere
8Dio
Sound Iron

EvilDragon wrote:Except filters aren't the same in either, DACs aren't the same, ROM sample rate and bit depth aren't the same, also nothing after JD-990 offers hardsync on samples and crossmod options that JD-990 had, so they don't quite get there sound-wise :)
Not completely true , crossmod is not unique on the jd 990
Crossmod also known as FXM on the jd (and every roland rompler after ) is nothing more then the oscilator modulating itself with a built in square wave , the FXM depth of the jd has a wider range .
Only thing the jd offers over the integra 7 is a better sounding (pcm) filter and osc.sync .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”