MODO BASS: Get ready for a new level of realism (1.5 update available now)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO BASS 1

progtronic wrote:Here's an example of a low-tuned track, I did a few months ago (maybe you can hear, what I'm basically going for.. using the Scarbee Rickenbacker on this one):
Finally found some time to listen to it. And honestly... don't use a bass for this. Use a guitar. Any 7+ string guitar. As benjamind already mentioned, going "lower than B" is just mush...

I mean, it's your decision to go that route - which seems to be the future of "Djent" :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgRLLqYQh1Q

No seriously - this is already enough for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWeO27JIbdE

progtronic wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Yeah, but AFAIK downtuned from low B to low low F#.
Yep.. this. :tu:
Did some research on this, and it's not quite that simple.

According to Wikipedia, this is his standard tuning:
Main Tuning: Bb, F, Bb, Eb, Ab. String gauges: .120 - .100 - .080 - .060 - .040 DR Dragon Skin
Bleed Tuning: Bb, Eb, Ab, Db
Obzen Tuning A, F, Bb, Eb, Ab

B-flat... could still be possible (emphasis, could - again, the keyswitches seem to be at a fixed position).

But then again there is this "downtuned to F#" commentary. Here is is roadie explaining why:
https://youtu.be/oAFJmgA2G5E?t=7m42s

Basically... if the guitars are 7+ strings (so 8 or 9 string), Lövgren doesn't touch the downtuned F# string. If it's a 7 string guitar track, then Lövgren "add some rumble".

Personally I don't like it - and it's IMO also not needed - but music is subjective anyway.

Summed up - 5 string tuned down to B is more than enough for 99% of the cases. Even for Prog and... omg... Djent.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Will IK be adding this model?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEMTcVm0RSA
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Don't really understand why folks are telling me, I don't need to (or shouldn't) do, the things I'd like to do.. musically.. :lol:

Been producing for a few decades now. I know that the styles I like to work in, and the way I like to do things, are weird.. but I'm totally ok with that.

I'm not putting down this product.. I just simply stated it won't really work for me, and the weird way I like to do stuff.

Didn't mean to cause so much controversy... :dog:

(I realize the "Metal and Prog" thing was an incorrect, blanket statement.. apologies for that)

Burillo wrote: @Peter, i assume the model selection will be extended with Custom Shop? seems like that would be a natural progression for MODO.
At this time I don't know of plans to make MODO BASS a Custom Shop product but that's likely because we're working on getting the initial release out and also reviewing what features would be useful for a subsequent release. I'll let you know if/when I have any related information to share though.

progtronic wrote:Don't really understand why folks are telling me, I don't need to (or shouldn't) do, the things I'd like to do.. musically.. :lol:

Been producing for a few decades now. I know that the styles I like to work in, and the way I like to do things, are weird.. but I'm totally ok with that.

I'm not putting down this product.. I just simply stated it won't really work for me, and the weird way I like to do stuff.

Didn't mean to cause so much controversy... :dog:

(I realize the "Metal and Prog" thing was an incorrect, blanket statement.. apologies for that)
I understood from your initial post that you were stating that for your projects and preferences it didn't seem MODO BASS was a fit. I will still gather input, including yours, as valuable for consideration toward future iterations.

Besides the noodling of the keyboardist as mentioned above, there are two things that I found which differentiated the MODO bass and the real bass recording in the last demo (the duet).

First is that in the demo, MODO bass sounds like a keyboard instrument, rather than string instrument, where each note is not muted by notes from the same string, especially obvious when playing D-C-A kind of motives where there has to be a pair of note that resides on the same string. On the other hand, the bassist did a professional job muting the strings when playing legato lines, which is what makes it sounds like a string instrument IMHO. Of course, we can modify the MIDI until it sounds right, but just wondering if MODO provides algorithm to cutoff notes on the same string in (fast) mono playing passages.

The second difference is the frequent random picking harmonics that is triggered by the real bassist from almost every pick of the finger, if we can emulate this with MODO's physical modeling algorithm, it would be fantastic.

rcjach wrote:Besides the noodling of the keyboardist as mentioned above, there are two things that I found which differentiated the MODO bass and the real bass recording in the last demo (the duet).

First is that in the demo, MODO bass sounds like a keyboard instrument, rather than string instrument, where each note is not muted by notes from the same string, especially obvious when playing D-C-A kind of motives where there has to be a pair of note that resides on the same string. On the other hand, the bassist did a professional job muting the strings when playing legato lines, which is what makes it sounds like a string instrument IMHO. Of course, we can modify the MIDI until it sounds right, but just wondering if MODO provides algorithm to cutoff notes on the same string in (fast) mono playing passages.

The second difference is the frequent random picking harmonics that is triggered by the real bassist from almost every pick of the finger, if we can emulate this with MODO's physical modeling algorithm, it would be fantastic.
While you can force notes to ring out, but MODO BASS certainly does contain the built-in (automatic) functionality to mute the subsequent notes played on the same string (fast or slow, and sounds very realistic either way). I just tested it to make sure, and it is there.

To the second point, every stroke is slightly different like a real bass player, of course. This is a part of what makes MODO BASS different and ultra-realistic. You can even choose alternate, middle, or index finger use (as well as alternate, down, or up for picking and slap/pull/auto for slap). MODO BASS certainly covers an incredible amount of nuances, both in the choices you have and in the way that the performance will vary in a very nuanced and human way automatically.

Some of the play styles are covered in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQBkoqjL6pw

I've watched the demo videos a few times now, and the sound and versatility of MODO really appeals to me. Certainly looks like it would fit both my sound and workflow.

I'm also considering getting a ROLI Seaboard, and I think that would make an interesting controller for MODO once set up.

Since it's software...could i use this also for sound design? I mean creating things like disturbing pads and bowed guitars out of hell like sounds :D

ftech wrote: I'm also considering getting a ROLI Seaboard, and I think that would make an interesting controller for MODO once set up.
IK Office needs to get a ROLI Seaboard in house to properly tweak MODO for it.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:
ftech wrote: I'm also considering getting a ROLI Seaboard, and I think that would make an interesting controller for MODO once set up.
IK Office needs to get a ROLI Seaboard in house to properly tweak MODO for it.
YES.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

...And a Linnstrument. These would be perfect for use with MODO.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Yep. The potential for controlling instruments like MODO with these new generation controllers looks very interesting.

IK would need to support MPE. Not sure how easy that would be when the engine wasnt built for it.

I have a linnstrument and agree it would be great for expressiveness. Not sure if IK could realistically implement it.
too much is never enough. - gmontano on esoundz.com

Return to “Instruments”