NewSonicArts - Freestyle ...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Freestyle

newsonicarts wrote:
Chandran wrote:The reason Im not interested by freestyle is the 8 macros knobs limitation...
Multiple Macro pages were added in a update a few weeks ago :)

Cool I check the demo again! I own granite, nuance, and vice great instruments...

In fact we can make many macros pages however ableton live automation can only connect to 8... I think there is a freestyle bug because I have created an "PluginAutoPopulateThreshold wih the 128 parameters" option text file and when I load freestyle only 8 are shown, the display of vst in the rack is very slow.
The concept is great I hope you resolve this bugs soon, And I will try again. I'm very interested by this plugin.
Cheers!
D

Chandran the plugin itself only connects 8 parameters to the host, you can have many macros inside the plugin but only the first eight will communicate with your DAW.

Liero wrote:Chandran the plugin itself only connects 8 parameters to the host, you can have many macros inside the plugin but only the first eight will communicate with your DAW.
Hmm that seems too low, will look into that.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

I'm very excited about Freestyle. I've been demoing it last night and will continue to do so this morning. I'll admit that it has crashed (Mac PRo) both Reaper (latest version) and Logic (latest version) so that I've yet to make it to the end of the 30min trial. I've been throwing random plugins at it for testing sake. I've yet to determine a pattern to the crashes. I'm going to test Ableton right now.

This might be a Reaper issue, but when you click on a plugin and it opens in its own window, closing that second window also closes Freestyle's window. You have to go back to the channel strip and open it again. This holds true on both AU and VST. Logic performs properly.

Regardless of the crashes, I might pull the trigger and purchase. As I can see lots of potential. I do have a wish or two. These might have been requested before. I read through the posts last eve, but my aging brain is not a friend of short term memory...haha.

1. Place a mixer where you like in the chain. Multiple mixers.
2. Audio routing where you can have more that one connections on a single input. Allowing for more complex routing between whatever you prefer.
3. Option to lock an FX in place so routing does not move it to a different position in the chain.
4. Drag and drop to another location after/once something has been placed.
5. Cables subtly glow or faintly light up when audio or midi is is passing through. Visual feedback.

You have a winner on your hands here. I'm a big BlueCat Patchworks fan, and this is a whole new level. Bravo.

L

I tested Freestyle for the first time since the beta was released, and I really like it. One feature, which is awesome, is the crossfade

Some plugins you need update the thumbnail on though. Don't know if this is a bug within Freestyle, or if it is how these plugins are handling the graphics.

If I could wish for a new feature though (this wasn't one of the ones you could vote for, I think), it would be a built-in bitbridge, to handle 32-bit plugins in the 64-bit version of Freestyle.

Anyway, I will definitely get this plugin using the crossgrade option with the extra discount available now :)

Oh, and also, Freestyle is easier on the CPU than DDMF Metaplugin. Haven't compared it yet against Image-Line Minihost or Native Instruments Kore 2.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Is there some way to get it to register more than one VST folder for scanning ?
If I scan my Instruments folder then point to my effects folder, the instruments folder
disappears.
Looked in the manual ( which is a bit scant ) and can't see any answer.

I have more than 1 VST folder. Seperate folders for Instruments; Effects; MIDI etc not on my C drive.
Not to mention the stupid VST's that insist on going into a Steinberg folder etc

Make symlinks to all your folders with plugins in, put them in one folder and point Freestyle to that.

(Even better is make a symlink for each plugin you want in Freestyle - or any other host - then organise them by folder/subfolder and let your host scan the folder they are in and you have a great way to completely control which plugins are used by the host and to organize them in meaningful folders).

BTW in my opinion the smallest available UI size - compact - is way, way too large. On 1080p screens it takes up a lot of space and for people who mainly have the browser disabled and use only the macro controls it just takes a lot of unnecessary space, making plugin usage in docked windows (like in Reaper) problematic...

@ aMUSEd

Guess I need to look up symlinks.
Thanks for the tip. :tu:

Symbolic links - something like shortcuts/aliases but they appear to hosts as real folders/plugins whereas not all hosts can follow shortcuts (only Live and a couple of others) - they can be made using command line or various apps (I use Pathfinder on Mac)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/co ... -or-linux/

https://gigaom.com/2011/04/27/how-to-cr ... -on-a-mac/

h2ogun99 wrote: You have a winner on your hands here. I'm a big BlueCat Patchworks fan, and this is a whole new level. Bravo.
Same here - I agree and hope that NSA knows they have something special here.

I'm still holding off on a purchase but I'd say that if stability seems ok after more testing and the macro destination ranges get fixed, I'm going to be onboard (and hope that this plugin gets a lot of love and development).

h2ogun99 wrote:I'm very excited about Freestyle. I've been demoing it last night and will continue to do so this morning. I'll admit that it has crashed (Mac PRo) both Reaper (latest version) and Logic (latest version) so that I've yet to make it to the end of the 30min trial. I've been throwing random plugins at it for testing sake. I've yet to determine a pattern to the crashes. I'm going to test Ableton right now.
Very sorry (and disappointed) to hear that. The only crash we are aware of is that certain plugins (one example Dmitry Sches Diversion) can crash when changing snapshots. This seems to be because they don't like having their chunk set while audio is running, which is technically their bug. If this becomes a common issue we will have to add a 'safe mode' to the Snapshots for slower, but safer recall. So i'm wondering did the crash occur during Snapshot recall?

In anycase, it would be great if you could send the OSX crash logs. If you do not know how to do that please PM me.

h2ogun99 wrote: 1. Place a mixer where you like in the chain. Multiple mixers.
This is possible. Easiest way to do it is in the Structure View, right click on any pin and then select 'Insert' -> 'Mixer' from the context menu.

h2ogun99 wrote: 2. Audio routing where you can have more that one connections on a single input. Allowing for more complex routing between whatever you prefer.
Honestly I think we will never add this, it goes against certain design principles of the engine. However, you can just use a mixer to do the same thing (right click on the input and do Insert Mixer). And now that I think of it, It would be cool in future to automate this by shift+drag.

h2ogun99 wrote: 3. Option to lock an FX in place so routing does not move it to a different position in the chain.
Not sure what you mean here. FX Bypass? That is available on internal FX and on VSTS in the next build (sorry - got broken in the last release).

h2ogun99 wrote: 4. Drag and drop to another location after/once something has been placed.
It's possible in the Rack View, but we definitely plan to add this also to the Structure View in a later update.

h2ogun99 wrote: 5. Cables subtly glow or faintly light up when audio or midi is is passing through. Visual feedback.
Hmmm, maybe one day... :roll:

h2ogun99 wrote: You have a winner on your hands here. I'm a big BlueCat Patchworks fan, and this is a whole new level. Bravo.

L
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Dunc wrote:Is there some way to get it to register more than one VST folder for scanning ?
If I scan my Instruments folder then point to my effects folder, the instruments folder
disappears.
Looked in the manual ( which is a bit scant ) and can't see any answer.

I have more than 1 VST folder. Seperate folders for Instruments; Effects; MIDI etc not on my C drive.
Not to mention the stupid VST's that insist on going into a Steinberg folder etc
Currently no, but this seems to be a fairly common request so we may add this in future. Thanks for amused for the symlinks workaround though, but I guess this is a OSX only.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Thank you NSA for the splendid reply! Grateful the the time you took to answer and even more grateful for talent and effort towards Freestyle.

L

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”