Attack of the 75-Dollar DAW!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gremlinmoon wrote:more of a Neuromancer feel.
:tu: :borg:

I'm all for that feel!

Exactly the cold, technological feel that made me try trackers. After some time using Jeskola Buzz, I ended up with a Renoise license and love it.

xbitz wrote:wort to check the tutorial songs they introduce all the basic techniques (press "renoise" at the bottom right corner of the main app) there is probability based project too "tutorial - maybe melodies" or something similar
Actually checked some of these out, yesterday. They will no doubt be useful later on, but for now they presume a little too much previous knowledge i.e not for beginners

Would be great if they got together with mpv or groove3 for a 4-hour set of tutorials :tu:

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

One of the biggest fail in Renoise - arrangement. If you trying to write "no patteren based" music - goodbye Renoise. Also modulation curves that locked in patterns... arrgghh... If devs will solve this problem Renoise will be one of the greatest daw. Even without pianoroll and audiotracks implementation. Nowadays Renoise good only like a big sampler for sketches.

The nice thing about trakker-style DAWs is the improbability of over-baking a song. After I sequence/arrange a few tracks, I typically get tired of the whole thing and say to myself, "minimal is good."

Piano rolls make it too tempting for me to add "... just one more layer." :scared:

Andrey Marchenko wrote:One of the biggest fail in Renoise - arrangement. If you trying to write "no patteren based" music - goodbye Renoise.
How is this a fail? The focus of the Renoise team is to build an excellent pattern-based DAW and they explicitly describe it as one. No one's trying to fool any one. :shrug:
Andrey Marchenko wrote:Also modulation curves that locked in patterns... arrgghh... If devs will solve this problem Renoise will be one of the greatest daw. Even without pianoroll and audiotracks implementation. Nowadays Renoise good only like a big sampler for sketches.
Under the the graphical envelope frame there is a +/Line button that enables you to "draw a linear ramp across multiple patterns".

Turning off pattern lock with the LOCK button (also under the graphic envelope frame) allows you to freely adjust the zoom for drawing (and seeing) across all or multiple patterns.

Andrey Marchenko wrote:One of the biggest fail in Renoise - arrangement. If you trying to write "no patteren based" music - goodbye Renoise. Also modulation curves that locked in patterns... arrgghh... If devs will solve this problem Renoise will be one of the greatest daw. Even without pianoroll and audiotracks implementation. Nowadays Renoise good only like a big sampler for sketches.
dunno not seems too difficulty for me enabling/disabling(resetting) LFOs with custom curves(they can use any LPC(line per cycle) so they are totally pattern length independent ) in the pattern/phrase editor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MZKqpGPzJA

it's quite fun with keymapped phrases or hydra with multiple lfoed fx chains or with dynamic LCP(modulated modulation) ... etc. :D

gremlinmoon wrote:I think Renoise gives you the most street cred out of any DAW. It pretty much let's everyone else know that you can hack into the Matrix. Zero-hipster vibe, more of a Neuromancer feel.
:hihi:

xbitz wrote:
Andrey Marchenko wrote:One of the biggest fail in Renoise - arrangement. If you trying to write "no patteren based" music - goodbye Renoise. Also modulation curves that locked in patterns... arrgghh... If devs will solve this problem Renoise will be one of the greatest daw. Even without pianoroll and audiotracks implementation. Nowadays Renoise good only like a big sampler for sketches.
dunno not seems too difficulty for me enabling/disabling(resetting) LFOs with custom curves(they can use any LPC(line per cycle) so they are totally pattern length independent ) in the pattern/phrase editor

it's quite fun with keymapped phrases or hydra with multiple lfoed fx chains or with dynamic LCP(modulated modulation) ... etc. :D
Nice demo.

I'll won't give up a traditional DAW for Renoise any day (currently using Live) - there are too many things that are different enough (beyond just the tracker-based workflow), so when I have to get more "traditional" things done quick, I'm working in Live.

That said, I won't give up Renoise either - it just forces you to produce differently, so if you can afford to be more open-ended about your workflow and your results, it can be a creative boost. If it comes up a bit short as a DAW, it still exceeds beyond a traditional tracker.

Certainly it's a solid piece of software for the money; feels like a lot of love goes into developing it. And +1 for just looking really cool on a big monitor :)

dformd wrote:
xbitz wrote:

Nice demo.
another idea (for pattern length independent effects), signal follower + formula device and which trigger the lfo

code of formula device

Code: Select all

function foo(p)
  if p>0 then
    return 1
  else
    return 0
  end
end
if it gets signal from the follower then set its out to 1 which trigger the lfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnvWzthg8JU

Renoise is brilliant :D

Renoise is the DAW for excel lovers. :clown:

Andrey Marchenko wrote:One of the biggest fail in Renoise - arrangement. If you trying to write "no patteren based" music - goodbye Renoise.
I think this could be "solved" with a simple toggle switch (maybe an infinity"sideways eight" symbol) at the pattern length line-selector that indicates something like "record until stop." This would then turn a pattern into a clip. This would push it into FL Studio /Ableton territory though and other workflow features would need to be introduced to accommodate it. And then they would need to hire more staff to maintain it, sell more volume, more advertising costs, etc... I think Redux is strategically clever without over-reach -- instead of competing for marketshare with Abes/Bitwig/FL -- spin off a product that brings the tracker into them.

Not really true. You can simply set up a bunch of blank patterns and set it to record continuously between patterns. That's actually the main way I use it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”