Looking for vintage emulations of outboard (with budget!)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had a massive post already written, but the forum ate it on submission :evil:

Basically, I'm looking for a 32 bit version of T-racks' Vintage Compressors bundle, and a Pultec clone. I can't use T-racks, as I'm stuck on Ableton 6. I had a bunch of hardware (Fat1, JoeMeek opto, RNC), and I now want to replace with VSTs. Would love to take the opportunity to get an 1176, LA2A, Fairchild (or similar), SSL G, and some kind of transparent RNC replacement (assuming the SSL couldn't fill those boots).

Budget is £200 (so, about $250), I'm open to suggestions!
Sorry if this gets asked every day, hoping the addition of a budget will make it a bit more appealing)

If it were me, I'd use the money to upgrade to Live 9 Standard, and then take advantage of IK Multimedia's next Buy One, Get One sale. Is it a hardware issue that keeps you from upgrading?

The current version of T-RackS supports 32-bit. Is there a particular issue with Live 6? I'm on 9 here.
Image Image Image Image

Not too many big developers are still doing 32-bit. I could be wrong

But the T-Rack processors are incredible. The VC-670 is something else to look out for as fellas their Opto-Compressor which works great on master as well.

Have a look at Acustica Audio plugins.
They sound amazing (at least to me) and are very reasonably priced. You don't need an iLok and can try them for 30 days for free (which I highly recommend because who knows, you might not like them at all) :)

For the Pultec emulation:

Try Ignite Amps PTEq-X, it's free so you have nothing to lose at all. Ah, 32 bit support also. http://igniteamps.com/en/audio-plug-ins

I wouldn't spend all your money on plugins if I were you. In fact, for 32bit software, most of that is actually free now so I would spend the money on something like Sonar because you get a ton of DAW power for dirt cheap...super inexpensive.

However, if you really are limited to Ableton 6 for whatever reason, well...for that version, I think maybe you should take a look at Klanghelm VSTs if you must seek some kind of better quality...specifically the MJUC and SDRR plugins. You get a lot of emulation in one plugin and they come in 32bit, 64bit, and even AAX versions. So, if you ever upgraded your DAW, those plugins will work with it. I think most would agree that is a good place to start. Besides, he has really nice free basic versions of those plugins.

Here you go: http://klanghelm.com/contents/main.php

Why are you limiting yourself to Live 6? That's kind of punishing yourself for no reason. Do some research...don't just rely on responses from users in forums only. Educate yourself in this field. There may be much to read out there but like all successful people will tell you, "there is no substitute for hard work."
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Thank you for all of your replies, sorry for the delay in posting this. Broadly, I want to keep using Live 6 for 2 main reasons: A) I don't want to spend the whole budget on a DAW upgrade, leaving nothing for plugins. It was always my intention to replace the hardware I sold with good software plugins. I did consider upgrading Live, solely for the audio-to-MIDI features, but deemed it not worth that much money. And, B) Being honest, I don't have the time to invest learning a new DAW. I did look seriously at Reaper as it is cheap, and 64 bit, but I decided against the distraction of learning a new system. The moments I get to produce music, I want to be productive.

Anyway....things have moved on a bit. I've got the MJUCjr free plugin (nice!), Overtone's Program EQ (CM version, also free) managed to grab the Waves LA-2A in a sale (along with a Neve console strip, as it was only $30), and bought SKnote Disto last night (should cover me on the drums/1176 front). In fact, I'm comfy now apart from the bus/master compressor, and maybe a limiter. I had sort of looked at Cytomic's The Glue (I know it's good), but I'm unsure because of the price. I'm thinking I'll stick it out until Waves have their SSL/bus compressor on sale, or look at alternatives (maybe Stillwell's Bombadier?). Last night, I installed TDR Kotelnikov and it seemed ok for the 10 minutes I played with it. I'm not sure if it would fill the shoes of an SSL bus compressor for gelling mixes, but it seems like a smooth piece of kit.

Regarding master limiters, obviously we're looking at the digital realm, any suggestions? Stillwell's Event Horizon is pretty cheap, as is Waves L1. I've got a free one at the moment (Classic Master Limiter), but it only has a threshold control, and it's a bit limited (no pun intended!), and it's far from the smoothest/cleanest sounding

chemicalfan wrote: I had sort of looked at Cytomic's The Glue (I know it's good), but I'm unsure because of the price.
https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/working ... l-dubspot/

Live 9 has The Glue ... it wont cost much more to upgrade, compared to buying The Glue as a vst. Live 9 has a ton of other great effects (filters by Cytomic for example). Even more if you get Maxforlive or Suite. There have been many additions and improvements since v6.

if you dont want to spend a lot on a daw i think you could buy something like logic express 9 from ebay. i bought my copy for 20 cad and its basically logic x minus the fancy gui and some instruments, plus it has 32 bit plugin bridging.

Im so satisfied i gave ableton live intro completely up after it.

You deserve better than ableton live 6. seriously, even if you dont want so spend a lot, but still want to do ableton live, you could get ableton live intro (essentially ableton live minus a few premium devices and limited to 16 channels) for peanuts. I sold my copy for 45 usd recently. im sure you could negotiate a price if you think thats a lot.

My point is that ableton live 6 doesnt really stack up in 2016.

Hell even t7 is just 60 bucks! and works well as a basic daw! (shameless plug: i have it for 35 for sale at the moment)

Do yourself some justice and move to the 21th century. Leave live 6 behind.
Last edited by 100F on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

100F wrote:... Do yourself some justice and move to the 20th century. ...
:?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Hahaha sorry! i just realized. I meant 21st century!

:)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”