What interesting frequencies do you know of? (ie resonance of water, the brown noise, etc)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

woggle wrote:Everybody has an EEG brain frequency around 10Hz when they are resting with their eyes closed that has more energy than other frequencies of brain activity - it's often called alpha rhythm.
I know a couple people in Austin that do competitive meditation using some weird caps and this frequency.

SephReed wrote:
woggle wrote:Everybody has an EEG brain frequency around 10Hz when they are resting with their eyes closed that has more energy than other frequencies of brain activity - it's often called alpha rhythm.
I know a couple people in Austin that do competitive meditation using some weird caps and this frequency.
competitive meditation! I had never heard of such a thing

since i haven't purchased my own pocket electroencephalogram and am loath to accept anything on reference,

i thought it worth mentioning that, at least as far as i've deigned to notice, all this alpha beta brainwave stuff, well, let's take a look..........

what is your heart rate when active?

what is your heart rate when resting?

these things, we can observe.

and, we often correlate this rate to quarter notes in music we find appropriate for these states.

let's continue to examine this concept.

if we exercise at 150bpm (well...), quarter notes are .4s in length

if we chillax at 75 bpm, quarter notes are twice that.

what is the length of a sixteenth note? and, how do these rates convert to these observes "brainwave" frequencies? ;)

this is why bpm readout on blewm was in hertz. hth :) (hmm... where's the link to that pdf document "everything fun about synthesis" i already said all this stuff in??)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote: what is the length of a sixteenth note? and, how do these rates convert to these observes "brainwave" frequencies? ;)
any environmental input will have a reflex in neural activity and any regular input will give rise to a similarly regular neural activity. A standard is to use visual flicker of say 13Hz, and then note that there is a corresponding increase in 13Hz activity in the brain. So in terms of brain dynamics the interest could be in entraining brain activity at frequencies identified as indicative of meditative states (for example) in the hope that entraining through musical stimuli would then increase the likelihood of inducing a meditative state. I am not sure if that has been studied in detail although I have seen anecdotal reports.
Note that the brain readily entrains at multiple scales - say you present a note that is 150ms long with a 350ms gap between notes. You then have the brain tracking/entrained to 150ms, the 350ms and 500ms intervals. Altering any of those intervals will be recognised/registered by the brain. We all know this from our experience of music - just now we can measure that brain change externally

woggle wrote:use visual flicker of say 13Hz, and then note that there is a corresponding increase in 13Hz activity in the brain.
[...]
say you present a note that is 150ms long with a 350ms gap between notes. You then have the brain tracking/entrained to 150ms, the 350ms and 500ms intervals. Altering any of those intervals will be recognised/registered by the brain.
Pinch --> Auw!! Does this really surprise you?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:
woggle wrote:use visual flicker of say 13Hz, and then note that there is a corresponding increase in 13Hz activity in the brain.
[...]
say you present a note that is 150ms long with a 350ms gap between notes. You then have the brain tracking/entrained to 150ms, the 350ms and 500ms intervals. Altering any of those intervals will be recognised/registered by the brain.
Pinch --> Auw!! Does this really surprise you?
well it doesn't surprise me because I did a PhD in developing measures of brain dynamics but I don't think neural entrainment is obvious

but I was really replying to xoxos and did point out "We all know this from our experience of music - just now we can measure that brain change externally" as far as the musical reflex goes, So while we all know through experience that note onset and offset times etc are important and perceived and therefore "present" in some sense in the perceiving brain, I don't think it has been at all obvious that rhythmic variations like I describe will have a direct reflex in polarisation cycles of the apical dendrites of pyramidal cells in the cortex

I saw the other night an interesting tv-documentary of animal communication. There are plenty of importantant frequencies, one of the most strange are the low register signals by animals such as elephant, lion, whale and crocodile. We e.g. know that elephants can produce subsonic information.
One of the lowest (human) audible is the communication called "water dance" produced by horny alligators. Low note vibration makes the water "boil" around the animal.

https://www.wired.com/2011/05/alligator-mating-physics/

Researchers have spotted the low Bb-1 (14,567 Hz) and octave higher Bb0 (29,135) beeing important, not only for alligators but many other spieces in nature, too - especially as a "signal of love". (This may explain Barry White's attraction to the female audience, too). :clown:

https://youtu.be/WA0dFM8iEpk

http://a3.files.biography.com/image/upl ... YyMDU5.jpg
Last edited by Harry_HH on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

woggle wrote:
SephReed wrote: I know a couple people in Austin that do competitive meditation using some weird caps and this frequency.
competitive meditation! I had never heard of such a thing
Sounds a lot like the strenuous relaxing I end up doing before the day's even started. Maybe something to do with the frequency with which I frequent Starbucks... ;)

Unaspected wrote:
SephReed wrote:I don't think the brown noise is real, but if anyone knows that one please post an audio clip.
Brown noise is definitely real -though, being noise, isn't restricted to a single frequency: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_noise

One of my university lecturers once suggested that frequencies below 5Hz (or ambient frequencies) can potentially deform the shape of the eye and therefore cause vision to distort whilst subject to that frequency; thus potentially explaining some hauntings and other such phenomena.

I would imagine the resonant frequency of water as a body would be different to that of water molecules. I would expect the resonant frequency of a body of water to relate to the dimensions of its container and the volume of water contained within. Otherwise, water molecules would probably require quite the frequency shift to get them into audible hearing range.
Allegedly, the mythic Levasseur whistle or ocarina vibrates at 3.5 Hz and at 180 db can cause death.

neffermind
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

42 Hz is really nice.

And checkout the planetary freqs (eg. earth = 1/year = 3.1709792E-8 Hz) transposed by n octaves into the normal audio range.

SephReed wrote:Just found this one:

432Hz is a multiple of 8Hz which is apparently "the key to the full and sovereign activation potential of our brain."

Check it out: https://attunedvibrations.com/432hz-healing/
This is actually the brown note.

I.e. it's full of shit

I used to hang out with 362Hz; really quite interesting until he starts drinking too much and going on about politics.

Aloysius wrote:Farting with frequency = The brown noise.

''post an audio clip''

No.
https://soundcloud.com/xhip/beanghosthowl
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”