Old cubase

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah... Was that Cubase 5 or Cubase 3.x (from the GUI, it was Cubase 5). Definitely some good old vibes right there - haven't seen that GUI in quite a while. Same for this particular Tascam device. And those are 1st Gen Korg Electribe's as well.

Completely forgot that MDA collaborated with Steinberg once... I think I still have that JX-16 somewhere. If not, I still have my install CDs from back in the days (though - 32bit and all that). But I never liked that Steinberg only did this for "xyz versions" of their host. Which is why I basically never touched their internal synths/plugins (Waldorf A1 anyone?!)

And here I thought you fired up a Cubase version older than 3.x (pre VSTi days). But still... I feel kind of old now.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Aah, the memories!

Hey cool video, you have mastered this stuff pretty well :tu:

When people think of this stuff as 'old' I have to laugh, even though it's Cubase VST 5/32. Back in the late 70's & early 80's I was using a table top & component cassette deck, going back and fourth to over-dub live guitar & vocal tracks. Now THAT's old! :party:

Please upload more! This is good stuff! :)

ZapAxe wrote:Now THAT's old! :party:
Actually that's a drive of creativity, trying to exceed hardware limitations. I have the utmost respect for audio engineers that worked on 2-track, 4 track and 8 track before we got ultimately spoiled with HDD recording.

And this particular video clearly shows, that you don't need one VSTi per sound, but can work with three hardware synths, one DAC/controller and one always-critisized-for-bundled-FX-and-crap-EQ (I still remember the heated debates "this EQ sounds crap compared to XYZ!") host with 4 stock VSTi loaded. And OMG, at 32bit topography even! Through a Tascam DAC!

Hard to grasp these days, no?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Everybody thanks.

I think The local loop had better this version.
Do menus have decreased now version.

Compyfox wrote:
ZapAxe wrote:Now THAT's old! :party:
Actually that's a drive of creativity, trying to exceed hardware limitations. I have the utmost respect for audio engineers that worked on 2-track, 4 track and 8 track before we got ultimately spoiled with HDD recording.

And this particular video clearly shows, that you don't need one VSTi per sound, but can work with three hardware synths, one DAC/controller and one always-critisized-for-bundled-FX-and-crap-EQ (I still remember the heated debates "this EQ sounds crap compared to XYZ!") host with 4 stock VSTi loaded. And OMG, at 32bit topography even! Through a Tascam DAC!

Hard to grasp these days, no?
Yes drive of creativity, which can be fun and exciting in itself :tu: For me it was a matter of necessity. I was poor and couldn't afford anything more than using 2 old stereo cassette decks. At a point, I learned that I could put tape on either the left or right side of the cassette recorder heads, and was doing true 2-track recording! :party:

About 1985 I bought a Tascam 4-track cassette, this served me well until I bought Cubase VST 5/32 in the day and my very 1st computer :love:

very cool Cubase VST yeah :-)
I remember when I was at Frankfurt Music Fair (Frankfurt Musik Messe) when the VST stuff was pretty new.
It was presented at the Steinberg booth and every one was like "WOW" Virtual Instruments and back then they were even proud to show that the software had parametric EQ with several bands :-)
The EQ back then had only knobs, no graphical representation of the EQ settings as commonly done these days.

But for me personally, the good days are today. Playing a virtual keyboard on the iPad was inspiring to me, for example and I just NEED stuff like Virtual Guitarist :love:

If I was a better music wizard, it would probably be different :hihi:
Last edited by telebunke on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Listen to me at soundcklick:
www.soundclick.com/wewritesongs

I simply loved cubase vst 5 :party: ! I still have a Version with printerport dongle. a very good Video & song, dude!

but cubase 8.5 ain't that bad either.... :tu:

I'm still enjoying good ole Cubase 5. It's really nice. Anyone else? :)

No. No, no, no, no, no. You can't actually create the cool and fun music you actually did because you aren't on a modern PC with a new gen i7 and 10 thousand Gigs of RAM for reasons. It's impossible. This music is therefore not music and indeed cannot exist due to your low specs or don't you know? ;)

Damn. I recall using my latter-day ("Dalmatian") iMac (one of the last 'super' iMacs of the time) and just and only Reason 2.5 when I first started computer music creation. I've not been anywhere near as creative or productive as I was then (around about 2002-2005, until the iMac died and nothing....nothing would save it...bringing it to being an over-priced piece of junk, thrown into the local dump. Yes. Really.
Ever since, I've spent nearly a decade continually stubbing my toe with various PC-centric DAWs and freeware VSTi. I'm far more free...but...after literally 12 years of 'creativity' how many songs have I finished? Zero. That's how many. How many was I well on the way towards actual structure 'back then'? A dozen or more.
I've actually driven myself towards the PC version of Caustic 3 as well as experimenting with Psycle and MilkyTracker to help restrict myself with hopes I can actually grow as I did prior... We'll see.
I'll be brutally honest: I wish I still had only a G3 iMac with Reason 2.5 so I can have fun with music again like I used to.... :-/ (then again...Synth1....ya know?....)
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”