That's really too much now

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Had left my machine running in the afternoon. Windows 10. Came back to it this evening, a few hours later.
Was greeted with a screen that said my OS was in the process of being updated. Subsequently found out that this is an "anniversary update" Microsoft seems mightily proud of. Windows10 updates automatically; there's nothing the Average Joe user like me can do about this. Restarted Reaper; loaded the song that had been loaded when I left a few hours ago. One message from XLN that AD isn't authorized for this machine. More messages for all the Waves plugins I am using for this song. Started Waves Central; it tells me that all my licenses are on a "disconnected device". Since it's the same machine Prior to the update, there's no way to move the licenses to the Cloud. Would have to use the "recover licenses" function. Waves tells me I can use this function only once a year. When's the next Windows10 update due?

f**k this shit!!!

WHY THE f**k AM I SO BRAINDEAD TO PAY FOR ALL THOSE PLUGINS???

!!!f**kers f**kers f**kers!!!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Waves Tech Support is reserved for customers whose products are currently covered by Waves Update Plan.
So nice!!!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I managed to revert to the previous build - that made AD2 work again (but with the XLN installer it's not a problem to recover licenses anyway) but Waves Central still believes the licenses are used for another different device.

Please take note:

no problem with Ilok soft and Plugin Alliance etc. whatsoever.

You can disable and stop Windows Update -service? Enable it when you want to update (taking a backup of OS partition before)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote:You can disable and stop Windows Update -service? Enable it when you want to update (taking a backup of OS partition before)
Only with the "Pro" edition. :(
Pro - ha ha!

Ayorinde wrote:
legendCNCD wrote:You can disable and stop Windows Update -service? Enable it when you want to update (taking a backup of OS partition before)
Only with the "Pro" edition. :(
Pro - ha ha!
he's talking about disabling the actual service via the services management console - that works on all editions

there's also this which lets you hide specific updates (so in theory you could hide the anniv update but keep getting security updates)

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-unw ... windows-10

That's why Windows 10 will have to wait...
Indefinitely... for now :D

Updates replaced virus threat these days. You can prevent w10 from updating by setting all net connections as "metered", wireless connections can be set in control panel, wired connections can be set by registry edit. If you find a safe moment to try to update, you can just flip the switch then.

For the record, I managed to fix the problem later that evening - after googling it and browsing forums - needless to say there does not seem to be any info whatsoever on Waves' Website.

Apparently the update made my (disabled, I don't even use it) LAN controller lose its Network Address - and curiously enough Waves Central apparently uses this as a basis for an estimation whether it's the same device or not - that doesn't make any sense to me, but the "disconnected device" which Waves Central listed was carrying this number, so I had to copy and paste it from Waves Central into the device Manager's properties window for my LAN Controller and restart my machine.

And I just had purchased H-Reverb the day before and actually had planned to use the bit of quality time I had to play around with it instead of having to fix this shitty problem in order to even be able to load it.

That has taught me something: it certainly was the last Waves plugin I ever purchased.

^^^^
I'm glad that you got it sorted out.

And I'm sure that you will be letting Waves know - both about its 'picky' hardware checks and your future purchasing decision.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

sadly Waves isn't the only company that uses your network MAC address as the system ID, for developers it's an easy option as they presume your LAN/wLAN is built in and won't ever change (great theory 'til you're using a desktop with wifi card), and it's the only thing easily accessible that is guaranteed unique (except as you've seen software can over-ride the hardware address)

only really safe option with waves is to put the licenses on a usb drive.I actually wish they still supported ilok activation since if I'm going to have to have a usb device plugged in to authorise waves I'd like to save a usb port and use something I've already got plugged in

Looking forward I am going to be more carefull with plug in purchases and their CP method.

Elicenser software doesn't function after updates but is a minor fix, just run it as administrator. but other CP may be more inconvenient.
dedication to flying

It looks like W10 can turn off metered connection setting by itself, at least for wireless (it's gonna cost me as my connection, in fact, is metered). So better to disable update service altogether, this helped. Good work Microsoft, if I don't cool off by tomorrow, I'll be rolling back all machines to XP. :x :bang:

Funny enough not had any problems, saying that for some reason my machine refutes the update [Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496).] If this is the anniversary update then lucky me. Any other subsequent updates are perfectly fine :)

Zombie Queen wrote:Good work Microsoft, if I don't cool off by tomorrow, I'll be rolling back all machines to XP. :x :bang:
I was really happy on XP until last year when support from dev's was dissapearing. When Live stopped supporting XP I bit the bullet and got a machine with Win8.1 ... I'll not upgrade again until I absolutely have to.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”