Kiss (the band) synth sounds

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Opportunity has come up for me to do some fill in work for a Kiss tribute band - not really something I'd go out of my way to do but for a synth player it's not a lot of work to do, and a bit of fun not to mention different to my other projects. Anyway - I don't have the advantage of getting much info from the previous incumbent as to what he used to be authentic to the sounds - given the band's peak was late 70's to early 90's and the focus always on guitars there's not a lot of info on it in general. Main songs for me to get down of course, I was made for lovin' you, shandi, sure know somethin', god gave rock n roll, rock n roll all night and of course Beth..

guessing the usual ones for that period, Arp, Solina.. anyone who might have any other suggestions so I can emulate the sounds accurately I'd appreciate..

Oh and for the record, I don't get to wear the makeup :)
Don't Tech No for an Answer

There are pix on the internet of Ace Frehley playing a Roland G-707 Guitar Synthesizer in the 80s.

Personally, I'd look to dedicated KISS Fan websites. Quick Google ...

http://www.kissfaq.com/

Classic Tracks is usually a good search term too. Use your imagination.

I think there's Piano on the chorus of Detroit Rock City. Would need to listen to confirm. Maybe it's different KISS song I'm remembering.

Also, you could search for 'KISS Studio Multitracks'. If you can find the Bands isolated original Mix Stems, you can figure out the sounds from there.

One more thing ... do the Band who want to use you have recordings of their gigs? If so, you should be able to hear the sounds they're after.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

thanks.. without having the luxury (yet) of dissecting the songs in detail and more going on memories as a kid, and a few hours in between non-musical pursuits over the weekend there's not a really wide range of stuff in there - predominantly as they tried to hide their keyboard players. Have already read a few interesting articles about their two main guys who had to play behind curtains or under the stage, and not just playing keys but vocals and filling in guitar and bass sounds for tunes that had no keys.

Again, most of it's going to be your piano, 70's Solina type strings, and some VP-330 type pad stuff (SHandi?).. bell type sounds as in "I was made for.." if I get that wrong and use something too prominent it'll stand out like dogs b*lls.. I believe I also need to make that percussive sound pre solo on that song..

I'll google the multi-tracks to see what I can find - thanks again!

If you can't get any audio from the band themselves, look up youtube for tribute kiss bands. There's bound to be a few. If they're using a keyboard player, then that will be a good help I'm sure.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

bah - found a multitrack but of course no key parts.. mixed in with the vocals. But as I thought, very Juno-ish sounding strings - did they have a time machine? heh. The bells, also very Alpha-Juno type of a sound. Guess I'll be listening to Kiss for the commute into my day job for the next few days.. worse things to listen to I guess :)
thanks.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Sound Design”