Free CA-2A from Cakewalk

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier

nIGhT-SoN wrote:Sad to see people so disgusted about a free plugin.
The more someone pays for something, the more likely they are to think it is awesome and the less likely they are to think it is rubbish (think £100 USB cables or £1000 HDMI cables).

Go the other way, the cheaper something is, the less perceived value it has and the more rubbish it is likely to be.

"Free", therefore, has no perceived value and hence, a person loses nothing by calling it crap. I bet if Cakewalk had sold this for $5 everyone would be raving how amazing it is. You are less likely to call it rubbish even for $5 because to do so would imply your have poor judgement for investing even $5 in it. Hence, it is awesome, even for $5.

I'm sure there is some clever name for this phenomenon, some confirmation bias or somesuch.

I like this plugin. Haven't tried it on vocals though.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

cprompt wrote:
nIGhT-SoN wrote:Sad to see people so disgusted about a free plugin.
The more someone pays for something, the more likely they are to think it is awesome and the less likely they are to think it is rubbish (think £100 USB cables or £1000 HDMI cables).

Go the other way, the cheaper something is, the less perceived value it has and the more rubbish it is likely to be.

"Free", therefore, has no perceived value and hence, a person loses nothing by calling it crap. I bet if Cakewalk had sold this for $5 everyone would be raving how amazing it is. You are less likely to call it rubbish even for $5 because to do so would imply your have poor judgement for investing even $5 in it. Hence, it is awesome, even for $5.

I'm sure there is some clever name for this phenomenon, some confirmation bias or somesuch.
Jens' Syndrome ?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

cprompt wrote: Haven't tried it on vocals though.
You should - I heard it's awesome on vocals.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:
I heard that. They say its shite on drums tho ...

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sad to see people so disgusted about a free plugin.
Who for example?

Sad to see people put things into the mouth of other people which they never said.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
jens wrote:
Ha! And I heard that too!

jens wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
jens wrote:
Ha! And I heard that too!
Well, it must be true then ...

who sez?!

nIGhT-SoN wrote:And when you think Cakewalk was doing a good thing giving it for free. I guess we'll see more of this from other companies too... Sad to see people so disgusted about a free plugin.
You should go back and read my posts more carefully. Cakewalk is doing what every vendor does, they are marketing themselves, nothing more, nothing less. They, of course, want people to think that it's intrinsically good because that helps people perceive the value of the product and their firm.

How people perceive free things vary. Sometimes people over-value free product, like when they'll wait in line for hours for a free Ben and Jerry's ice cream cone. Sometimes it makes no difference, e.g., things of high utility such as "mosquito nets" are not used more or less because they were free, or not.

People tend to value free things less when they feel they are being manipulated, hence, Cakewalk doesn't want you to feel that way because that undermines the value of the campaign.

The entire modeled plugin industry is built on the perception of value of the real thing. It's a few lines of code, not a box of tubes and cloth wiring. It's really all about the mathematical function of an optical VCA. So, what you're probably noticing is that some of us don't readily buy into the hype. It's just a modeled optical compressor. Neat, but I don't feel like someone just gave me a box of tubes and some cloth wiring, they traded me a few lines of code for a few lines of information. Seems fair enough, and I played the game legitimately giving them genuine information. I'm not in their debt, we completed a fair transaction, I am happy enough with my end of the bargain, I hope that they are happy with theirs; if not, that's their problem, not mine. This product gets no less criticism or praise than any product that I paid real cash for. It wasn't actually free, it just didn't cost very much.

Cool ! Thanks, Son, my Lord, if you will. I also looked around for this old collection of Cakewalk's free plugins, found only non-working links, though.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

EDIT:

Regardless of whether you can get the RE for free or not, the utter garbage in this thread isn't worth letting any privy to it.

Where is "what's his name" ?
Last edited by incubus on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

I've heard it's good....the running gag is now on crutches. :zzz:

1wob2many wrote:I've heard it's good....the running gag is now on crutches. :zzz:
I can't be bothered reading all 19 pages of comments. Can you explain it to be briefly? Thanks in advance ... :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:
1wob2many wrote:I've heard it's good....the running gag is now on crutches. :zzz:
I can't be bothered reading all 19 pages of comments. Can you explain it to be briefly? Thanks in advance ... :)
Not unless you type your question properly. :hihi:

:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Effects”