ToneBoosters, I love your plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TB Equalizer v3 TB Equalizer v4 TB ReelBus v3 TB ReelBus v4

Like i said, i sent the link of this thread to jeroen, and now jeroen answer me, he noticed these discussions. Very nice move! :tu:

I love Toneboosters isone, reelbus, and special mention to sibalance which is the most genius deesser out there... the other day i had a quite clanky bass but didn't want to sacrifice the tone and aggressiveness and sibalance was just the ticket in precisely isolating only the ugly clankiness.

Yep, I use Sibalance on overheads, hats, guitars, mixes, etc. Toneboosters are, in many cases, best in class. I think the price is the only reason they're not taken seriously by some, and that's a shame.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

I think JB could possibly be a little more explanatory about who he is on the TB site.
Then people who are unaware, might be able to understand more easily as to the
quality of his work.

If you know of his professional and academic exploits, then it makes perfect sense.

-Cheers

pekbro wrote:I think JB could possibly be a little more explanatory about who he is on the TB site.
quality of his work.

If you know of his professional and academic exploits, then it makes perfect sense.

-Cheers
Yes, he is awesome guy like crazy. :hihi:

I found this.
Jeroen received an MSc degree in biomedical engineering from the Eindhoven University of Technology in 1997, and a PhD degree in psychophysics from the same university in 2001.

From 2001 to 2007, Jeroen was with the Digital Signal Processing group at Philips Research, conducting research in the areas of spatial perception, stereo and multi-channel parametric audio coding, automatic audio content analysis and binaural rendering. His work on audio compression has been incorporated in several international (broadcast) standards, such as MPEG-4, MPEG Surround, 3GPP, DVB and the MPEG standard for spatial audio object coding (SAOC).

From 2007 to 2010 Jeroen was with the Information and System security group at Philips Research, and worked in the areas of biometric information protection and automated human behavior analysis. He actively participated in the ISO/IEC IT security techniques standardization committee (JTC1 SC27) as co-editor of project 24745 (Biometric information protection). He also participated in the ISO/IEC Biometrics standardization committee (JTC1 SC37), and was involved in several EU-funded projects (3D FACE and TURBINE).

From 2011 onwards Jeroen is with Civolution, developing watermarking and fingerprinting algorithms for broadcast monitoring and forensic tracking of media content.

Jeroen is a member of the IEEE and the Audio Engineering Society. He regularly acts as peer reviewer, published about 70 papers for conferences and journals, co-authored and co-edited two books and was granted several patents. In his free time, he develops audio signal processing algorithms for professional use.

:party:

I always feel like.. 'oh.. this guy's primary intention for developing nice plugins is not making money..'
Now i know. He make a plugin in his free time! His kind of hobby!! lol

These are by far the best plugins money can buy. I'm mixing exclusively with these sonimus and Valhalla.
My wish list will follow.

First wish for tb module, synchronisation of the delay module could be better and clearer by using standard timings as 1/8, 1/4 and so on.

nicksohn wrote:
pekbro wrote:I think JB could possibly be a little more explanatory about who he is on the TB site.
quality of his work.

-Cheers
Yes, he is awesome guy like crazy. :hihi:

I found this.
Jeroen received an MSc degree in biomedical engineering from the Eindhoven University of Technology in 1997, and a PhD degree in psychophysics from the same university in 2001.

From 2001 to 2007, Jeroen was with the Digital Signal Processing group at Philips Research, conducting research in the areas of spatial perception, stereo and multi-channel parametric audio coding, automatic audio content analysis and binaural rendering. His work on audio compression has been incorporated in several international (broadcast) standards, such as MPEG-4, MPEG Surround, 3GPP, DVB and the MPEG standard for spatial audio object coding (SAOC).
:party:
Yeah, I had already come accross this blurb. Jeroen is by all engineering standards a first class expert in his field. So indeed it makes perfect sense that his plugins are "scientifically sound" (pun intended). You can bet he implements the latest and greatest known algorithms from research papers in his plugins.
The only issue I have is, like with TDR, it's not always easy to guess what each button does when you are not an audo engineer yourself. Maybe a couple of videos that explain them or some blog posts would be helpful.

