Any Reaper experts here? (Solved)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know I should ask these questions in the Reaper forum, but I don't like having to sign up for yet another forum. .:shrug:

So maybe here someone can help me?

I have a midi routing question:

I'm experimenting with making chords thru tracks. I'm having a VSTi (e.g. Alpha) on Tracks 1 & 2, with Track 2
transposed.

My question: how (if possible) can I record the combined Midi output of Track 1 & 2 to a third track?

Thanx in Advance!

Z.
Last edited by ZeePok on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Im by no means a REAPER expert, but i can tell you how it works.

- Doubleclick empty space to create a new track

- Go to the MCP representation of the track

- Click where it says 'IN/OUT', (not I/O), go to 'Record: output' and select 'Record: output (MIDI)'

- Click the I/O button and add the 2 tracks you want to record as Receives

- Set the 2 Receives to MIDI: All

Now when you press Record, the MIDI of the other 2 tracks will be recorded into the new track.

Despite your reservations, you should sign up at the Reaper forum. You'll learn a lot and get a lot of help there.

Meanwhile ...
Disable the Alphas (I seem to recall that there was something odd about Alpha outputting MIDI itself),
Send both tracks (MIDI only) to a fourth track,
Record the Output of that track.

Loads of details of each step are in the User Guide. There are other approaches that may suit you better, depending on what your exact aims are (and how / where you are transposing the notes).
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Yess! Got it! :) :party:

Thanks for your pointers, fellas, very helpful! :cool:

You know, there are things in life you try and try but just can't get to grips with.

Such thing for me is the Reaper Guide. Frankly: it's awful!

I don't mean the text, that's fine, but the layout; a Nightmare! All text and illustrations in one block, very 'densely populated', no 'air'.

Not very inviting to read. And with my lesser eyesight after awhile it all becomes one blur!

To check if I wasn't imagining things I compared the excellent Guide to Tracktion. Night and Day ...

So thanks again for your input, very helpful! :tu:

zxant wrote:You know, there are things in life you try and try but just can't get to grips with.
Dont feel bad, youre not the only one. I have struggled with this myself when i wanted to record the MIDI output of a plugin into a track and just didnt see an obvious way to get it done. So i too asked here on KVR and i believe it was Evil Dragon who clued me in. Once you know the way, its simple. :)

zxant wrote: 
Such thing for me is the Reaper Guide. Frankly: it's awful!
Could be better, I agree.

But there are tons of good tutorials on YT (e.g. The Reaper blog or Reaper Mania).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”