Is there a plugin like RBass or MaxxBass, even paid.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Re: No one cares. Actually I didn't know that Bark of Dog was a pisstake parody of Voice of God - I found that info kinda interesting :)

Cakewalk giving away their LA2A for free

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=471598
Play it by ear

Thanks for the link, but, what does it have to do with this thread?

realmarco wrote:
incubus wrote:Or, understand that the plug is unique and quit trying to belittle people who know better (who f....ing cares about some bark/dog nonsense)
wow don't take it personnal i don't know u so i don't know if you're just beginning or hve been doing this for a long time
Didn't I read right before that how you could simply do it with an eq curve? Yeah, it was a dick response but I grow SO weary of the "every single thing made is placebo and no reason to get anything" stuff.

Let me add one more thing before this gets quoted: If it was so easy to reproduce, then WHY has this been brought up so many times with NO ANSWER ;)

Frankly, it's just not expensive enough (They are both on sale all the time) to moan over. Just get it, use it, enjoy it. Stressing out about getting some freaking curve is useless.

incubus wrote:Thanks for the link, but, what does it have to do with this thread?
mementus wrote:Hello and thanks for your tips.

I am looking for a plugin like RBass or MaxxBass. Do you have any advice?
I am also seeking an LA2A comp plugin affordable.

Yay :hyper:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I'm kinda curious as to why not just buy it when it goes on sale. I'm sure I saw it for $29 not too long ago. Black Friday is right around the corner and they usually have quite an aggressive sale from Black Friday to New Years. I think rather than taking some of the tricks mentioned above to replace MaxxBass, some of those you can use to really enhance your low end. Such as using MaxxBass to enhance a Kick Drums and then sending that signal to an Aux or two. Compress the yeezus out of it and blend it back in. Then blend that back in to taste (be sure it is in phase). I sais an Aux or two cause I will often use at least two Aux sends on a Kick Drum. I use the Aphex Exciter to give my Kick more presence. This will help the Kick Level stay relevant on smaller systems. Many of our consumers are listening on smaller systems so mix translating on smaller systems is clutch right now.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

I only like RBass with the intensity at it's lowest setting and I think the pleasing effect many like about it is simply the phase shift from the minimal phase crossover. Phase shift on low end colours the sound a lot and smears the harmonics such that the bass lags behind the upper sine components.

This gives the leading edge of the bass transient more clarity and "pluck" whilst the ringing from the crossover extends the sustain and excites the harmonics around the "cutoff".

This is precisely why plugins such as Fabfilter Saturn, Waves TransX and Quadrafuzz are often cited as great bass enhancers, even at default settings!

Personally, I tend to go for the same effect but with more control using Equilibrium's allpass filters. These achieve a similar phase shift and effect that you would get from using a multiband plugin with minimum phase crossovers. Actually, it was me who asked Dave Gamble very nicely to add allpasses to Equilibrium's filter types before release for just this application! :)

Try a couple of Allpasses at the same frequencies using 2nd order (12dB/oct) or even 4th order (24dB/oct) that you would use in RBass or where you would place crossovers in Saturn/Quadrafuzz, etc., you might be surprised at how similar the sonic fingerprint is! If you don't have Equilibrium, Kilohearts Disperser is a nice allpass filter and Tone2 Bifilter has one too I believe.

I hope this is of interest to some people! :)

Cheers

Scorb

(Edited for typos)
Last edited by djscorb on Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

djscorb wrote:I hope this is interest to some people! :)
It is, thanks for posting. :hug:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

For me MaxxBass is the go-to option due to simplicity. But for further processing (sub-bass and dynamics) I would go for Voxengo Lf Max Punch. I also tried Lo-Air I think it's called for sub-bass generation and did not like the results at all since they were not consistent in time. Voxengo's does that job alot better (and yet not perfect).

To me it makes more sense to program your own sinewave sub-bass an octave lower than your bassline - and just blend to taste. That way you have full control and zero latency. But adding upper harmonics to the low end to help make it punch out more (ie: on laptop speakers etc) is a special task that I haven't quite got the hang of yet - but I'm getting the best results with highpassing the ultra-lows (under 20hz) and then lightly saturating the subs and up with a multiband like Saturn, then blending it with the dry signal. The basic science behind it, atleast how I picture it in my silly head, is you are effectively making the bass less sine-wavey and more square-wavey... and that lifts it right out of the mix. As mentioned, adding resonance to the highpass (effectively a boost above the cut-off) is also important.

Copy your bass on a new track.
Mono it.
Pitch down 1/2 octaves.
Low cut so that bass and subbass do not overlap.
Saturate.
Limit.
Done.

incubus wrote:Not sure how 2016 works, but back in the day, I tried desperately to reproduce the "rbass" sounds, much misery ensued, especially considering that you can get it (at least used) at a great price.
That's the thing with any good dev, they usually do their homework.

Although their products may seemingly be simple on the outside, on the inside they're usually very thoroughly researched and thought out. Waves is no exception really.

That said I'm sure there are alternatives, how the measure up is another matter entirely.

lolilol1975 wrote:Copy your bass on a new track.
Mono it.
Pitch down 1/2 octaves.
Low cut so that bass and subbass do not overlap.
Saturate.
Limit.
Done.
Also not a bad technique, if you have the time for it.

I'd also like to cut away at any of the excess build up frequencies before saturating and and boost any presence frequencies after. Just to enhance the enhancment, so to speak. :ud:

That said, if you're pressured for time, having a low-end enhancing plugins you can throw on and quickly set can be a godsend.

djscorb wrote:I only like RBass with the intensity at it's lowest setting and I think the pleasing effect many like about it is simply the phase shift from the minimal phase crossover. Phase shift on low end colours the sound a lot and smears the harmonics such that the bass lags behind the upper sine components.

This gives the leading edge of the bass transient more clarity and "pluck" whilst the ringing from the crossover extends the sustain and excites the harmonics around the "cutoff".

This is precisely why plugins such as Fabfilter Saturn, Waves TransX and Quadrafuzz are often cited as great bass enhancers, even at default settings!

Personally, I tend to go for the same effect but with more control using Equilibrium's allpass filters. These achieve a similar phase shift and effect that you would get from using a multiband plugin with minimum phase crossovers. Actually, it was me who asked Dave Gamble very nicely to add allpasses to Equilibrium's filter types before release for just this application! :)

Try a couple of Allpasses at the same frequencies using 2nd order (12dB/oct) or even 4th order (24dB/oct) that you would use in RBass or where you would place crossovers in Saturn/Quadrafuzz, etc., you might be surprised at how similar the sonic fingerprint is! If you don't have Equilibrium, Kilohearts Disperser is a nice allpass filter and Tone2 Bifilter has one too I believe.

I hope this is of interest to some people! :)

Cheers

Scorb

(Edited for typos)
Didn't really understand this post but it sure sounds interesting.
For the record, ReaEQ also has an All pass filter.

Return to “Effects”