Intriguing... I've been testing the demo of ReelBus for a while and I really, really do like how it sounds, but literally because of the cost I keep thinking maybe I'm just imagining it's good. Now, after reading that excerpt about Jeroen - I'm going to purchase it very soon. Good to know.

Other tape simulators either cost a lot, require heavy DRM or a combination of both! I'll stick with TB ReelBus :D

(if anyone else does have any other recommendations for Tape Simulation, though, feel free to tell me - perhaps by PM or something)

Complete wishlist for my own:

For all plugins:

1. A-D knobs to compare different settings

2. Better preset management with categories like Vocals, Drums...., which could be extended by the user

3. Mouse over hint for all plugins, like in TB BusCompressor

4. Own bypass button, no must have

TB EQ/Fix:

1. Deactivating a frquency band by double click and not by right click, my problem by right click is you often shift the frequency, but you only want to A/B with and without. Right click would be better for changing the filter type

2. Interaction between different TB EQ´s. A collision graph would be great, where you can see masking effects of different sound sources in one instance of the EQ.

3. A saturation knob like in TB Module, to give it some character

4. Solo listen fuction for the bands/frequncies

5. Make up button for static eq bands in TB Fix

TB Compressor:

1. A knee knob

2. A saturation knob like in TB Module, to give it some character

3. Auto Gain Compensation, like in TB BusCompressor, it´s the only auto gain compensation I know which seems to work good

4. Sidechain HPF listen function

5. Gate function implemantation, cause of better visibility for setting the gate. TB gate would become obsolete.

TB EZQ

1. Please also an update, sometimes it´s so handy and fast to get the signal in the mix

TB Gate

1. Implemantation inside TB Compressor or a graph inside TB Gate

TB Module

1. Synchronisation of the delay module could be better and clearer by using standard timings as 1/8, 1/4 and so on.

What should stay

1. The stability of the plugins, no crashes

2. CPU usage, it´s so criminal low, fantastic

3. The convenience to set the parameters

4. Clear GUI, not overloaded

5. The fair prices for the plugins

6. A bundle with all plugins inside or different ones, like Mixing, Mastering....

More will follow, I don´t know if that´s all possible by backwards compatibility and I hope Jeroen will read this and take some points on his list.

Thanks for having you Jeroen, go on with your great work

Marek

lolilol1975 wrote: .......So indeed it makes perfect sense that his plugins are "scientifically sound" (pun intended)........
"Significantly sounds good" (No pun intended).

:lol:

musical_duck wrote:Intriguing... I've been testing the demo of ReelBus for a while and I really, really do like how it sounds, but literally because of the cost I keep thinking maybe I'm just imagining it's good. Now, after reading that excerpt about Jeroen - I'm going to purchase it very soon. Good to know.

Other tape simulators either cost a lot, require heavy DRM or a combination of both! I'll stick with TB ReelBus :D

(if anyone else does have any other recommendations for Tape Simulation, though, feel free to tell me - perhaps by PM or something)
U-he satin is a very nice tape simulator too. :tu:
But for some mysterious reason, i use reelbus more on bus for glueing things.
I think slate's tape machine sounds nice, but remember, it needs a hardware ilok. Hardware ilok is very, i mean VERY annoying for me.

Too bad tb eq has only 6 filter sections... :( Unlimited or at least 18 would be great...something ala ProQ!

musical_duck wrote:Intriguing... I've been testing the demo of ReelBus for a while and I really, really do like how it sounds, but literally because of the cost I keep thinking maybe I'm just imagining it's good.
I simply don't understand the "logic" behind that thinking. It's detrimental to everybody.

I'm sure that $10K cables must be awesome and totally change your perspective. :hyper:
Or maybe not. :hihi:

Return to “Effects”