Effects that can layer input envelope following samples?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can you name any insert effects that will play a sample, (say tape noise for example), when I pass audio through it? Also, the sample player needs to have an envelope follower so it sounds like part of the original audio in terms of volume envelope.

Another typical example would be adding ambience noise to a sample you had recorded.

BeatSkillz ThatThing can do it, and I use it for that. (I never use the chorus/filters on the plugin though, since I have far better options)

I find the layered sample functionality useful though, and it has volume and pitch control which are of course handy, but I just wondered what if any other options there are.

Even better, I just realised that all the samples are just wav files so you can add your own to where they are saved, which is great as there are only a few of the factory ones I like.

Ideally i'd like more control over the sample layer, even if it's just filters, but typical sampler controls would be great.

If no such thing exists, i'm sure it can't be that hard for one of the talented dev's here to code? :D

So basically you want to add hiss to your clean samples?

I would think any sort of sidechained level control could do the job.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:So basically you want to add hiss to your clean samples?
I just used tape as an example. I sometimes use field recordings for example.
I would think any sort of sidechained level control could do the job.
That's a long manual way of doing it, as it would involve another two tracks, and doesn't give quite the same degree of flexibility of at what point I want it in my insert chain.

I'm looking for an easier solution where one insert plugin does what I want, like ThatThing does to a degree.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. :)

ThatThing reacts to the louder sounds, so just putting multiple ThatThings in series should work for layering ambiance sounds in most situations.

[edit]
But you can try the KVR Developers Challenge 2016 Wish List:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=470071

What DAW are you using? Sounds like a good candidate for a fairly simple Max4Live device.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

pottering wrote:ThatThing reacts to the louder sounds, so just putting multiple ThatThings in series should work for layering ambiance sounds in most situations.

[edit]
But you can try the KVR Developers Challenge 2016 Wish List:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=470071
It's not layering ambience i'm really looking for. Just more control over the envelope follower and maybe some filters.

deastman wrote:What DAW are you using? Sounds like a good candidate for a fairly simple Max4Live device.
Cubase. Ah well.

If I understand correctly what you are looking for,I think that Mux Modular has everything you need to do this.

Taifunk wrote:If I understand correctly what you are looking for,I think that Mux Modular has everything you need to do this.
Thanks, i'll look into that.

Return to “Effects”