One Synth Challenge #92: Digits 2 by Extent of the Jam (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Digits

Taron wrote:Has somebody noticed preset changes after reloading a project, especially something like GAIN being put back to default?!
I have notice change even while changing presets from library. Like it take some parameters from previously selected preset and morph/mix them together. Problem is to find which parameters are affected. Real problem is that this presets sounds like that only till you reload your project. Then it loads correct parameters for preset and thats why it sounds different and your sound is lost because it was not saved only badly reproduced.

It happened for me twice so it was twice double attempt to recreate that sound again. Quick fix that work for me is not to change preset on instance I wish to preserve while testing how it will sound with other preset. So to test new preset/sound I added another instance.

The biggest annoyance for me (self inflicted :dog: :clown: ) is when I go to save a new preset, sometimes I let the left mouse go before I get to the bottom of the preset list for the <save preset> item, and end up loading up something else AND losing all the work I have just done - bah! :dog: :dog:

Now I gotta go and make a nicer guitar-ish sound - the one in the mix is a little too "distorted" - sounds nice, but my ears say it needs to be a bit cleaner as it's backing and needs to cut through a bit better. :party:

Also have a main melody line going (with some attempt at harmonies!) but this one is at the moment "piano-like", but I wonder where to go with it ... needs a fast-ish attack and not too much sustain but am still trying to figure the best timbre - don't want to go with totally predictable "stock" sounds but may have to due to lack of time (gotta see my mum!)... sigh ...

dB

Those clicks, tho.

Seriosly having a hard time getting rid of the envelope clicks, might need to figure out a way to just roll with them xD. Vinyl crackle on everything?

:P

Guenon wrote:Seriosly having a hard time getting rid of the envelope clicks, might need to figure out a way to just roll with them xD. Vinyl crackle on everything?

:P
I'm not having that problem much at all, any specific settings causing it? Maybe try reset the oscillator?

z.prime wrote:I'm not having that problem much at all, any specific settings causing it? Maybe try reset the oscillator?
For example, something with resonance, and parameters like "Width" being modulated, clicks almost every time when I release a note. Resetting the oscillator seems to help some other cases, thanks. It's these note offs that are the main culprit here, no matter how I set the envelope fade etc. The best remedy I can think of is timing notes so that they release when something percussive hits, masking the click :) (if not volume automating every release, ugh).

Guenon wrote:Those clicks, tho.
Yeah, me too. Seems to be on env release. I've hidden them in delays and reverbs.

dB

Is it possible the infinite loop setting for lfo resets on load to a slightly different phase from what was last tweaked before saving?
That was a mouthful:)

********** Preview now deleted *************
dB
Last edited by doctorbob on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I experience the clicks when the lock/frq is set very low and the min shaper is set low and the shaper env sustain is set low. Pretty annoying.

I mus say this is an interesting synth. Some sounds are so fast to dial in, while others are close to impossible. (As it feels now at least..)
Have been torturing myself to get half decent percussion sounds, but it's hard.. Just read through the thread and it see,s I'm not alone.. Going to try out some of your tips, guys. Thanx for sharing.. :)
Analogue and digital alike - inside and outside the box. All good music is done with passion and love, not religious convictions!

Yup, clicks (basically on/off transients I guess of some sort), can be annoying! My lead sound above does suffer a little on it's attack phase - which needs to be sharp to really HIT. But, it does get "lost" in the overall "mush" of the backing and reverb, so I am not too worried about this one sound. I do like the modulations, and the nice delay of onset of the LFO's - used in that lead voice to create the filtering and vibrato FX - very happy with that.

dB

HiHat and Kick sound good,the snares are very quite rough, but I can do with alternative percussions this time.

For the kick one shot LFO x 3,
ramp down shape, on Shaper Picth and Width, each LFO with slightly different rate.
And high Reso.

For the HiHat I use max Reso
and LFO, noise shape, on everything.

Of course with the relative right pitch settings and notes, for kick and HiHat.

BTW, I have no clicks so far, I wonder if it's because I use the 32-bit build, but it shouldn't make a difference.

https://soundcloud.com/zerothefox/zerof ... uds-osc-92

FL Studio 12.3

18 Digits
12 OTT
2 Fruity Limiter
15 Fruity Parametric EQ 2
11 Fruity Reeverb 2
3 Fruity Delay Bank
1 Soundgoodizer
1 Fruity Multiband Compressor
1 Fruity Stereo Enhancer
1 Fruity Balance

Dunno, but it's my longest track to date. so many problems with this, mainly at the beginning of the month, where I was getting tons of crashes all the time, but they went away.
I would've done more patches, but my PC started crying for help
It's very tasty, I swear!

liqih wrote: BTW, I have no clicks so far, I wonder if it's because I use the 32-bit build, but it shouldn't make a difference.
You're right, no difference - I'm using the 32-bit build and I do get nasty clicks - also, if you are working the filter (a la wah wah), then the clicks can be more like quacks!

Just avoided any presets with too many nasty clicks - so far so good, can't hear any in the mix. Yeah, perc is tricky - just gotta go with what sounds OK for your track. My kick has 4 layers, snare 2, crash 2, I also have a rim hit, ride, and a tambourine/shaker sound. So, 12 instances for my bit of perc ... my lead has 2 instances, the guitar-ish sound 3, the melody line has 3 instances as well, ie mel + 2 harmonies mixed in. Plus the usual suspects, bass, keys, strings/pad

Hope to have a rough and ready mix done in time for submission. Gotta go now - 6 hour drive to see my mother for a week - stuff to mend, fences, a ceiling coz a header tank overflowed - she's bedbound more or less, but at 91 she's doing OK - probably another 10 years to go I suspect ...

dB

Return to “Instruments”