AudioThing releases The Orb - Formant Filter - Update v1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Orb

Spitfire31 wrote:I find the Ableton MIDI control hopelessly obtuse. I want 'simple': ctrl-click a knob, wiggle the physical knob or slider on my controller, and that's it. I'd hoped I wouldn't have to play at being a programmer for such a simple thing, which is implemented for many of my synths.
I'm not an Ableton Live expert (I use it just for testing plugins actually), but on my system it's just a matter of clicking the MIDI button, clicking the control I want to map, wiggle the physical knob/slider, click the MIDI button again and it's done. I'm not sure if there are any hidden preferences or settings to use, perhaps a Ableton Live user can give some help on this?

Anyway, I understand that it could be much easier and intuitive to have the MIDI learn option inside the plugin itself. I can't guarantee I will be able to add it for the next update, but I'll try.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

Thank you! It's all about the flow…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

audiothing wrote:...I can't guarantee I will be able to add it for the next update, but I'll try.
That's why I buy your plugins.
And the beat goes on...

Mister Gibson wrote:
audiothing wrote:...I can't guarantee I will be able to add it for the next update, but I'll try.
That's why I buy your plugins.
My view exactly. And becasue they're original and sound good!

/Joachim

Thanks guys!

@Spitfire31 are you using any effect plugin with the internal MIDI learn?

I've been trying to figure out the MIDI learn function for effects plugins all day, but it looks like something very convoluted.
I've tried with The Orb (as well as with other commercial effect plugins) on both Logic and Live and, of course both DAW behave differently.

For example, in Logic you have to load the plugin as a MIDI-Controlled Effect on a separate instrument track and then use the Sidechain to route audio to it (maybe through a Bus). Anyway, this seems to work.
In Live it looks like you have to create a new MIDI track, route the MIDI using the MIDI To dropdown to the track with the effect (but no matter what I tried, I couldn't make it work). If no instrument is loaded in a MIDI track with a MIDI controlled effect, the plugin gets MIDI, but as soon as I add an instrument plugin, the effect doesn't receive MIDI anymore. Can anyone suggest a working/better workflow for this?
I can't test on Cubase, Pro Tools etc. at the moment, but I guess that all DAWs will behave somehow differently.

So, unless I'm missing something here and at least for effect plugins, it looks like the best option would still be to use the internal MIDI learn function of the DAW.

@audiothing; I had to think back but I think you're right – I don't think I've used an effect plug with internal MIDI learn, at least not in Live.

In fact, I remember that it was really tricky to get PSP's l'Otary Leslie sim to respond to speed change using CC 64. I think I have a saved setup somewhere, but not readily available.

Oh well…

Thank you for your research! I guess I'll have to resign to making some kind of template in Live, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel every time. ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

I demoed the Orb first on a flute in Kontakt, then on a simple sound, but the results were minimal. Supposing it needed something more complex to chew on, I tried it on UVI's Sweep Machine.
O boy! A world of exciting difference.
I demoed with iZotope's Iris, which also outputs quite complex sounds, and, yes, I must have this.
And the price is right.
Bought!

Man, this is addictive!

A slower LFO would indeed be a nice extension, but I like the manual function.
Congrats also to the interface creator: it's super easy to use and goes well with the sound of the tool.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

Spitfire31 wrote:Thank you for your research! I guess I'll have to resign to making some kind of template in Live, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel every time. ;-)
Unfortunately that's the only reasonable way (IMHO) to do it. Hopefully this will change in the future, but at least we tried :)

ErikH wrote:I demoed the Orb first on a flute in Kontakt, then on a simple sound, but the results were minimal. Supposing it needed something more complex to chew on, I tried it on UVI's Sweep Machine.
O boy! A world of exciting difference.
I demoed with iZotope's Iris, which also outputs quite complex sounds, and, yes, I must have this.
And the price is right.
Bought!

Man, this is addictive!
Thanks for your feedback! Yes, the source material can heavily influence the result of the effect. There are a few tweaks you may try if the changes to the sound are minimal. For example, try switching the genre to Female or Child (higher formants should catch more stuff from sounds like flutes, leads...), or if you don't use the Drift LFO, try using a higher Drift Range setting (with + polarity) and rise the Drift manually from either the orb or the hidden section below the orb (just click on it).
ErikH wrote:A slower LFO would indeed be a nice extension, but I like the manual function.
Congrats also to the interface creator: it's super easy to use and goes well with the sound of the tool.
Absolutely, I'll make the LFO rates at least 0.01Hz. I don't think it needs to go over 1kHz but I'm open to suggestions.

The interface layout/design was probably the longest part of the development. We had to redo it from scratch a couple of times to find the right balance.

Couldn't withstand... dammit... although I swore not to buy any plugins anymore :x

I need a therapy :hihi:
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

stardustmedia wrote:Couldn't withstand... dammit... although I swore not to buy any plugins anymore :x

There's no therapy for GAS... :D

audiothing wrote:
stardustmedia wrote:Couldn't withstand... dammit... although I swore not to buy any plugins anymore :x

There's no therapy for GAS... :D
Maybe you can create a anti-GAS-plugin? :party: :help: :love:

stardustmedia wrote:Maybe you can create a anti-GAS-plugin? :party: :help: :love:
Brilliant...maybe :D

Offcourse it should not work on AudioThing plugins, only on competitor's plugins :D
Last edited by stardustmedia on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”